5 Qualities of a Great Teacher : For Best Teacher-Student Relationship
5th Sept. Teacher's Day In India!
"A good teacher can inspire hope, ignite the imagination, and instill a love of learning."
Other Related Hubs By Chitrangada Sharan
- How To Deal With Examination Stress? : The Do's And The Don'ts.
Is your child having exam. stress? Proper planning, methodical study can help to cope with such stress like situations. Parents should be realistic and avoid over expectation and be good counselors.
- Overdependence on technology By Children.
Can you think of life without technology today? No, it is indispensable for all of us, especially children. Some precautions must be taken, to control addiction, so it does not affect their health.
How To Be A Great And Not Only Good Teacher!
© Chitrangada Sharan Sept. 2013
All Rights Reserved.
- Teacher' s day is celebrated all over the world, but on different dates. It is celebrated to honour the invaluable contribution of teachers to the society.
- In India it is celebrated on the 5th of September, the birthday of Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, a great teacher, philosopher, statesman and former President of India.
- A good teacher leaves an impact on a student' s life and character. There are some teachers, for whom the students have extreme respect and they consider them as role models and mentors.
- Whereas, there are others who are not very much appreciated by the students and are considered burdensome sometimes boring by the students.
- Here it is important to mention about the GURU-SHISHYA Parampara, which was prevalent in the ancient Indian culture. When the students used to live in GURUKULS, and they respected and revered their Gurus so much that they placed them above their parents.
Now what qualities should a teacher have to be considered as an ideal by the students!
Other Useful Hubs By Chitrangada Sharan
- The Joy Of Reading Print Books As Compared To e-Book...
While it can't be denied that the traditional print books are less preferred compared to e-books by the tech. savvy people these days, but I do believe that paper books will never disappear completely
- How To Manage Your Time: Time Management Techniques
All of us have only 24 hours in a day to complete our work. How to manage time effectively? Time cannot be managed. What you can manage is the usage of time efficiently by following some techniques.
- How To Study and Be A Good Student--
A student with moderate ability, who uses his talents in a methodical way to STUDY , will achieve more success than a person with greater ability but who is unmethodical. HOW! Read on rules to follow-
Do you think teachers have great influence in the shaping up of a student?
What Are The Qualities Of A Good Teacher:
1. Be a good listener:
In order to have a strong Teacher-Student relationship, the teacher should not only speak and deliver lectures, but also listen to his/ her students.
The teacher should make every student respond and feel free to communicate. What happens that the brighter students pick up easily and are quick to communicate or ask their doubts, but the shy or the mediocre students are not good in communicating their doubts.
The real challenge for a teacher is to uplift the backward students. Encourage them and push them so that they too can excel in academics and other extra curricular activities.
In my teaching carrier, I had many examples of mediocre students who did extremely well with a little push and encouraging words.
2. Be a Role Model:
Students always look up to the teacher for guidance and support not only in their academic life but also in their personal problems.
As a teacher they have faith and trust in you and a good teacher lives up to the trust of his students. The teacher must lead by example by showing his/ her confidence, patience, perseverance, hard work and focused approach.
3. Know each student' s capabilities:
A good teacher knows that no two student can be alike. Some are good in academics while the other may be good in Sports. So the teacher should avoid comparisons and like a good mentor, try to bring out the best from each of his/ her students.
4. Cultivate Curiosity:
Children or students are by nature curious and inquisitive. A good teacher does not suppress the curiosity of the students. Rather he/ she encourages them to ask questions and gives satisfying answers.
For this reason a good teacher must have mastery of his subject and also what is happening around.
5. Make Teaching Interactive and Fun:
A good teacher does lot of experiments, to make learning fun, exciting and lasting.
Sometimes classrooms are boring for students. But lessons can also be taught outside classrooms. For example in a garden.
Students do not like monotony, as such changing the location, being interactive, learn by fun methods should be applied by the teacher.
A good teacher is the one who gives his students to take home, something to think about and not only Homework.
'The teacher is the one who gets the most out of the lessons, and the true teacher is the learner.'
The Guru- Shishya Parampara of Ancient India
- The Guru-Shishya Parampara or The Teacher-Student Lineage of Ancient India denotes a Spiritual relationship between the teacher and the students.
- In those days, a student or the Shishya compulsorily had to live at the Gurukul or the teacher' s ashram.
- The knowledge was imparted not only by books but by day today activities.
- The relationship between the teacher and the student was pious, genuine and full of commitment for each other.
- So pure and devoted was the relationship that the Guru selflessly transmitted and imparted all his Gyana or the knowledge to his disciple or Shishya.
- The student eventually mastered all the knowledge given by his teacher.
Such examples are rare these days. It needs commitment from both the student and the teacher to achieve this kind of relationship.
But it is possible and to end on a positive note, it is the teacher who must lead by example.
© Chitrangada Sharan 4th Sept. 2013
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
"Every child should have a caring adult in their lives. And that's not always a biological parent or family member. It may be a friend or neighbour. Often times it is a teacher."
What Makes A Teacher Great, Source: You tube
Did you keep in touch with your teachers after you completed school/ college?
© 2013 Chitrangada Sharan