WTF Hubpages ?.......

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 4 years ago

WTF Hubpages ?.......

I've watched many a Hub score go up and down ,to tell you truth ban me I don't care ,!  Mines gone from 97 - or 98 to the low  seventies . and that's fine , hell- I'm a poet ! I would expect that ! But I am ashamed to watch people like the beloved "Cardisa "  prepare to leave hubs .What the hell is going on with the"  management "......Not ! that allows this once great venue of artistic expression take such a dive ? Please explain !

2. fpherj48 profile image78
    fpherj48posted 4 years ago

ED.....From high 90's to low 70's??   That's totally dreadful and I am sure, terribly disillusioning!  Such a drop would make me wonder if there has not been some sort of "accidental" robot glitch!   
    Poet or not, Ed.....i feel you deserve a complete and detailed explanation for this.  Your work is wonderful and it's obviously read by MANY!!

3. Becky Katz profile image84
    Becky Katzposted 4 years ago

I have seen many good friends leave here. Ghost32 left and I know that he made money for them. He is doing better than ever on his own domain. My hubber score fell overnight from 99 to 88 and I have not written a thing here since then. The only thing I do here now is read what my friends have written. I used to answer several questions a day. Yours is the first that I have answered in months. They have improved themselves right out of a lot of their best writers. I do not think they even care.

1. lorlie6 profile image83
      lorlie6posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Exactly, Becky.  Seems we've taken these 'number hits' the same way, you and I, why even try?  After a while it's simply masochistic.

4. lorlie6 profile image83
    lorlie6posted 4 years ago

Far too long time no see, my old friend.  I never thought I'd see the day that one of the very best poets on HP became so unhappy-but...I've also been so upset/pissed off with the 'management' (well, the site itself, actually) that I've not written for this site in ages. 
    WTF, indeed! 
    You and I go back quite a number of years and way back when, it seemed everyone's author scores reflected much more accurately the Hubber's talents.  It seems so many of us have been to the 'top', then seemingly, after adding even more quality content, 'hit bottom' numerically-prose and poetry writers alike!  The roller coaster here is exhausting, Ed, and I guess I simply got tired of the ride.  My hat's off to you, though, for sticking it out.  I hope HP sees this and does explain, but I'm a tad skeptical, you know? 
    Take good care though, and never stop writing your lovely poems...'songs of the soul' I call them.  xxxooo  Laurel
    PS:  I've read some of the lovely words of 'Cardisa',and do you remember Charlie Campbell?  He left years ago-HP ought to be ashamed.  L

1. singlmomat52 profile image75
      singlmomat52posted 4 years agoin reply to this

ahorseback I know that I have not been on here much but you are right. There have been others that have quit because of this. Your ratings, in my opinion, should be a constant 100!! Good question I hope that they acknowledge you and answer. Take care

2. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 4 years agoin reply to this

laurel ? My sweety from way back ?  Oh I miss you ! Come back to us !

5. M. T. Dremer profile image91
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

Hub score does not necessarily reflect quality or traffic. It's a computer program that outputs a number based on a set of generic parameters. People give way too much weight to its power.

6. sligobay profile image71
    sligobayposted 4 years ago

I appreciate your work as fine art. No spider or bot can appreciate artistic content or any content. They are not human and can have no appreciation of the humanities. My score is 82 and I rarely read or write here at Hubpages anymore. I'm a level 4 commenter. I spent a fortunes worth of time here before the exodus of many friends from this site. I don't hub hop and I don't answer questions and I don't follow the forums. My life is to busy to be consumed in cyberspace. I don't use Facebook or any other social media. I tweet occasionally. I am interested in food safety and nuclear waste issues but do not write about them here at HP. I am interested in NSA surveillance issues but do not feel that I can influence public opinion. I write when and if it pleases me. I submit to management directives in order to remain here. I have been at this site for 6 years and will remain in my lethargy. Don't give away your power ahorseback. Start your own blog and publish your own work. You have great talent. All the best, Gerry

1. profile image0

Gerry ! You have always been one of the greatest here ! Thank you kindly , I have to write and don't really care about the score but I do  miss the  contacts , I do hope all is well with you my friend !.....Ed

2. sligobay profile image71
      sligobayposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the approval Ed. All is well but looking forward to St Paddy's Day and the end of this vexatious winter. I wrenched my knee on the ice and am hobbling around like an invalid in fear of a fall. God bless the senior citizens.

7. wychic profile image86
    wychicposted 4 years ago

I wonder if it reflects the changing expectations on the site, specifically the changes implemented after panda/farmer/revenge of panda/etc. My score also used to be in the 90s -- up to 99, but sometimes dipping as low as 92 when I wasn't active on the site. Then it suddenly dropped to 81. After extensive updates, it's now 82. That said, I know a LOT of my hubs still need updated to be within the new parameters that are strongly encouraged. I see a lot more about high word counts, videos and multiple pictures, and my guess is that stress on those would make it very difficult for most poets to get high-scoring hubs...not everyone wants to write the new 50-page epic poem. Most of mine are informational with some reviews thrown in, so they're easy enough to conform to the implied guidelines when I have time.

It would be nice if we had some "official answers" on this. It's kind of depressing to work a lot harder than I ever did before on this site, yet see a lower hub score and earnings that are still significantly lower than they used to be. The quality of my work is slowly coming up, and I know the Hubpages "powers that be" had little to do with the big search engine slap, so I'm still holding out hope that it'll slowly come back around. Who knows? I have a couple of my own domains, and am starting to wonder what they'd be doing if I put as much effort into them as I do into Hubpages.

8. tlpoague profile image85
    tlpoagueposted 4 years ago

I fear I have been out of the loop for so long that when I finally wrote a hub I realized most of my followers had moved on. I understand what you mean when you mentioned that your score stayed at a steady upper 90's and now dropped. Mine did the same. I remembered a time when it didn't take much to hit 100. I fell from a level 7 commentator to a level 2 in a matter of a few months.
    I have quit paying attention to the scores. I am more concerned over the amount of mentors I have followed that have moved on to other grounds. I feel that I am once again starting over.
    I am grateful...and always will be...for the support I have received here. I hope that some day I will find the addiction again that I had when I first started. It will be harder though now that the "creative" part has been taken out of creative writing and the focus on monetary gain.
    You and many of the other talented 'old' writers will always be a 100 in my book.

1. profile image0

Hey girl ! No I don't  care about the score at all . Only the contacts with such beautiful souls here ! Yours for one !  As a  very private person and poet , I really, really liked meeting and sharing this stuff !  It really helped to cure me!

2. sligobay profile image71
      sligobayposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The best writers still follow the wisdom of your words. No need to fret. Best, Gerry

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)