- Education and Science
Coins - 10 Facts you don't know about it
1. First coins originate from Anatolia (modern Turkey) and were minted around 600 BC .
2. In most monetary systems the highest value coin made for circulation is worth less then the lowest value note. There are some exceptions though, in countries like Australia or Kenya still circulates notes with smaller values then coins.
3. Circulating coins usually suffered by “shaving”, meaning some people used to cut off small amounts of precious metal from their edges to form new coins. In order to help reduce recoining Isac Newton who was master of Royal Mint of England at the time came up with the idea of milling lines of the edges of coins to make it easier to detect coin clipping.
4. Although round shape is commonly used for coins there are coins shaped in other forms like triangular, rectangular or flower shaped coins.
5. The oldest coin still used in some areas of the world is Austrian Marie Theresa Thaler. It was first issued in 1741 .
6. Most expensive coin in the world is a 1794 silver dollar called Flowing Hair Dollar. It’s market value is estimated to be 7.85 million USD.
7. Several time in history, as a result of inflation market value of their component metal greatly surpassed the fiat declared value of the coin. In this cases many coins were removed by circulation by illicit smelters interested in the value of their metal content.
World largest coin
8.The world largest coin was minted by Royal Canadian Mint. Only five were made from 99.999% pure gold. Each weighs 100kg and worth over 1 million pounds
9. In Hawaii a law states that coins are not allowed to be placed in one’s ear.
10. In the movie “Pirates of the Caribbean: At world’s end” the pirates must meet together by presenting “nine pieces of eight“. This is actually a silver coin, a Spanish Dollar emitted in 1497 who worth eight reales (another Spanish coin), hence the surname “pieces of eight”. As the Pirate Lords were, at the time, too poor to offer real Spanish dollars, they opted to use personal talismans instead.
- Top 10 richest people on the planet in the year 2011
- Animals - 10 things you don't know about
- Tattoos 10 Facts you don't know about it
- Piercings 10 Facts you don't know about it
- Vaccines 10 Facts you don't know about it
- Cigarettes 10 Facts you don't know about it
- Coffee - 10 Facts you don't know about it
- 10 Facts you don't know about wedding rings
- Parachutes 10 Facts you don't know about it
- 10 Facts you don't know about T-shirts