Attacks by Captive Tigers
Tigers in captivity can become somewhat tame. However, as a non-domesticated, large and predatory animals--things do go wrong, including a number of prominent fatal attacks across the years (and centuries). It has been suggested that the partially unregulated ownership of tigers in the United States is a serious public safety problem.
Fatal Tiger Attacks Occurring in Captivity
- 2015: A tiger called Oz fatally attacked a senior keeper at Hamilton Zoo (New Zealand).
- 2012: A tiger escaped into a storage area and fatally attacked a keeper at Cologne zoo (Germany).
- 2010: Norman Buwalda of Ontario, Canada was killed by his own tiger after entering its cage.
- 2009:Dalu Mncube was killed while cleaning the enclosure of a white tiger at the Zion Wildlife Gardens (Whangarei, New Zealand).
- 2009: Guo was killed after accidentally jumping into a wildlife park adjoining the great Wall of China.
- 2008: Nordin bin Montong was killed by tigers at the Singapore Zoo. It is unclear whether the as carrying out normal cleaning activities as a zoo worker, or had gone into the enclosure when acting erratically.
- 2007: Carlos Sousa is killed by a tiger (Tatiana again) that escaped from her enclosure at the San Francisco Zoo.
- 2006: Keeper Lori Komejan is mauled by tiger Tatiana in the San Francisco Zoo and later won a settlement against the zoo.
- 2006: Cynthia Lee Gamble (Minnesota, United States) was killed by her own tiger when a door between the enclosure and holding area was left open.
- 2005: Haley R. Hilderbrand was killed by a tiger while posing for a photograph at the Lost Creek Animal Sanctuary (Kansas, United States).
- 2003:Roy Horn of " Siegfried & Roy" a famous Las Vegas act that included a number of tigers was seriously mauled during a show.
- 1703: Hannah Twynnoy was reportedly killed by a tiger in a traveling menagerie. Her tombstone was inscribed:
In bloom of Life she's snatchd from hence
She had not room to make defence
For Tyger fierce took life away
And here she lies in bed of Clay
Until the Resurrection Day.
In the Wild
Tigers are one of the few species that still regularly predates on humans in the wild.