#13 ways to make Science Interesting
1. What is Science / Environment and its purpose of Learning:-
- Science is “The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviors of the physical and natural world through observation and experiments.”
- Science involves more than the gaining of knowledge. It is the systematic and organized inquiry into the natural world and its phenomena. Science is about gaining a deeper and often useful understanding of the world.
- Science offers the answers to various questions asked out of curiosity, in our early years. For example How our body functions? And many more.
- Science is just as important as learning other subjects like Mathematics, and history. Because the subject is so vast, learning the basic right from your early learning days will enable you to decide whether you want to pursue a higher education in the subject.
- Science is a mode of teaching and learning practiced by teachers and students at all levels.
2. Why is it necessary to learn Science?
- Science is just as important as learning other subjects because it is so vast, learning the basics right from our early learning days to the present day.
- It is a part of our daily lives from cooking and gardening to recycling and comprehending the daily weather report.
- From reading a map to using a computer, advances in technology and science are transforming our world at an incredible pace and our children’s future will surely be filled with leaps in technology that we can only imagine.
- Being Scientifically literate will no longer be an advantage but an absolute necessity. Science is the study of the world around us, how things work, which living things there are, how things happen, etc.
3. General issue of less liking for the subject:
- Science being a tough subject includes hard terminology and long sentences to understand which is not that easy to grasp easily by the small kids.
- All topics of science are not connected with the natural that small kids observe around so initially they don’t find it interesting and therefore their approach towards science is slow or inattentive.
- Some children do not show interest while interaction or discussions in a particular subject, this shows that the child disinterest in the subject.
- The children can not be judged but their reaction and judged but their reaction and body language in the interactive session tell the unfold things.
- Abstract research has tried to induce a deeper approach to learning by means of students centered learning environments. Finding did nit always confirm positive hypotheses. This has given rise to the question for disliking environment or science.
13 different ways to make Science Interesting
- To stimulate the curiosity of science parents can purchase toys, activity board, worksheets, models etc. that are available in the market as per Kg. to 12 syllabuses. Care should be taken to check that such models are also used by children for practice and better understanding.
- Parents should visit zoo, museum, parks, historical places, science city along with their child. Visiting such places will enable them to understand the Biological Cycle and Bio –Diversities of the world. They should be frequently visited to such places as in one visit only a few things survive in the memory.
- Involve them in the kitchen to understand reactions and usefulness of different spices. The Kitchen is a laboratory at home. Many new trials take place in the kitchen. Children can be made aware about different spices, what is their shape and structure, how do they taste, what is the use of it in preparing a dish and how do they react with other elements. By such exposure students will be keen to learn about such elements and in turn will improve their interest for science.
- To encourage them for science give them toys which are related to science interests such as jigsaw puzzle, Lincoln logs, telescope, microscope, electronic kits etc. Such apparatus in toy format will enhance their curiosity in knowing about the real life apparatus and thus will help improve interest towards Science Subject.
- If your child is interested in astronomy then visit the local planetarium or science center etc. Purchase model of Solar System, Lunar Phases, Galaxy system, etc. Keep a mini telescope and use it to watch Full Moon. Such activities will appear interesting to the child and thus enhance their interest in Science.
- Keep an aquarium in your home and let your child feed the fish. Let the child watch its breathing and feeding activities. This will not only enhance the interest but will also make the child compassionate by observing the fish feeding and movements.
- Discuss with your child the topic of science, watch discovery channel, national geography channel and such other productive programs on TV along with your child. While watching also discuss with them to know what they grasp and explain where they lack.
- Purchase science books, magazines, a newspaper based on science subject and read along with your child certain interesting fact, experiments and discoveries.
- Perform Experiments if possible which is the best way to create love for the science subject. Silly experiments like using a magnifying glass to focus sunlight on the paper and see the burning of paper. By this way, children will be excited to notice the effects and then study the reasons of same.
- For chemistry watch videos, explain acid/base using litmus paper. Try Lemon – Ink demo at home. Take a lemon half and squash in a jar. Using a drawing stick write the name on plain paper and let it dry. Then apply some heat on the paper and see the name appear in dark letters. Such demo will increase their curiosity towards knowing new things.
- For biology, one can perform experiments over plants and such living and nonliving and also create interest by watching videos. You can ask the child to collect different types of leaves and then stick it on one chart paper and make the child understand the different shapes and structures of leaves. This activity will enhance the interest in the child for the subject of science.
- Prepare volcano, earthquake models, guess weight at the supermarket, measuring temperature by thermometer etc. stimulates interest for science in the child.
- Make an informal group that consists of children of the same class, school or society. Organize get together, parties, forums at home turn by turn with respective member and try out scientific experiments at home. This will not only develop interest towards the subject but also increase harmony among students and will increase the concept of sharing and collaboration for knowledge.