jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Are categories a form of tagging?

1. shazwellyn profile image82
    shazwellynposted 7 years ago

Does the category that you list your hub under, a form of tagging?  I.e. if I had a hub categorised as 'entertainment', would 'entertainment' need to be repeated in the tags section?

Would 'entertainment', therefore, be part of a search criteria outside of hubpages if it appeared in the category section?

Much appreciated x

1. Cagsil profile image60
      Cagsilposted 7 years ago in reply to this

If it's any help. I always put the main category down as one of my tags. This way, it's picked up by any sort of search of that topic. Then I'll use a couple off subject, but related tags, to pull other assorted readers.(i.e.; Sexy is a tag I use for my picture hubs- Yet, the category is celebrity.)

So, I'll have celebrity or celebrities as one tag, and sexy as another.

Hoped I helped.

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 7 years ago in reply to this

It is not a form of tagging, but external traffic can easily be drawn into looking at 'topics' and finding pages that way. In that respect, it is beneficial for relevant traffic to find your page.... more traffic, and more chance of an adsense click or two.

shazwellynposted 7 years ago in reply to this

The mentor speaks!  Thanks babes.  This might just be basic stuff to many, but FAQ doesn't really touch on these finer details.

Darkside, his hub on tagging, talked about categories and keeping them broad.  I weren't sure if he was meaning that you should put the category in the tag, so outside sources might find your hub... http://hubpages.com/hub/tagging

Would be good to have some comments here x

1. profile image0
          ryankettposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Im not sure, Darkside knows so much more than me. Although I just told you to read everything from Mark Knowles and Darkside, I actually read this hub by somebody else.... http://hubpages.com/hub/Hubpages-Traffic-Use-of-Tags

Helped me a lot... in fact it added between 150-200 views a day to my traffic!

shazwellynposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks.  I've read through this, but still haven't quite got it so will read again.  Very helpful x

2. GeneralHowitzer profile image62
    GeneralHowitzerposted 7 years ago

As far as I am concerned it isnt... categorizing your hubs is actually organizing it in a manner you will save time and effort... I'll stand corrected I'm not very familiar with this stuff though...

working