jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do page hits reflect good writing or are comments a far better indicator?

1. PaulStaley1 profile image78
    PaulStaley1posted 6 years ago

Do page hits reflect good writing or are comments a far better indicator?

I get a lot of hits but I can't tell if people are really reading because feedback is low---how can I encourage comments without being pushy? And when does the hubpage duration tool kick in?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

Neither is reflective.  It depends on where your traffic is coming from.  If you are getting a lot of hubpages traffic but your comments are low - then you possibly don't comment your reader's hubs, would be my guess.

I've never heard of a "Hubpages duration tool."

3. Jesus was a hippy profile image61
    Jesus was a hippyposted 6 years ago

Hello. Im fairly new to this but I can only imagine that page hits would indicate a capturing title while comments indicate that people have actually read the hub.

I think if you're looking for indications that you wrote a good hub, it is better to check the votes to see what people thought.

4. PaulStaley1 profile image78
    PaulStaley1posted 6 years ago

the duration tool under the "hub metrics" hasn't seemed to kick on for any of my hubs---they all say "not yet measured"

5. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I've had personal messages complimenting my hubs, but they did not leave a comment or vote.  I don't think either is indicitve of good writing.

I've read some Hubs that, seriously, should not even be here--barely readable, poor grammar, poor spelling--and yet there they are--and some with good comments.

I'd like to see people save comments for Hubs that are genuinely a good pieces of writing.

6. KevinTimothy profile image81
    KevinTimothyposted 6 years ago

I don't believe that either one indicates that you're a good writer.  Good writing is dictated by the level of puncuation, grammer, and paragraph structure.  It is very easy to accumulate page hits on a poorly written piece by simply running it through a traffic exchange.  One can also easily rack up comments by starting a controversial and provacative topic.

7. Artist-For-Hire profile image67
    Artist-For-Hireposted 6 years ago

Kevin makes some valid points...as does duffsmom. It's easy to get traffic, starting a controversial topic will also get a lot of feedback (not all complimentary) and a captivating titile will draw people in...but good writing has nothing to do with any of those.

A fantastically well written hub on a boring topic will not draw comments. For example.

Not sure about the hubpage duration tool however I love google analytics...you can see where your traffic is coming from, where it goes when after reading your hub (if readers exit or look at your profile/other hubs), how long they spend in each hub, loyalty of visitors (if they are repeat offenders or 1st time visitors) and heaps of other interesting reports.

If you haven't already, you need a google account - sign up for analytics (it's free). It's a matter of copying/pasting your unique number (ie UA-12345678-9) into the analytics box in your account at the bottom of your affiliate settings.