- HubPages Tutorials and Community
Do Come In....
Hi there :)
Thanks for visiting, it's lovely to see you! Do come in, and hang your coat on the rack over there. :)
Unfortunately, I'm afraid the conversation is going to be fairly one-sided (okay, completely one-sided!) as I ... um... well, I can't hear you. But don't let that stop you from chipping in when you want to! ;) And you will certainly have a chance to say your bit at the end of the tour.
I hope you enjoy your stay, and please do pop in to my lenses - I'd really love to have you visit... and to hear your views and thoughts in the Guestbook bits, polls and duels. :)
A Brief Introduction ...
I don't want to bore you with a biography, so will jot down a few main points, just so you know a little about me... and who knows, we may have a thing or two in common. :)
1. Born in London, England, grew up in Durban, South Africa, now living in Gloucestershire, England... and very happy.
2. I lived in the USA for two years when I finished my schooling, and I love the country. I still pop back for visits every now and then.
3. I have a fabulous son, who is now 15 years old, and the most positive, enthusiastic person I know! He is warm, friendly, talented, fun, funny, witty, compassionate, happy... okay, I'll put the brakes on there - I do get a bit carried away....
4. I love working (I'm a writer, actress and singer, as well as a voluntary life coach), and I have become completely (and happily) addicted to Squidoo! I can't get over how much fun it is - it's like gaming and working in one. The levelling and monster thing, and quests... the sense of humour. I also recently became a Squid Angel, and am SO excited to be able to bless good lenses. I adore being an angel, and hope I'm making a difference to the lensmasters whose lenses I bless. I also love participating in the forums in between reading interesting lenses and building and updating my own, and I particularly enjoy contributing to the "Critique Me" forum, and I really appreciate any feedback I get on my own lenses... and I have sooo many ideas ... okay, I'm getting carried away again - I tend to be very enthusiastic about things I love ... hmmm.... I wondered where my son was getting that from....
5. I am passionate about parenting, and self esteem in children, and how core subconscious beliefs and patterns determine far more of what happens in our lives than we realise... and I have a lot of thoughts on the logic of this... in other words, even if one is not considering anything spiritual or psychic, there are plain, down-to-earth, logical and obvious explanations for how every aspect of our lives is affected by core subconscious beliefs. And I believe that the root of all evil in the world is low self esteem. I know that sounds sweeping and maybe absurd, but I have good reason for it. Imagine a whole generation growing up with healthy self esteem and self worth. Imagine those people running countries and businesses...... ooh, I'm on a tangent again! Sorry. Will get off my soap box and try to keep this brief as I promised in the sign on the door of this room. :)
6. I have a blue belt in karate... so stop looking at the door... you'll never make it! ;)
7. One of my favourite things in the world is watching flocks of birds flying. Especially starlings when they're doing their wonderful displays before roosting. I find it mesmerizing - and I'm very lucky that we have some wonderful flocks here in Gloucestershire!
In fact, if you look out of the window below, I think you'll see a flock just about to roost now... I did book them for today, so I hope they've turned up on time. Let me know what you think of them. I've seen them before, and I think they're magnificent!
Look Through This Window if You Want to Watch the Starlings..... - They're in place and ready to begin their display.
Sights like this take my breath away! They really are remarkable. Do watch to at least just over half-way - it's only a 4 minute session. About half-way through their routine they get particularly dramatic, and mind-blowingly impressive!
Step Into My Study
A Little About My Writing...
I've written a lot on various areas of self development. Before coming to Squidoo I wrote mostly for self development forums, did private email life coaching, wrote three ebooks, and a lot of articles. This came about because I've done a massive amount of self development myself over the last 10 years or so, and have experienced the most incredible changes and results. It's been a very tough journey, but so worth it! I'm happier than I've ever been before, and better off in all areas of my life. If you have a look at the album on the coffee table below, you'll see the lenses I've created so far on self development. I plan to create many more.
I'll hang the keys to all my lenses right at the end of this tour, so you'll be able to pop into any of them at the click of a mouse... er turn of a key. :)
Random Fact About Me....
If you've been listening very closely, you'll notice my spelling changes between British and American, depending on what I'm writing. I write mainly for an American audience, so my lenses are all written with American spelling (except for this one, because this one's personal, so I'm speaking in my own accent ;) )
My Parenting Corner
I'll try to keep it brief, although it's difficult....:)
As I might have mentioned briefly before, I'm passionate about parenting, self esteem in children, and how subconscious beliefs running on automatic, affect all areas of our lives.
I've done a lot of parenting coaching, which I really love, and have had the wonderful privilege of helping parents to solve various problems, and in so doing, have not only made life more enjoyable at the time, but contributed to the future adult that child will become. I've also written a little ebook on tips for parents.
Let me introduce you to my parenting lenses....
Random Fact About Me...
When I was a child, I had a pet snail (honestly!), called Jenny.
A Peek in My Gift Cupboard....
Sh.... don't tell anyone else - some of these are surprises for people...
This is where I hide all my gift ideas. I absolutely love giving gifts. And I love finding something that's just perfect for each person. I also like to come up with fun and unexpected ways of wrapping and presenting gifts.
I think I got this trait from my mother. When we were children, my mother was the queen of surprises! She used to come up with the most unusual and fun ways to give gifts. My mum doesn't just wrap a gift and give it to a person, there's always a production with it! :)
For example, one of my strongest memories is a Christmas morning, when I was about 6 or 7 years old. My brother, sister and I were playing in the lounge, with the toys we'd received from Father Christmas, when my mother came in, clearly very annoyed. She said something along the lines of "Who left that mess on the lawn?!" We all looked at each other accusingly "Wasn't me! I haven't been in the garden today!" "Me neither!" ... etc. "Well someone has left a mess out there, you'd better all go and clear it up!" Hmpf! Well, we grudgingly made our way to the back door, and as we approached .... there, pitched on the lawn, were three beautiful tents - two cowboy tents (for my sister and me) and a tipi for my brother. We were beside ourselves with excitement!
Another Christmas (you'd think we'd have got used to this and guessed, but noooo.... we fell for it completely - every time! ... Mind you, my mum is a very good actress!) similar scenario, in the lounge, playing. My mum came in with my grandparents, all of them looking very cross. "I thought we told you kids you're not allowed in the garage?" "We haven't been in the garage!" "Well, SOMEone's been in the garage - and they've left a terrible mess. You'd better go and clear it up." Confused, we went out to the garage, and as we walked in, we gasped. My mum and grandparents had created a shop. A proper little shop. With a cash register, scales and baskets. They'd put up shelves and placed plastic food on them. There was play money in the register, and paper bags for packing the shopping into. We were ABsolutely ecstatic! What fun!! And what a wonderful memory that's still with me alllll these years later!
So... I guess that's where I get my appreciation of surprise, fun gifts from. I have many more examples of gifts my family have given and some that I've given them... but I can see you're getting a bit fidgety, and you're probably really keen to get on with the tour so you can get on with the rest of your travels.
So, if you'd like to caaaaarefully peak inside the gift closet... you're very welcome to use any of the ideas yourself, but don't give anything away to my family or friends... I'm using some of these to surprise them this year. ;)
Lens of the Day!! 15th of December 2011 - What a wonderful surprise to wake up to!
I arrived at the Squidoo home page on the morning of the 15th of December, as I do every morning... and recognised the image of the Lens of the Day... it looked just like the image for my Secret Santa Gift Ideas lens..... It WAS my Secret Santa Gift Ideas lens!! What a Wonderful surprise!
I was so excited! And later in the day, overwhelmed by the lovely response! It took me three days to go through all of the likes, comments and blessings, and to recipricate the visits. What fun!
I don't know who recommended my lens for LOTD, but, in case they come to visit here, a VERY big THANK YOU!
Random Fact About Me....
One of my favourite snacks is toast with butter and marmalade (or jam) with grated Cheddar cheese on top. Mmmm.... going to make some now... would you like a slice while I'm making?
This is the Kitchen......
I'm afraid there's not an awful lot going on in here, so this'll be very quick...
Although I love good food, cooking is something I do as quickly and efficiently as possible - still with tasty results though - as I said, I love good food... I just don't like to make a meal out of the cooking process... ;)
Hence, there's just this one, solo (but very helpful!) lens - and it's all that's needed in my kitchen. ;)
Random Fact About Me....
I love to laugh - especially at witty humour.... okay, and also at silly humour ;)
Look, There's Something Good on TV At the Moment...
Hand me the remote, and I'll turn up the volume....
It's that brilliant British stand-up comedian Michael McIntyre! I'll keep quiet for a moment so you can watch....
Purple Stars!!! - Saturday 3rd December 2011 : I woke up to find TWO Purple Stars!!
I was so excited when I woke up this morning, opened my curtains and saw TWO Purple Stars sitting there! Having never had even one before, you can imagine the surprise and jumping for joy that went on!
Another Purple Star! :)
8th February 2012 - Another Purple Star was delivered! This time, to my lens Simple Ways to Improve Your Child's Self Esteem A very big THANK YOU to whoever recommended it for this award - very much appreciated!
4th Purple Star! Yay! :)
On Tuesday the 27th of March 2012 my e-bell rang, and there, on my e-step was another beautiful, shiny Purple Star!! This time it was addressed to another of my favourite lenses: "Top 10 Ways to Make Up for Forgetting Your Anniversary" A Very Big Thank You from me and my entire family of lenses, to the HQ ! When one lens gets a Purple Star, we ALL celebrate! ;)
5th Purple Star!
Well, imagine my surprise when I discovered that my newest lens ("How to Get Kids to Eat Veggies") had received a Purple Star - at only two days old! So proud of it! :) It did start off with a bit of a bonus, in that it was created for a quest - in which it was submitted for approval by the SquidPowers that be, so it had the benefit of being noticed earlier than it might have been otherwise... but I'm still very proud! :)
6th Purple Star! :)
On the 6th of December 2012 a Purple Star was awarded to my Smiling Lens. This is one of my favourite lenses - I so enjoyed putting it together! So, I'm really thrilled to have it honoured with a beautiful, shiny Purple Star! :)
Giant Squid! :D - 5th December 2012 - Just been accepted into the Super Squid level of the Giant Squid Club! Yay! :)
Squid Date: Tuesday 27th March 2012 - I received a squidmail to say I have been accepted into the Monster Giant Squid Club. This means I have moved from Super Squid level (25) to the Monster 50 level. I'm thrilled and excited, and now aiming for Mammoth Squid - I have a way to go, to create another 50 great lenses for a total of 100, but I'm loving every minute! :)
Have You Been Keeping an Eye on Your Parking Meter?
They're very strict about the parking 'round here....
How long have you been here? You'd better check on your meter - I'd hate for you to get a fine after such a lovely visit!
It's been an absolute pleasure having you here, and I hope you've enjoyed yourself too.
I do hope you'll come back - I'll keep updating as I add new lenses, and it would be great to see you again!
I'm going to stop talking now, and give you a chance. Please feel free to have your say. :)