Here is a list of steps you should follow.
1. Find out what topics you are good at.
2. Search for at least 3 long-tail keyword phrases that are related to your chosen topic. Make sure they have low competition and a considerable amount of monthly page views. 200k+
3. Come up with a search engine friendly title (use one of your keyword phrases in the title)
4. Organize your hub well and make use of different capsules to make it engaging. Your hub must have at least 800 words.
5. Insert your keyword phrases in the hub at most two times in a natural manner
6. Observe good grammar and free your hub from spelling errors prior publishing.
7, Promote your hub through social networking platforms such as Facebook and Twitter.
8. Update your hub if necessary.
I think that should be enough to give you an idea. By the way, welcome to Hubpages and good luck!