30 Struggles All ISTP Personalities Face
Why do you like ISTPS?
The Myers Briggs personality the ISTP is the mechanic of the 16 personalities. The ISTP can be a lifesaver in emergent situations, an attractive force, and a problem solving guru. ISTP stands for introverted, sensing, thinking, and perceiving. Their dominate function is introverted thinking followed by extroverted sensing, introverted intuition, and down in the gutter -- extroverted feeling. It would behoove the ISTP to find people who have better developed extroverted feeling, like the INFJ, ENFJ, ESFJ -- but these types may confuse the ISTP. Or the ISTP will confuse them by putting them in their box of ambiguity. The ISTP is a great worker and tinkerer to have. They often struggle with relationships and empathy. It's probably best for an ISTP to be alone or have a small family. The ISTP is close to one of the most prominent personalities to commit affairs and have divorces -- the ESTP. Be careful, ISTP! You have to think about others and the consequences of it.
1. The ISTP doesn't have time for emotions or empathy, and they're not sure how it's applicable in many a situation. Patience for emotions? Why?
2. The ISTP gets bored easily. It was great, but really -- let's never do it again.
3. The ISTP sucks at long term commitments. They're present minded people. Good luck planning something with them.
4. They have difficulty figuring out how to emotionally develop a relationship and end up going physical too quick.
5. The ISTP likes to stir up things to help create action -- which may just cause drama and friction.
6. They're some of the most extreme loners and often are difficult to have open up emotionally.
7. The ISTP's attention span in class my wander horrifically as they don't care for long winded lectures and explanations. If they can't see how it immediately works, they're not sure how to carry it in their brains.
8. The ISTP is great at emergency situations, but terrible at ongoing crisis.
9. The ISTP has a tendency to be overly private and protective of their private world. It can be like trying to pull teeth to get information out of them or the reason why.
10. The ISTP will fake that they're happy just to get through the situation.
11. The ISTP struggles with mood swings.
12. Do not function well in regimented, structured environments; they will either feel stifled or become intensely bored. This is a terrible personality to try to engage if it is bored. The ISTP will check out.
13. The ISTP can be a bad roommate if you like things being clean. You may come across dirty dishes, cockroaches, camping equipment left everywhere, trash piling up, strange mechanical objects brought into the house, dirty clothes, a bad stench, and no cleaning supplies.
14. The ISTP under a lot of stress will forget to bathe. They'll look and act like a slug with salt poured on its back.
15. The ISTP is laid back -- but is judging you hardcore.
16. The ISTP is not a fan of having too many decisions on the table.
17. The ISTP is picky about a lot of things and has a lot of peculiar off the wall rules that can be difficult for outsiders to follow... or have a desire to follow. It's confusing as to what upsets the ISTP and what will trigger it to go into a hefty loner state. Who knows?
18. The ISTP can kind of be an asshole. They don't mean no harm, but you might get cancelled on.. a lot.
19. The ISTP does what it can to avoid conflicts rather than go through them.
20. The ISTP struggles with surrounding themselves with people who support their own way of life, and reject people who think or live differently.
21. The ISTP scorns being controlled. They may reject institutions and people who come off too strict. They may suddenly abandon a relationship if it becomes sour.
22. The ISTP doesn't care as much as some about others' feelings. They may unknowingly hurt someone's feelings. But sometimes they really just don't care. Because... why? They're emotions are not as developed since it's an inferior function. They'd rather use their thinking to get through things, which doesn't always work -- and then they're emotionally backed up and feel the need to go angry walk around the planet.
23. Under stress, they may show intense emotions that seem disproportionate to the situation.
24. If something is too abstract or fantastical for the ISTP, they'll probably ignore it.
25. The ISTP has a deep love of facts and how things are processed. They have a mechanical mind, but there's a lot of things where this approach is not applicable.
26. The ISTP is more a thinker for details than widespread global thinking. You might confuse the hell out of them if you jump around in topics too much for them to handle. But for those of you who are not ISTP -- don't try to change your life to cater to an ISTP's needs. You either click with them, or you don't.
27. The ISTP can isolate themselves into a narrow and lonely experience. Try to be more open minded. You may have to face your fears in order to grow and enjoy life more rather than only focusing on a single mechanical project.
28. If you haven't shown your significant other your multiple dark moody sides -- don't marry them just yet. They need to know more about how intense your personality is before they commit. Also, don't slack heavily in the relationship just because it's the easy thing to do.
29. The ISTP is likely to have a hard time figuring out exactly how he or she feels about someone. It's important that you do figure this out. Don't lead someone on romantically with your ambivalence. If you determine that you value the person, tell them so every time you think of it. This is the best way to make them feel secure in your affections, and so to promote a long-lasting relationship. Otherwise, if you lead them on, they're going to end up hating you and cutting all ties with you. Other people are not just toys or your projects.
30. The ISTP needs to respect external principles even if they don't fit in with their way of life. Just because you don't see the point of stopping at a red light, doesn't mean you should eschew the rule.
31. The ISTP may forget to do certain practical or mundane things in their life. Such as making annual doctor appointments, filing out forms, or remembering their partner's birthday.
32. The ISTP doesn't mean to come off as an asshole, but sometimes they're just oblivious to how others perceive things. This partly because of their inferior emotion function. This is also because they are not fond of being around others who are too different from them.
33. Sensuality is your kryptonite.
34. Don't forget about your close relationships in favor of other pursuits. Relationships need constant maintenance.
35. Be engaged when others are speaking. Sometimes you get bored and tune out when it's not interesting enough.
36. The ISTP can be way too vulnerable to rejection putting someone else in an ambiguous spot.
37. ISTPs often resist and rebel situations that are entirely new, or that require a great deal of structured planning and thinking.
38. The NF temperament won't make sense to the ISTP. They'll fake it and try to be polite -- but at the end of the day the best they can do is admire it. They probably find a lot of them to be dysfunctional or irrational.
39. The ISTP is way too good at faking things and struggles with authenticity at times.
40. ISTPs are most comfortable using their known skills, rather than being thrown into situations with which they have no personal experience.