Georgie Lowery profile image 96

Why would an ad need to access my camera and microphone?

I right clicked on an ad at the bottom of one of my Hubs. Since one of the options it gave me was "settings," I decided to give it a look-see. I have the default settings on my laptop to disallow anything to use my camera and microphone, but why on earth would an ad need to do that? And what happens to folks who haven't set those preferences? This is an actual screenshot, by the way.

debris profile image87

Best Answer debris says

• Georgie Lowery profile image

Georgianna Lowery (Georgie Lowery) 4 years ago

I'd heard that rental companies had done this, but I wasn't 100% sure. Glad I bought my laptop from Walmart - only they could easily do it, too! Thanks for the info!

StayAwakeNow profile image60

Giani Noyez (StayAwakeNow) says

• Georgie Lowery profile image

Well that's good. I would hate for the whole internet to see me picking my nose! Thank you for the answer. :)

Marina Lazarevic profile image85

Marina (Marina Lazarevic) says

• Georgie Lowery profile image

I already have mine set to disallow use of the cam and mic. It just seemed strange to me! Thank you for the informed answer.

peanutroaster profile image78

peanutroaster says

TerryK81 profile image61

Terry A. Kennedy (TerryK81) says

• Georgie Lowery profile image

I still don't like the idea that someone could spy on me. It's kind of crazy!