My Squidoo Earnings Record
I Spent a Lot of Time on Squidoo
Making Money on Squidoo
I first started on Squidoo with the idea of promoting my mother's book and also calling attention to a lake lot I wanted to sell. My first lenses accomplished those goals, but I didn't stop there. Creating the lenses appealed to my sense of creativity. I was looking for a new outlet after the eHow website developed publishing issues. Squidoo seemed just the right thing for me to create online content.
At first, I didn't realize the earning potential for Squidoo, as there's a two-month lag in paying earnings. In browsing around the site, I found some lensmasters (writers of articles) discussing the money-making potential of their lenses. It opened my eyes to the possibility of having fun and making money at the same time. Lovely idea!
Squidoo isn't a get-rich-quick site and there is real work involved in creating quality lenses. The good news is that the site is free and has a very supportive atmosphere with lensmasters willing to help others succeed. Over time, lenses can earn significant money for the lensmaster once you learn how to monetize, how to apply keywords and how to create a lens that attracts an audience.
Here are my payouts from Squidoo, so new arrivals can see the progression. This is just one sample, as others earn more if they create high-interest lenses and some earn less if they are less proficient in their lens creation. New lensmasters find it inspiring to see the possibilities of creating and earning on Squidoo.
The Squidoo site has now closed and the content shifted to the Hubpages site.
It Takes Time to Grow And Earn
My Paydays on Squidoo - 1st Year - Note that for months and months, I earned very little
- Sept. 2008 - Made my 1st lens and went away, forgetting about Squidoo.
- August 2009 - Returned and made 2 lenses.
September 2009 - Made 5 lenses.
October 2009 - Published 9 more lenses on Squidoo. (on the 10/08/09 payday for the month of August earned nothing. Squidoo has a 2 month lag for paying out the earnings.)
November 2009 - Added 25 more lenses. (Earned nine cents on the 11/05/09 payday)
December 2009 - Made 34 more lenses. (Earned ninty-four cents on the 12/15/09 payday. This is from the October work.)
- January 2010 - Made 27 new lenses. (Squidoo said I earned $3.73 for the November work, but still haven't reached the minimum $10 payout that I'd set)
February 2010 - Made 23 new lenses (In mid-February, Squidoo told me I earned $4.23 for the December work.)
March 2010 - Made 28 new lenses (On the March payday I earned $8.95 for the January work.)
April 2010 - Made 12 new lenses (On the April payday I earned $9.57 for the February work.)
May 2010 - Made 7 new lenses (May payday, I earned $31.56 from 61 lenses. The rest of my lenses did not earn anything this month. This was the royalties for the month of March.)
June 2010 - Made 20 new lenses (On the June payday I earned $50.29. Remember the 2 month lag in paying, so this was for earnings from April)
July 2010 - Made 29 new lenses (For the July payday I earned $42.22. This is for earnings in May.)
- YOUR ROYALTIES (06/01/2010 to 06/30/2010)
Your new lens earnings this period = $58.90
Zero lenses in tier 1, 7 lenses in tier 2, and a huge number in tier 3 or lower.
(I'm really looking forward to next month's payday, as I've had a number of associate sales on various lenses)
- YOUR SQUIDOO ROYALTIES (07/01/2010 to 07/31/2010)
Your new lens earnings from this period = $139.50
96 lenses earned something during the month, but $85 came from my three lenses that stayed in tier one.
Add in the $99 from the Summer Sunshine award, my earnings came to $238.50 this month from Squidoo.
At the end of the first year,
my best month was $238.
Rise and Decline of Squidoo Earnings - My Record
Won a Sunshine Award in August
The $99 for this award was deposited to my Paypal on the same day as my September monthly payment. Lovely!
You don't have to make this many lenses, but it took me awhile to learn what works best for me.
My Second Year of Earnings on Squidoo - Starting with the October 15, 2010 Pay Out
- Not payday yet, but I just sold my first Squidoo lens. It was a tier one and I sold it for $100. That may sound too cheap to some, but it was a seasonal lens that will only earn a few months each year. I'm excited about this new way to earn using Squidoo.
- YOUR SQUIDOO ROYALTIES (08/01/2010 to 08/31/2010)
Your new lens earnings from this period = $193.27
Total earnings = $193.27!
Combine the royalties with the $100 from the lens I sold brings my Squidoo income to $293 for October. This is real progress!
- YOUR SQUIDOO ROYALTIES (09/01/2010 to 09/30/2010) Paid out on November 16, 2010.
Your new lens earnings from this period = $226.60
A few of the dollars went to charity, out of the $226.
- YOUR SQUIDOO ROYALTIES (10/01/2010 to 10/31/2010) Paid out on December 15, 2010
Your new lens earnings from this period = $395.64
Total earnings = $395.64! (a few dollars of the $395 went to charity)
That's from the sales of Halloween items on the lenses plus 5 lenses were in tier one which paid about $25 each! Wow! The infolinks are paying mostly pennies and Chitka seems negligible. I'm loving Amazon though!
- YOUR SQUIDOO ROYALTIES (11/01/2010 to 11/30/2010)
Your new lens earnings from this period = $379.77
Total earnings = $379.77!
I was hoping that this month would be bigger (with Christmas buying) than October was (with Halloween buying). Guess not. I'm still excited about December Amazon sales which I won't know about until mid-February.
- Just received the February payout (covering earnings from December 2010). I was anxious to see how the Christmas season earned. My total earnings after a small bit was given to charity is $455.06. That's the best payday for me yet!
I expect next month to drop down without all the Christmas shopping boosting the earnings.
I like the new way that Squidoo is posting the month's earning so you can see the top earning lens and scan down the list without having to click on each one. Great!
- March 15 payout (covering earnings from January 2011) was $318.67. As expected, the earnings dropped from the peak Christmas earnings. This is probably the range I'll earn in unless I make more lenses, fine-tune my sales lenses and build more backlinks.
- BONUS - I just received $30 for a creating a commissioned lens. The nice part, is I get to keep the lens, as they just wanted the backlinks. The lens is in the third tier, but I have hopes of moving it up to second tier over time.
Yes, there is FREE LUNCH. I made a lens for a friend and she treated me to a nice lunch.
- April 2011 (February 2011 royalties paid out 04/14/2011)
* Total featured lenses on date: 203 lenses (I have more lenses but they did not earn anything)
* Total paid in cash via PayPal: $323.74
- March 2011 earnings (paid out May 2011)
Earnings on May 13, 2011 payday ....$348.08
- April 2011 royalties (paid out 06/10/2011)
Total featured lenses on date: 187 lenses (this doesn't count my non-earning lenses)
Total paid in cash via PayPal : $292.04 (a $56 drop from last month)
- May 2011 royalties (paid out July 14, 2011)
Total featured lenses on date: 183 lenses (I have more lenses than that, but the count doesn't include the non-earners)
Grand total this month: $467.59 WhooHoo, this even beat my Christmas month earnings!
- June 2011 royalties (paid out August 11, 2011)
plus $5 for a referral which means someone who signed up through me made their first $15, so I get a bonus. My new total is $451.97 for the month.
- July 2011 royalties (paid out September 15, 2011)
$465.41 Then on September 21, received an additional $96 which was the missing Chitka and Ad money that I filed a bug report about. That brings the total for the month to $561.79. Highest month yet!
October 10, 2011 - just received a bonus from an experiment Squidoo did with the angels. I earned $21.59 in the DueProps Angel Project. Very nice. That brings the total for the month to $583.38.
Whoops, Error on My Payout
Luckily I looked closely at my September 15, 2011 payout with the details of earnings for each lens. I noticed that Chitika and Adlinks $$ were missing. I submitted a bug report after checking to be sure my settings were correct.
They responded today saying that I would receive the money for that as a separate deposit. I'm hoping it equals another $35 to $50.
9/21/11 - just received the missing funds for another $96. Yay!
My Third Year of Earning on Squidoo
- October 13, 2011 received the payout for August. It's the best yet! $623.22
- November 15, 2011 received the payout for September. Even better than last month...$793.40
- December 14, 2011 was the payout for October. Halloween made some great sales for me and with 10 lenses in tier one, I made $1,074.93.
Best payout yet!
- January 12, 2012 received the payout for November. Slight drop off after Halloween and before major Christmas shopping. Still quite good at $997.36. It dropped about $77 but I'm not complaining.
- February 13, 2012 was the payout for December. Christmas earnings were good, so my payday was $1,360.82. That's the best I've ever had.
- March 14, 2012 was the payout for January. I expected it to drop after the Christmas high, but wish it hadn't dropped this much.
Total paid in cash via PayPal was $852.52. About half of my lenses did not earn anything, meaning they didn't rank in tier one, two or three and did not sell anything through Amazon or eBay.
- April 14, 2012 - payout for February. Up a bit from last month. $881.43
To give some perspective, this is about double what I made in April 2011. It's a huge improvement over the $9 that I made in April 2010.
- May 10, 2012 - payout for March. Down a bit, but not too bad. $824.95 was the payout.
- June 12, 2012 - payout for April. Up from last month (and double what I made in June 2011). $884.33 was my payout.
- July 13, 2012 - payout for May. Big jump forward with a payout of $1,213.06. That included 11 tier one lenses and 16 tier two lenses with several hundred falling into tier three.
- August 9, 2012 - payout for June. Holding steady at $1,337.27. I had 12 tier one lenses this time.
- September 7, 2012 - payout for earnings in July. Dropped down some to $1,064. I had 9 lenses in tier one.
My best month for the 3rd year was $1,360
My 4th Year on Squidoo
- October 12, 2012 - This is the payout for the month of August. Best pay day so far....$1,492. That included having 11 lenses in tier one and quite a few Amazon and eBay sales from my lenses. It does not include associate income from Amazon or Zazzle.
- November 14, 2012 - Payout for the month of September. $1,348.05
- December 11, 2012 - Payout for the month of October. $2,000.15
The Halloween shoppers gave me a real boost with those topics earning $815.
My purchased lenses pulled their share and earned $240. I'm sure they will do even better once they are more mature.
- January 15, 2013 - Payout for the month of November. $1,443.
As expected there's a little lull between Halloween and Christmas shopping.
I started selling off some lenses once I reached 825. I'll add my profits from that later.
Oops, forgot to include my niche account which made $350. That brings my total to $1,793.
- February 14, 2013 - Payout for the month of December. $1,623.
Not as high as I was hoping. I'll have to tweak my lenses and see what I can do better. This does not include my own Amazon affiliate earnings.
- March 11, 2013 - Payout for the month of January. $736. I knew the tier payments were going to be lowered this month. That has hit everyone hard, I imagine. This is the lowest payout that I've had since October 2011. Hopefully the drastic changes Squidoo is making right now will impact earnings in a positive way for the future.
- April 12, 2013 - Payout for the month of February. $719. Holding steady.
- May 14, 2013 - Payout for the month of March. $778. Up slightly from last month.
- June 13, 2013 - Payout for the month of April. $706, Down slightly from last month (and down $1300 from my peak month). I had 5 lenses in tier one, 18 lenses in tier two and 250 lenses in tier three. A few earned from sales but didn't make it into the tier ranking. About 1/2 of my lenses earned nothing (318 of them).
- July 11, 2013 - Payout for the month of May. $769. Encouraging as there is a slight upswing. That's 6 lenses in tier one though the ad pool is sadly much lower than when Squidoo was flying high. Lots of sales though and ten lenses earned really well without even making it into tier one.
- August 8, 2013 - Payout for the month of June. $822. Thanks to some seasonal lenses, an upward movement! I had 10 lenses earn tier one pay. Fifty percent of my lenses earned, though some earned only a penny each.
- September 11, 2013 - Payout for the month of July. $639. Almost a $200 drop from last month so pretty disappointing. That's 11 lenses earning tier one payout, but many more just making 13 cents each. Sigh...
My best month for the 4th year was $2,000
My Fifth Year on Squidoo
- October payout - $440. This is a drop of $200 from the previous month. Disappointing. Tier one lenses paid a mere $11 each. I am seeing an increase in sales so maybe the payout two months down the line will be better.
- November 2013 payout - $706. Good increase and I feel encouraged. This is for earnings from September 2013.
In addition I received $100 for being a winner in the lens making contest for the new product format.
For perspective, this is about the same as Nov. 2011 when I had a lot fewer lenses.
- December 2013 payout - $1,034. Halloween happy time! All the sales from October gave a nice boost to the payout. I also received this month a $50 Amazon gift card as a prize in one of the quests.
- January 2014 payout - $726. Down from last month. The good news is there's a fair amount of $$ still on the dashboard, so maybe next month will be better.
- February 2014 payout - $1,016. This is the Christmas sales payout so I expected it to be above what I earned last month and it is. It's about half what I earned last February though.
- March 2014 payout - $442. Another big drop. Feel like I'm on a roller coaster.
- April 2014 payout - $547, so a little better than last month. I'm seeing some good traffic on my spring lenses and have hopes for improved payouts in the next few months.
- May 2014 payout - $751, so that's the 3rd month of an upward trend. Up by $200 over last month. I had 15 lenses in tier one but the ad pool only paid $8.55 this month.
- June 2014 payout - $652, so slipped back a hundred dollars from last month. Sigh.
I had 17 lenses in tier one but the ad pool was just over $6 for those.
For the upcoming months, I'm hopeful to see a jump in earnings. The sales have picked up.
- July 2014 payout - $625, so holding steady thanks to my summer time lenses. I was hoping for an increase but see a good amount still on my dashboard. So looks like next month will be better.
- August 2014 - $676 for this month.
Total royalties received over my time on Squidoo
(main account only)
Are You a Former Squid?
Vote in the Poll
My husband felt that I mislead people into thinking it was easy to make money writing online. He said I should tell everyone about the 4 to 8 hours a day that I spend at my computer. OK - now you know, that instead of watching television, I Squidoo. Since I love it, it doesn't seem like work to me.
Anonymous Poll - How Much Was Your December 2011 Payout from Squidoo?
This is just the Squidoo payout, not what you make with other affiliate income that links to Squidoo.
After you answer the poll, it shows the totals. It's going to be very interesting to see how it averages.
This is an old survey from a few years ago. I'm keeping it around for historical purposes.
The Squidoo site has now closed.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2010 Virginia Allain