Rainy Day Activities, Tips, and Ideas
A Cozy Rain
The best kind of rain, of course, is a cozy rain.
I don't know about you, but I absolutely love the rain. This is especially true when I am indoors with the day to myself, with the ability to do whatever I please. Rain seems to make everything cozier and more magical. You may consider being stuck inside horrific- but it doesn't have to be that way! First, I suggest you forget about that to do list. If you must go out in the rain don't forget your lovely rainboots and fetching raincoat and the thought of putting on the kettle for tea when you return.
Instead of feeling as though you are stuck inside, look at the rain as a gentle encouragement to do all of the things for yourself that you would normally put off or set aside as not important. Allow the day to unfold with ease and enjoy the cleansing feeling that the rain brings.
10 Rainy Day Activities
Snuggle up with a good book. Pick up something you have been wanting to read but couldn't find the time, or an old favorite. Try to avoid books you "have to" read and instead go for something you want to read. Curl up with your softest blanket and let yourself get lost within the pages.
2. Make tea. Often the temperature drops when it rains, so warm yourself up with a nice hot cup of tea. Sip it slowly and enjoy the moment.
"Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world earth revolves - slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future. Live the actual moment. Only this moment is life." -Thich Nhat Hanh
3. Write a sensory poem. It is amazing the variety of sounds that rain can make. Drip, drizzle, splash, splat, slush. Listen to how the rain you are experiencing sounds and capture it in a short poem. See if you can include other senses by describing the scent, feel, look, and taste of the rain. Feel free to use your imagination and expand on your observations.
4. Bake. Another way to warm up the house and cheer yourself up is with some comfort food. Choose an easy recipe that you already have all the ingredients for. Baking is also a wonderful way to make your home smell delicious and inviting. Who doesn't love the smell of handmade cookies or freshly baked bread? If you are watching your weight, give your baked goods away to a friend!
5. Call a friend. Nothing lifts the gloom off a rainy day quite like hearing a friend's voice. Discover what is new in each other's lives and just chit chat for fun. Perhaps call someone that may need a little extra comfort today. I'm sure you will both hang up the phone smiling.
6. Work on a hobby. Whether you love to make models, play piano, knit, or paint, a rainy day can be the perfect opportunity for spending time on your favorite pastimes. If you find yourself losing interest in a project, start fresh or move on to something else.
8. Watch a childhood movie. Choose one you haven't seen in ages. Chances are there will be scenes and conversations in the movie that went right over your head when you were little! Perhaps you remember the movie differently. In any case, you will have fun rediscovering why you loved it.
7. Turn up the music. Put on music that best reflects your mood at the moment and be absorbed by the sound. Let your body move in new and spontaneous ways to the music. It doesn't have to be traditional dance music for you to get moving! Let the music move you in a way that feels most natural for you.
9. Create a collage. Gather all your old magazines that you don't mind cutting up and make a mini vision board on a stiff background. This could be your future dream home or how you are feeling right now. Feel free to use both text and images.
10. Take a bubble bath Indulge yourself in a luxurious bubble bath. Add scented bubble bath and light candles. Close your eyes, listen to the rain, and relax. Allow any tension to melt away.