- Education and Science
List Six: 10 Most Absurd Laws
Making a Law
Every one is familiar with the law to a certain extent. Most people know that it is against the law to murder another person, or to break-in to someone's home, or to drive without wearing a seatbelt. But do you every wonder how these laws came to be?
Typically, a law is made in response to something that has happened. Let me give you a few examples....
- Megan's Law -- This is a state-by-state law that requires information about sex offenders to be made available to the public. It was initiated in response to the case of Megan Kanka who was kidnapped, raped, and murdered by a sexual predator living nearby her home. Her parents had no knowledge of his criminal record.
- Amy's Law -- This is a Georgia law that provides harsher penalties for juvenile offenders in response to the case of Amy Yates who was murdered by a fellow 12-year-old playmate who only received 2 years in a juvenile facility for this killing.
Most law makers don't just sit around and think up new laws to make our lives more complicated. Laws are made in response to something that has already happened and as in the examples above, they are presented and pushed for by families who have been victimized.
Other laws, such as murder laws, seat belt laws, hands-free laws and many more are put into effect for the safety of the general public.
What were they thinking?!?!
With an Associate's degree in Criminal Justice and another in Paralegal Studies--I have a background in law. I find it absolutely fascinating that two people can read the same exact legal statute or case law and interpret it in such different ways to suit their own needs. I also find the minds of serial killers absolutely fascinating--I just want to know "Why?"
Anyway, it is with this love and fascination that I present this list of the 10 most absurd, ridiculous laws that are on the books across the U.S. Like me, I'm sure you will be shaking your head asking "why?"
10 Most Absurd Laws
- Like to make animal sounds? Well, you might want to think twice if you live in Miami, Florida---it's forbidden to imitate an animal.
- In Illinois a law exists that states a car must be driven with the steering wheel! (Umm...what else would you use to drive a car??)
- In Kansas, it is illegal to drive a buffalo in the streets. (Honestly...who drives a buffalo??)
- In Michigan, married couples must live together or they will be imprisoned. (Talk about pressure!)
- In 1925 a California law was created that makes it illegal to wiggle while dancing. (What exactly is the definition of wiggle?)
- If your pet cat gets loose in the state of Colorado, it better have a tail-light or else you could be in serious legal trouble. (I can't even get my cat to leave his flea collar on.)
- In the state of Washington, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon that is larger than 6 feet long. (Doesn't this defeat the purpose of being concealed?)
- A Virginia Code of 1930 has a statute that prohibits corrupt practices or bribery by anyone OTHER than political candidates! (I don't even know what to say....)
- In Ohio, you must have a license to keep a bear.
- In Kentucky--it is the law that a person must take a bath once a year. (Yuck!)
As always, I hope you enjoyed this list and maybe even got a good laugh.
Tomorrow's list: 10 Reasons you should exercise every day