- Education and Science»
- Sociology & Anthropology
Villagers rise in arms against the aswangs
Loss of animals are the doings of 'wakwak'
- Animals without any known cause vanished in their village, causing the residents thereof to be alarmed.
- So they attributed the loss of their pets to the workings of perceived beings called wakwak or aswang.
- The news about the aswang spread rapidly like wildfire, engulfing the countrysides through the TV and internet.
- The stories were unanimous in saying the Aswangs are roaming in the vicinity of Pozorrubio, Pangasinan, and nightly residents of Barangay Villegas have taken up arms as they combed their streets and pathways for the dreaded paranormal being.
Villagers armed to the teeth were covered by local TV
- This weird event was covered live by TV and broadcast nationwide during the third week of April, 2012.
- TV accounts reported that menfolk and able-bodied youths male and female in groups with sharp-pointed bamboo spears and bolos roamed to keep their village free and safe from any harm that the aswang may bring any time as expected.
- The coverage of this home-made warriors with their weapons show that they were ready to deal with any eventuality if only to protect themselves and their property from harm.
White dog is 'aswang'
- A white stray dog was cited prowling in the area.
- Suspected that it was an aswang, that it possesses the mythical characteristic of a ghoul which is able to change shape like a vampire, it was hunted, caught and later set free with no known reason at all by residents of Barangay Villegas.
- The matter was made known to the public on location at Aksyon Prime, TV5 by France Noguera on that Wednesday.
- Villagers grew suspicious of the dog’s true identity. Its white color which is seldom seen and the ricefield where it was caught points to the same and exact place where the aswangs hid as it was pursued by a team of spear-wielding residents.
- The same canine was believed one of 2 aswangs, the other dark, that have preyed on members of Barangay Villegas, a 6-hour ride away from Manila.
Ricefield is set on fire
- Farmers told TV5 they decided to set the ricefield on fire to destroy the devil’s lair.
- The TV reporter Noguera was told by a woman resident that she did an attempt to record the existence of the aswang, however her efforts failed to materialize.
- Pozzorubio mayor Artemio Chan said the Aswang Theory was nothing but a ploy invented and used by criminal elements to sow fear in the residents so they can ply their trade of robbing homeowners of valuables and animals.
Source: TV5 and InterAksyon.com, April 18, 2012
Priest intervenes to stop aswang hunt
- Pozorrubio’s catholic parish has counseled his parishioners to forget the aswang and stop hunting it.
- In his homelies during Sunday services, Fr. Hurly John Solfelix has testified to the truth that Aswang are not real, that they exist only in our imagination and they’re make-believed stories belonging to urban legend. Instead, in lieu of the aswang, they should strengthen their faith in God.
- Residents of Barangay Villegas in Pozorrubio believe that such a creature exists after several animals went missing in their village.
- Armed with spears and machetes, the residents have been scouring the streets in search of the aswang.
Police ordered residents not to vacate their homes
- Police, meanwhile, have warned residents not to leave their homes at night so as not to give robbers the chance to cart their belongings away.
- Chief Inspector Satur Ediong has assured the residents that the police force is there to protect them and drive away the Aswang and other bad elements.
- Once again the residents took to the streets with their weapons last Tuesday night after the alleged reappearance of the bad spirit.
- “Formerly, I don’t believe in Aswang until I saw one just minutes ago”, said Rino Igoy, one of the villagers.
- Police, however, continue to caution residents not to abandon their homes with their prized possession or the criminals may take advantage of the situation. Chaos and disorder is a modus operandi of lawless elements to pursue their trade.
Source: John Germono, ABS-CBN News Dagupan
Archbishop Cruz debunks presence of Aswang in Pangasinan
- The presence of Aswang in Pangasinan is not true, says retired Archbishop Oscar Cruz.
- The aswang or Philippine ghoul which is believed to have its habitat in Pozorrubio, Pangasinan is untrue.
- He said it was likely that people attribute strange natural phenomena to the aswang because it was already ingrained in our culture.
- Especially in Capiz province where the aswang is already taken for granted. But in truth, science has not proven their existence,” Cruz said.
- “Culture is already part of the life of a person, that’s why it can be very hard to remove,” Cruz added.
Source: Matikas Santos, Inquirer.net, April 19, 2012
<> <> <>