UnnamedHarald profile image 92

Can originally public images be altered and then stop others from using the "new" images?

I was looking at a mug shot of a person mentioned in one of my hubs at one of those mugshot-type sites. It said the mug shot image they showed was originally public but they "marked" it with their own text and threatened to come after anyone who used their image. Is this kosher? Can you turn something public into "yours" simply by altering it? This whole copyright thing is getting out of hand. Unfortunately, I haven't yet found the original.

Kim Cantrell profile image62

Kim Cantrell says

msorensson profile image62

msorensson says

KatrineDalMonte says