- Education and Science»
- History & Archaeology
A November trivia quiz
I love the month of November! Not only is Thanksgiving (aka Turkey Day) celebrated this month in the U.S., but it is also our traditional election day. Best of all, a few of my favorite family members celebrate their birthdays this month. In honor of this very cool month I have created this trivia quiz all about November.
To participate in the quiz get out paper and pen or pencil. Next, scroll down through the questions (there are 23 questions in all) and choose an answer from among the selection of four given possibilites for each. After the questions you will find the answers, and there you can tally up your score to see how well you did. Good luck!
1. In Latin the word November means
a. eleventh month
b Scorpio month
c. frost month
d. ninth month
2. What famous group of paintings was first exhibited November 1st of 1512?
a. Da Vinci’s Holy Family
b. Michelangelo’s works at the Sistine Chapel
c. Titian’s Seasons
d. Portabella’s Mushrooms
3. What official North American bureau began operations on November 1st, 1870?
a. The United States Weather Bureau
b. The Canadian Bureau of Psychic Affairs
c. The U.S. Bureau of Virgin Inspections
d. The U.S. Bureau of Native American Affairs
4. What gem has the longest history of being worn as a traditional birthstone for November?
c. yellow jade
d. yellow diamond
5. What former First Lady was born November 4, 1946?
a. Barbara Bush
b. Hillary Clinton
c. Laura Bush
d. Nancy Reagan
6. On November 6, 1860 this man became the first Republican to be elected President of the United States. He was:
a. Andrew Jackson
b. Abraham Lincoln
c. Andrew Johnson
d. Millard Filmore
7. Austria, Germany and Switzerland celebrate what on November 9th?
a. Lederhosen Day
b. Mead Day
c. Inventors Day
d. Sausage Day
8. What song by Irving Berlin was first performed on November 11, 1938 (sung by Kate Smith)?
a. Big Mama’s House
b. God Bless America
c. Hey, Big Spender
d. Long, Lanky Pilgrim Boy
9. What famous Irish author of horror was born November 8, 1847?
a. John Maynard Kelly
b. Megan Kelly
c. Kelly O’Kelly
d. Bram Stoker
10. Scottish explorer James Bruce discovered what on November 14, 1770?
a. that his wife had sewn poison into his kilt
b. the source of the Blue Nile
c. the location of Cleopatra’s tomb
d. that laughing when the King’s ball goes into a sand trap can be detrimental to life and limb
11. This famous romance drama film, based on the play Everybody Comes To Rick’s, made its debut on November 26, 1942. What was this film?
b. For Whom the Bell Tolls
c. The Maltese Falcon
d. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
12. What medical device was patented on November 3, 1846?
a. The surgery suture
b. Surgical gloves
c. The artificial leg
d. The sandbag breasts enhancer
13. On November 19, 1493 Christopher Columbus discovered what?
a. A trade route to Alaska
b. Puerto Rico
c. His cabin boy was really a cabin girl
d. He should have listened to his wife about bringing along the map with the directions back to Europe
14. On November 20, 1620 a baby girl was born aboard The Mayflower to English-born parents. What was the name given to their little bundle of joy?
a. Peregrine White
b. Scurvy Blossom
c. Land ‘Ho
d. Journey Hope
15. On November 30, 1952, the first documented occurrence of what kind of event was recorded?
a. a teenager held her breath under water for over an hour
b. Elvis Presley passed up a fried banana pie
c. a human being was struck by a meteor
d. a human male convincingly faked an orgasm
16. On November 7, 1893 the state of Colorado granted what to women?
a. the right to vote
b. the right to bring a lawsuit against an unfaithful husband
c. the right to own property
d. the right to yield left on a snow ski slope
17. On November 6, 1928 the first animated electric sign was mounted on the Times Building in Times Square, NY. For what purpose was this animated sign used for?
a. displaying cartoons
b. showing presidential election returns
c. displaying stock market values
d. presenting a risqué ad for Nafalino Bras & Corsets
18. On November 4, 1646 Massachusetts passed a law making what punishable by death?
a. Real estate fraud
c. The wearing of jewelry and buckled shoes
d. Smiling during sexual intercourse
19. On November 29, 1983 the drama, The Day After was aired on television. The drama depicted the effects of what fictional event?
a. A pandemic of food poisoning from E-coli-infected Thanksgiving turkeys
b. The election of the U.S.’s first president with a phobia of lying
c. A toilet paper shortage
d. A nuclear attack on the U.S.
20. On November 26, 1963 these items -which had been hidden by Nazis during WWII- were discovered in Austria. What were they?
a. Priceless art treasures
b. Priceless ancient manuscripts
c. Hitler’s plans for unearthing the Ark of the Covenant
d. Hitler’s personal collection of compromising, semi-nude photos of Eleanor Roosevelt
21. Which member of the politically-powerful Kennedy family was born November 20, 1925?
a. John F. Kennedy
b. Robert Kennedy
c. Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy
d. Joseph Kennedy
22.. In the classic Guns N’ Roses’ song, November Rain, what follows this line: “And when your fears subside, and shadows remain..”:
a. “I know that you can love me”
b. “I know my shame is your only pain”
c. “I know our love will stray”
d. “I know your dog watches me while I sleep”
23. According to botanists, in the northern hemisphere Maple leaves most often turn what color by mid- November?
a. light green
Find the answers below the photo!
1. d. ninth month
2.b. Michelangelo’s works at the Sistine Chapel
3. a. The United States Weather Bureau
5. c. Laura Bush
6. b. Abraham Lincoln
7. c. Inventors Day
8. b. God Bless America
9. d. Bram Stoker
10. b. the source of the Blue Nile
11. a. Casablanca
12. c. The artificial leg
13. b. Puerto Rico
14. a. Peregrine White
15. c. a human being was struck by a meteor
16. a. the right to vote
17. b. showing presidential election returns
18. b. Heresy
19. d. A nuclear attack on the U.S.
20. a. Priceless art treasures
21. b. Robert Kennedy
22. a. “I know that you can love me”
23. a. light green