jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Logos in pics

1. Claire Roach profile image66
    Claire Roachposted 4 years ago

Logos in pics

Hi I had a few pics in one of my hubs which had the websites URL on them.  Via email I was old I had to remove all of them but when I read the actual hub it said you can't have more than two.
    So which one is it?
    Kind regards
    Claire big_smile

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I'm not sure I can give you a good answer without knowing what website URL or logo was on your pics.

I wouldn't think if the URL was right on the pic there should be a big problem because it was free advertising for the site. That would bad though if they put the URL on it as a "watermark" so they knew if someone else used it without permission. Some graphics site do that. You have to pay to use the graphic and if you do, they send you a file without the "watermark".

Logos are a tough call. If you used a graphic from a company or service without their permission, they can ask you to remove it. An exception would be if you took a pic of something (say a Pepsi can) and used that. It's your picture, so you don't need permission. However ... yes, another exception. If you use a company or product logo and say something bad about it, you're treading a fine line. If you're not careful, you can be sued for slander, etc.

The best rule of thumb is to use your own graphics when possible. If you find a pic with a URL on it, read the site's copyright statement etc. If it says you can use it, do so. If it doesn't say yes or no, assume you need permission and send an email asking for permission.

I'm not sure if this helped. Hopefully some other people read your question and share their opinions.

3. Maggie Bennett profile image72
    Maggie Bennettposted 4 years ago

I've had a similar problem with a very recent post.  Retweaked the post numerous times and I kept getting emails from Hub Pages that are just boilerplate emails and didn't really point to anything specific.

I had to email a few times and ask for the specific problem.  I actually got a a specific response and I fixed the problem .... it was with a video.  Now, I hope it is republished.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image73
    The Examiner-1posted 4 years ago

Hi Claire - 
    First, were the websites URL on the actual photos or beneath them?
    Second, did you receive the email from HP or the website themselves?
    Once I know these facts I may be able to help more, I am not sure.

1. Claire Roach profile image66
      Claire Roachposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The URL is just underneath the pics not interfering with the image at all and I own the images anyway as I designed the website and all it's logos.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image73
      The Examiner-1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Try this: Unpublish the Hub temporarily, edit each of the photos, erase the URL on the 'source', 'caption', etc. line(s), republish the Hub. See if it helps.

3. Claire Roach profile image66
      Claire Roachposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yeah done that and it's published I just wondered about the general rules.  I actually wanted to have a cheeky link in a few pics as I was going to use the websites social media pages to promote my hub.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image73
      The Examiner-1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Who gave you the rules, HP or the link?

working