UnnamedHarald profile image 93

How do websites get away with attaching rights to images that were/are in the public domain?

I've seen images on various websites that have "rights reserved" or "licensing required" and yet some are public domain images in WikimediaCommons. There are also images that I suspect are in the public domain but can't find them labeled as such (e.g. World War 1 images that were published during the war). Is it possible for public domain images-- or images that the copyright has expired-- to somehow be grabbed by a company or person and impose licensing fees. I see this situation quite frequently (Flickr, for example). Would physical possession of the public domain photo make any difference?

DS Duby profile image88

DS Duby says

UnnamedHarald profile image93

David Hunt (UnnamedHarald) says

GoldenThreadPress says

• Simone Smith profile image

Simone Haruko Smith (Simone Smith) 4 years ago

Just a note: you do not actually have the right to distribute the image under a Creative Commons license- you only have the right to use it for your own purposes- so I'd change those citations!

Larry Wall says