Hi kittykat34, welcome to Hubpages!
1. Go to the Learning Center http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents - You will learn everything you want to know (well, almost) about writing quality hubs. I'm still learning. :)
2. Write about things you know or are interested in and ask yourself "Self, will other people be interested in this as well?" :D
3. Write on different topics to find your niche.
4. On my first month here on Hubpages, I took the "30hubs in 30days" challenge - It was very difficult for me to do, but it helped me get started and definitely helped me focused. That might help you too.
5. Add related Amazon and eBay links to your hubs. I don't have eBay, but I'm doing well with Amazon.
6. Patience, patience, patience - It takes time for hubs to mature and get ranked by search engines. On my first first month, I earned a big zero. But on my second month I earned about $3 and had my first Amazon sale. I was ecstatic!
I wish you all the best here on Hubpages.