What is a HubPage Tracker?
How do Trackers work?
How to Trackers work?
HubPages have utilized a method of allowing people to sign up to HubPages as well as people you direct to hubs in a referral system called "trackers".
That means that if you were to say send a visitor to a hub, and it doesn't even have to be your own, there is a one in ten chance that the ad shown to that person is an ad that YOU have a chance to earn revenue.
And if this visitor were to sign up to HubPages then on each of the hubs that they publish, one in ten pagevoews, will again show ads that are associated to your account.
Sounds like a great idea? It is!
And here's how you do it...
How do I set up a Tracker?
- First, you need a tracker.
- This is the tracker page.
- On there is a link that says "Create a new tracker". Click on it.
- Type in the the field for "Tracking Token", lets say: TRACKERID
- In the field for "Description" you describe where you're using the tracker. This is for your eyes only. This is to help you keep a... track, of the trackers. So you might call this one "my website referrals" so you can remind yourself that you'll be using this tracker on your websites. Or you may give it a specific name, because you want to track all your traffic from the individual sites and blogs you have. How you manage it is up to you.
- So you've created your unique tracker, you now have to put it in a URL. Any hubpages.com URL. You put it straight after the hubpages.com. And with an underscore. So this is what a link to the sign up page would look like: http://hubpages.com/_TRACKERID/user/new/
A few more points
- Just a reminder: Once a person clicks on a tracker, it will go to that URL but then resolve to the proper address. But what they don't see is that a cookie is stored, so if a person signs up, it credits to you. That cookie lasts for 30 days.
- You can use it on any hubpages URL. For instance this thread is http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/14510 so you could have http://hubpages.com/_TRACKERID/forum/topic/14510
- If you wanted to send traffic to the front page you'd have http://hubpages.com/_TRACKERID
- You can also use it to send traffic to other peoples pages.
- Don't forget: Trackers are not just for sign ups, but you get around 10% of the ad views for anyone who visits the site. So if you sent traffic straight from your blog to another persons hub, then about 1 in 10 people that you over will see your ad impressions.
- It's an excellent way to reward you in referring writers as well as traffic. Being able to send traffic to other hubbers hubs AND there being the opportunity for revenue means that we're not competing with our fellow hubbers, it's a win/win situation.