jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is there a limit on the amount of tags used on a hub if they are relevant tags?

1. dappledesigns profile image91
    dappledesignsposted 6 years ago

Is there a limit on the amount of tags used on a hub if they are relevant tags?

I'm sorry if this is somewhere (I'm sure it is)... I can't seem to find it. I understand you will get penalized if your tags are not relevant, but I am just curious if there is any sort of limit. Such as having: "photographing flowers" and "taking photographs of flowers" "flower photography".

2. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

Yes too many tags is considered spammy and like keyword stuffing.  I would use no more than 10 relevant tags per hub

3. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

I agree with Christin. For shorter hubs, up to a dozen tags may be acceptable. For longer hubs, the number grows. There are forum posts with further details. It is also worthwhile mentioning that some Hubbers keep adding tags until the automated warning comes on. But I don't use more than 10 tags in my hubs.

4. SmartAndFun profile image97
    SmartAndFunposted 6 years ago

I would love to know the answer on this, also. I have not been able to find any hard and fast rule. It seems that there is no magic number, and the number of tags you are allowed to have goes up as the number of words in your hub goes up. I have seen some hubbers suggest 5 or 6 tags, and some suggest no more than 20 and some suggest more than that. The learning center only gives a brief bit of info about tags and does not give specific numbers, at least not that I've found.

I have also found varying opinions as to what tags are actually used for. Some say Google uses them to help match your article with searches, others say they are used only internally here at HP.

I tend to use lots of tags. In my mind, covering every possible relevant base is smart, in case Google really is using those tags. I could be way off though, but have yet to find out for sure. I have never found any good answers. I just use as many relevant tags as I can think of, and if I get the "too many tags" message I delete some and it goes away.

LOL, now that I see the previous two answers, I guess my system is not so good.

working