- Education and Science»
- Psychology & Psychiatry
HOW YOU CAN CLASSIFY YOUR PERSONALITY, CHARACTERISTICS AND TRAITS?
As I already explained in detail about
it is time to look further into the deep and study about the methods or approaches for classifying personality, characteristics and traits. In this article, we will also study that HOW CAN YOU CLASSIFY YOUR OWN PERSONALITY, YOUR OWN CHARACTERISTICS, YOUR OWN QUALITIES and YOUR OWN TRAITS. I will also recommend some test for you, and by using all of them, you will identify and classify yourself different to many other people, by classifying your own personality, characteristics and traits.
We have already discussed that people are different from each other, in many ways, and a lot of factors are involved in the determination of one’s personality. Now it is time to gather some knowledge that how we can identify, recognize, classify and analyze the different characteristics and traits of a person.
For identification and classification of traits and characteristics of a person’s personality, two methods/approaches have really engrossed their importance in the fields of psychology and behavioral studies. These two approaches are:
1. The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)
Big Five Personality Model
1. The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)
What is “Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)”? To keep the answer really simple, I would like to explain this approach as:
“The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator or MBTI is a systematic assessment process which involves a 100 questionnaire designed to assess the perception of people about the world and the mental capabilities by using the results of the answers by the interviewees about the decisions they make in some given particular conditions and situations”
On the result of the above questionnaire, a person is classified as one of the following:
· Extroverted or Introverted (E or I)
· Sensing or Intuitive (S or N)
· Thinking or Feeling (T or F)
· Judging or Perceiving (J or P)
Brief explanations of the above classifications are given below:
1. Extrovert and Introvert
1. Extroverts are usually action oriented people and generally focuses on taking actions more frequently while introverts are usually thought oriented people and prefer to take actions with less frequency as extroverts.
2. Extroverts like to do more interaction as compared to introverts. Introverts are inclined towards the ‘substantiality’ of the interaction rather than the ‘frequency’ of the interaction.
3. Extroverts like to spend more time with people and in socialization as compared to introverts, who usually like to spend their time alone.
4. Extroverts are generally known as to be sociable, outgoing and assertive, while introverts as shy, timid and quite.
2. Sensing and Intuitive
1. People who fall in the category of “Sensing” prefer routine and order in their lives and are much more practical than ‘Intuitive’ type of persons, who preferable rely on their unconscious process rather than being practical.
3. Thinking and Feeling
1. People who fall in the category of ‘Thinking’, are much more logical and thought-provoked persons than ‘Feeling’ type persons.
2. ‘Thinking’ people find reasons to support their feelings while ‘Feeling’ people tend to rely on their emotions and feelings to give a reason to their points and thoughts.
4. Judging and Perceiving
1. ‘Judging’ people like structures and orders while ‘Perceiving’ type of persons like flexibility.
2. ‘Judging’ people are not that much spontaneous as ‘Perceiving’ ones.
Together, these classifications describe 16 different types of personalities (by having a simple mathematics formula of POWER SET, you can reach the above calculation)
In the image, you can have a clear vision about the MBTI table.
You can classify your own personality (by identifying, to which class, you resemble to most in each category). I’ll briefly explain here some of the most common personality types, and then we will gear up towards the Big Five Personality Model.
The INTJs are visionaries’ type of people. They have usually their own ideas in their ‘original’ minds; they are experts in driving their own purposes and way of thinking. They are independent, determined, critical but often stubborn.
The ESTJs are good organizers with realistic approaches and logical and decisive head. They have a natural tendency for businesses and mechanics.
Now you people please vote in the following poll, as to which personalities classification resembles to your traits, the most. In this way, we can have a small survey about our readers. It will be fun =) so do not forget to cast your vote =)
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)
To which personality type, you resemble the most?
THE BIG FIVE PERSONALITY MODEL
There came many criticisms on ‘The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator’ despite its well-structured approach. It may lack of strong supporting evidences, but this cannot be said about the BIG FIVE PERSONALITY MODEL. Its supporting evidences have been growing for the last 50 years. While there are lot of things that support this BIG FIVE PERSONALITY MODEL, but some of the researches do not agree on the exact label of the ‘5 dimensions’ of this approach. These five dimensions or categories are described below:
This category measures your comfort level with your relationships. This trait includes characteristics and qualities such as, sociability, talkativeness, assertiveness and emotional expressiveness.
This category measures your propensity to agree or defer to other people. This trait includes characteristics such as, kindness, affection, trust, co-operation and being warm with other people.
This category measures your level of reliability and responsibility. This trait includes the qualities such as, responsibility, reliability, dependability, persistency, goal-directed behavior and being organized and structured.
4. EMOTIONAL STABILITY / NEUROTICISM
This category which measures your emotional stability is often known ‘Neuroticism’. People, who tend to be high in the negative scores, are most likely to be, emotionally insecure, anxious, depressed, not being confident and sad. While people, who score more positive ones in this trait, are most likely to be, calm, self-confident, emotionally stable, secure and happy.
This category measures your range of interests and fascination with novelty. People who score ‘High’ in this trait are often creative, curious and artistically sensitive and also may have a broad range of interests. While people who score less in this trait, are more likely to be conventional and find comfort in the familiar and traditional patterns. They do not really like to think ‘out of the box’.
These 5 dimensions of the “BIG FIVE FACTOR PERSONALITY MODEL” are very much the true evidence of one’s personality, but the criticism they this approach faced, (which I also think to be somewhat true, and if you people will try to take this test, you will find this criticism valid too) that these 5 dimensions may not act EXCLUSIVELY, which means. Many of the dimensions tend to be demonstrated in many people, SIMULTANOUSLY, means 50-50 ;)
But still, this approach holds great importance in the behavioral studies. If you want (I would highly recommend you people) to take this test by clicking the following link,
Feedbacks are welcome. I hope this series of articles about personalities would have helped many people out there. This series includes:
Be safe, be kind and try taking both the tests and posting your results, as it will help many people to determine different individuals’ behavior, and we can gather a small survey as well. Take care and have a nice day analyzing your very own personality ;)