Jackie Lynnley profile image 80

Growing up did you take animals to the vet to be wormed and anti-fleas?

A friend and I were discussing this that we never recalled vet visits for our animals and they lived long healthy lives for the most part and I know there was no food bought for them; they caught their own and ate table scraps (in my case) and were healthy looking. Of course when rabies came to be that was a must but even then just for the dog. What was your experience?

Phyllis Doyle profile image91

Phyllis Doyle Burns (Phyllis Doyle) says

• Jackie Lynnley profile image

Jackie Lynnley 2 years ago

Well you know if God didn't give us cat and dog food I guess they were meant to eat ours!

Becky Katz profile image85

Becky Katz says

• Jackie Lynnley profile image

Jackie Lynnley 2 years ago

Brewers yeast for fleas, wow, tell me more about that. I gave my cat Lilly garlic for fleas and worms (she went to the vet a few times and was fixed) but she did take a dust bath now and then. White as snow and always clean. She lived to almost 20.

MizBejabbers says

• Jackie Lynnley profile image

Jackie Lynnley 2 years ago

Yes. Even though I never saw any I knew there were animal doctors for cows and horses and such. My brother was the only animal owner til I was about ten and got a kitten. I know his dog got bit by a rat and he had to shoot him, both about 15 yrs old.

Jackie Lynnley profile image80

Jackie Lynnley says

• Jackie Lynnley profile image

Jackie Lynnley 2 years ago

Yes, under $4.50 with no postage for 300 tablets!

LoisRyan13903 profile image76

LoisRyan13903 says

• Jackie Lynnley profile image

Jackie Lynnley 2 years ago

Thanks Lois; rabies shots was something that came along (well that i heard of) when I was a teen. Before that I don't think I ever heard of a Vet. lol Boy does that age me!

• Jackie Lynnley profile image

Jackie Lynnley 2 years ago

I wouldn't think of not having a vet today Kevin; I just wondered how they made it years ago without them. Did people do certain things to protect them or you know I have seen cats eat grass for their stomach; is it for worms? Dust baths for fleas?

• Jackie Lynnley profile image

Jackie Lynnley 2 years ago

I use to get dogs and cats from pounds and more than one of each died a couple days later and a vet said they wait too late to worm them til you buy them and sometimes give too much for weight.I want indoor outdoor pets so there are no liter boxes.