10 Simple ways to reduce gas consumption
10 simple things you can do today to save gas...
If you are interested in saving our environment, help reduce pollution, reduce CO2 emissions, I have the answers.
You don't need to spend a lot of money buying a hybrid or give up your current car.
A few simple ideas can save 10-15% of gas consumption and save money as well. Instead of worrying about global warming, you can do something about it.
My list of ideas
- Get a GPS for your car. It will reduce frustration and you will never get lost again and waste gas driving around.
- Shop around for the lowest price gas in your neighborhood. A 10 cents saving per gallon is typical in most towns.
- Always gas up in early morning or late evening when the temperature is cooler. The volume of gasoline is smaller in cooler temperature.
- Make sure your tire pressure is properly inflated.
- Replace your air cleaner when you replace your engine oil.
Recommend oil change every 5000 mile.
- Be gentile accelerating and braking. A few extra seconds will not affect your total trip by much. Don't drive too fast on the highway. 55-60 will provide the best fuel efficiency.
- Combine local errants so you only need to make one trip a day.
- Car pool with your neighbor when you can and also help your neighbor with picking up stuff at the local store. Saving a trip by your neighbor help reduces fuel usage by all.
- Wash your car and wax it on a regular basis. A clean car will improve aerodynamics.
- Remove extra weight from your trunk. Extra pounds can reduce your MPG.
These simple steps may not seem like much but they will reduce your total gas usage. A typical driver will travel approx. 15,000 miles a year. At 20 MPG, that translate into 750 gallons of gas. At the current $3.25 per gallon, that is a total of $2400. A saving of just 10% will save you $240.