- Education and Science
25 Fun Slang Phrases from the Roaring '20s that you've probably never heard
1. Barneymugging: having sex.
2. Boiled as an Owl: drunk.
3. Cast a Kitten: having a temper tantrum ("don't cast a kitten, doll").
4. Cellar Smeller: a person with a nose for free drinks.
5. Choice bit of calico: a sexy dame.
6. Coffin Varnish: low-quality prohibition liquor.
7. Dead Hoofer: a person who can't dance, but tries anyway.
8. Dead Soldier: an empty beer or alcohol bottle.
9. Declaration of Independence: a divorce paper.
10. Electric Cure: death by electric chair or treatment by electroshock.
11. Face Stretcher: an older woman who tries to look young, but fails.
12. Flat Tire: an uninteresting person.
13. Hit on All Sixes: to perform exceedingly well, or at one-hundred percent.
14. Hope Chest: a pack of cigarettes.
15. To go and Iron one’s shoelaces: to excuse oneself to take a leak.
16. Jake: just fine. "Everything's Jake."
17. Kick the Gong Around: to smoke opium.
18. Know your onions: to have expertise about a subject or know the details of a situation.
19. Lalapazaza: a good sport.
20. Manacle: A wedding ring.
21. “Now you’re on the trolley!”: “Now you're getting it right!”
22. On a toot: on a drunken bender.
23. Quilt: booze that keeps you warm.
24. Sockdollager: An event of great importance. "Wilson's inaugural was a real sockdollager!"
25. “Tell it to Sweeney!”: "Go and tell stories to somebody else, because I don't believe you."