The easy way to get the big picture about the work and writings of Seth Godin
WRITER of bestselling books about marketing. SPEAKER with a unique style and great reputation. ENTREPRENEUR with a track record.
Seth's blog just reached its 5000th post. Back when the algorithm was interesting, the blog was ranked by Technorati as the #1 blog in the world written by a single individual.
This page has links to blog posts, free ebooks and more.
Three new books came out at the end of 2012
Just in time for winter (or, if you live down under, the beach) here are three new books I've created. I hope you'll check them out.
A rant, a manifesto, a description of the end of the industrial world we grow up in and most of all, a call to take advantage of the opportunities that lie before us. Go make a ruckus.
The last chapter of Icarus, lovingly illustrated by the fabulous Hugh Macleod. It looks like a kid's book, but it's not.
The very best of the last six years of my blog. More than 600 pages, it weighs nearly two pounds.
Stop Stealing Dreams (the free education manifesto) - What is school for?
Click on the picture to find it in PDF, ebook and audio formats. Translations welcome.
Poke the Box
Published in early 2011, this is a short punch to the gut, a manifesto about starting something. A top 10 bestseller.
We Are All Weird
My latest book. Short and to the point--the world won't embrace, leverage or even tolerate normal any longer.
With Bryan in Orange County
Part one of several
Free Ebooks You Can Download Right Now
- KNOCK KNOCK
On web sites that work
- WHO'S THERE
On blogs that work
- UNLEASHING THE IDEAVIRUS
The breakthrough on how ideas spread. Possibly the most downloaded ebook ever.
- THE BOOTSTRAPPER'S BIBLE
Not available for a while, here it is again.
- Seth's Blog: The new dynamics of book publishing
A free recording of a talk from three years ago about the future of book publishing.
My biggest selling book
Five years of blogging
After five years of blogging and a long run as the most popular columnist in Fast Company's history, I compiled a book.
This is my latest book, it shipped in October. It's about leadership as a marketing tool. Picked as Book of the Year by 8CR, a New York Times bestseller and short enough to read in an hour.
Video and books
Here are five links to get you started
- The lens about my big book
Tons of free samples from Small is the New Big
- "Broken" video at Google
Free video I did at Gel. 20 minutes or so.
- Google talk
This talk was at Google in February. 45 minutes or so.
- Ted Speech
From four years ago.
- The Dip book lens
My latest book, the fastest-selling one I've ever done. It's about quitting.
YES, lots of free ebooks
- Seth's ebooks at one place
Most of them. In one place.
- The new ebook
Flipping the Funnel. It's free and it comes in three handy editions. While supplies last...
- Money for nothing, traffic ebook
Just released at the end of 2007. The three secrets of traffic to your blog, your company and especially your Squidoo lens.
Yes, the action figure is real
And it's only $9. And my royalties go to the Acumen Fund. Buy a set for the entire family.
With a preface and makeover by Seth
Every single copy printed sold out in three hours, but more will be available by mid-August, 2011.
The Zig Ziglar goal planner is a classic--because it works. Now updated in a handsome, easy and really inexpensive version (you get four in a pack) it's really worth a try. It's hard to overstate how effective it is.
How to avoid the Meatball Sundae?
First, you have to know what it is
Meatball Sundae is about the mismatch between traditional marketing and what you find online... Find all the details right here:
A meatball sundae is the unfortunate result of mixing two good ideas.
The meatballs are the foundation, the things we need (and sometimes want). These are the commodities that so many businesses are built on.
The sundae toppings (hot fudge and the like) are the New Marketing, the social networks, Google, blogs and fancy stuff that make people all excited.
The challenge most organizations face: they try to mix them. They attempt to slap new marketing onto old and end up with nothing but a failed website.
This book explores the 14 trends that are changing our world and how organizations can either embrace them or be punished by them.
Recent noteworthy posts
- Squid Soup
First of a three part post about inertia.
- Different kinds of traffic
Are you measuring what matters?
- Barry Bonds
Sometimes, swinging for the fences is not the right strategy
- Can't vs. Won't
Precise language can change the way you do things
- How to live with a great designer
Things every marketer might want to know about how designers work.
Seth's Philosophy (short Version, Via His Books)
- For fifty years, advertising (and the pre-packaged, one-way stories that make good advertising] drove our economy. Then media exploded. We went from three channels to 500 hundred, from no web pages to a billion. At the same time, the number of choices mushroomed. There are more than 100 brands of nationally advertised water. There are dozens of car companies, selling thousands of combinations. Starbucks offers 19,000,000 different ways to order a beverage, and Oreo cookies come in more than nineteen flavors.In the face of all this choice and clutter, consumers realized that they have quite a bit of power. So advertising stopped working.
- One insight is that marketing with permission works better than spam. In other words, delivering anticipated, personal and relevant ads to the people who want to get them is always more effective than yelling loudly at strangers. PERMISSION MARKETING addresses this issue.
- Once an idea is in the hands of people who care about its success, it may be lucky enough to benefit from digitally augmented word of mouth. I call this an ideavirus. Modern ideas spread online and off, and this is faster and more effective than the old-fashioned centralized way of selling. UNLEASHING THE IDEAVIRUS is the most successful ebook of all time and you can buy the paperback for about $10. Feel free to look for the ebook online as well. It's free.
- It's remarkable products that get remarked on. That seems obvious, but it flies in the face of the way most goods and services and business items are created and marketed. Boring is invisible. PURPLE COW is all about this.
- The thing that makes something remarkable isn't usually directly related to the original purpose of the product or service. It's the FREE PRIZE INSIDE, the extra stuff, the stylish bonus, the design or the remarkable service or pricing that makes people talk about it and spread the word.
- The controversial ALL MARKETERS ARE LIARS isn't about lying at all. It's about telling stories that people want to believe. It's about the fact that people want bottled water, not tap, iPod Nanos, not Rios, and politicians who talk straight, regardless of the consequences... But most of all, it's about authenticity.
- Marketing is now called leadership. You can lead a tribe of people, connect them, commit to them and create a movement.
- Most of all, Godin believes that it's possible to enjoy your job, to do the right thing, to be transparent, to give more than you get and to be successful, all at the same time. In fact, that's sort of the definition of success, isn't it?
Top 7 'seth's Blog' Posts of All Time (from Before 2010)
- Small is the new big
How the net turns the advantage of the mighty upside down.
- Don't shave that yak!
How to get things done.
- What makes an idea viral?
How ideas spread. The short version
- Beware the CEO Blog
Well, beware the bad ones, anyway.
- The new digital divide
It's about attitude, not bandwidth
- Two kinds of writing
For strangers and for friends, of course.
- Death plus a fine
Just a photo
IDEAS THAT WORKED (and didn't work)
- Transplantation Journal
An article, co-written with a well-known cardiologist, about how to radically change the allocation of kidneys for transplants. Didn't work.
The first online company to figure out direct marketing (the ethical, effective, permission-based way). Sold to Yahoo. Worked.
- Zoomtone records
Hi-rez, acoustic SACD record label. Didn't work. Not at all.
- Feedsters top 500
Seth's blog was early... so early, no one read it. Now it's #70 in the English-speaking world, so says Feedster. Worked.