- Education and Science»
- School & Classroom Etiquette & Social Skills
What To Do If Someone You Know Is Being Bullied
We've all seen it, and unfortunately some of us were the victims of it: bullying. It's done everyday to innocent children and adults alike. Here's what to do if someone you know is being bullied.
- Tell someone. If you're a child, you need to tell a trusted adult immediately. Parents, teachers, family, or even the police. Don't try to take matters into your own hands.
- Talk to that person. If you know the person being bullied, talk to them. Let them know that you're there for them if they need to talk or need help. Encourage them to speak out about the bully, and to tell an adult they're being picked on.
- Don't criticize them. Being bullied is a sensitive matter, especially if they're being bullied by someone at home that they look up to. Be sympathetic when you listen to them, and again, encourage them to tell someone, even though it may be hard for them to do.
- Don't force them. Forcing them to speak out may only make matters worse. Let them go at their own pace. As long as you have told someone, at least they're aware of it.
- Stick up for them. If you are with that person and the bully comes around, don't run away. Stay there and stick up for them. Don't fight back physically, but let the bully know that what they're saying to you doesn't bother you. They might back off.
- Tell them to stick up for themselves. People being bullied often feel helpless and alone. Tell them to get the fight back in them and that they don't deserve this. No one does. Encouraging them and being aggressive about getting some fight back in them may be the turn around they need.
Stick with these basic rules and any bullying problem should be conquered.
Need Additional Information About Education? Check out my links!
Review Games For The Elementary, Middle, & High School
Teachers: Classroom Craft & Art Project Ideas For The Elementary Grades (More Than Just Using Crayons!)
Classroom & Behavior Management Systems For The Elementary Classroom
Top 10 Reasons Why Being An Educator Is Rewarding
What Clearances Do I Need To Teach In PA? How Do I Get Them?
Home Schooling vs. Public Education
Jobs & Activities For Building A Future Teacher's Resume