BCom papers and syllabus
DETAILS OF COURSES
BUSINESS STATISTICS & MATHEMATICS STATISTICS
(1) Definition, Application in Business and Commerce, Classification and Tabulation, Statistical Enquiries, Diagrams and Graphs, Measures of Central Values, Measures of Dispersion, Skewness, Simple, Correlation and Regression, Lines of Regression, Method of least square and curve fitting with application to Business.
Index, Number: Kind of Index numbers with special emphases to consumer price Index numbers.
(2) Probability: Set theory, Definition, Laws of Probability, Conditional Probability, Independent and Dependent events; Application in Business.
(3) Random Variables: Introduction, Discrete and Continuous Random variables, Probability function, Expected values of Random variables.
(4) Tests of significance : Introduction, Tests for means and proportions for single and two population.
Solution of Simultaneous equation, Solution of quadratic equation, sequence Series and Progression: Arithmetic & geometric and their application in Business, Matrices and determinants: Addition, Subtraction and Multiplication of Matrices, Expansion of Determinations, Inverse of a matrix. Use of matrices in the solution of system of linear equations.
Differention of a function, Partial differentiation, Application of derivatives in Business Commerce, Optimization.
Note: 50% marks are for Statistics Section.
(1) Syed Hassan Mirza, Business Mathematic for Management and Finance.
(2) L.W. Stafford, Business Mathematics.
(3) Richard Lacava. Business Statistics when & Why Irvan & Publication, Illinsis.
(4) Lavin. Business Statistics. Prentice Hall Inc.
(5) Nasir Ali Syed, and G.H. Gill. Statistics and Mathematics.
N.A. Siddiqui, Modern Business Mathematics and Statistics.
Note: Latest Edition of the Recommended Books.
COMPUTERS APPLICATIONS IN BUSINESS
(1) Types of Computer. Software and Hardware. Classification of Computer Types of Storage. Memory, Input and Output Devices Types of Software. Operating System, Common terminology's use in Computer Field.
(2) Data Processing: What is Data, What does Data Processing mean? Life Cycle of Data Processing, data vs Information. How data become information the need of Data Processing in Business Organization.
(3) Introduction to Microsoft Windows 98/2000 Professional: Desktop, incense, task bar, Display properties, Control Panel (mouse, keyboard, regional settings). Windows Explorer.
(4) Excel 2000, Power Point 2000
(5) Internet and E-mail: What is Internet, Services provided by Internet, Using a web browser, Address bar, Refresh and Stop, Suing a search engine, Saving information from the Net, Creating an E-mail accounts of Free Web Servers, What is E-mail, sending and receiving E-mails, difference between ISP & Free Web Server mail accounts.
Introduction: Definition, Nature, Scope and Importance (Micro and Macro) Economics Description. Analysis and Policy: economic Methodology.
Consumption: Definition and meaning, Diminishing Marginal Utility: Consumer's surplus.
Demand: Definition and meaning, Curves; Elasticity of Demand and its measurement, Laws of Substitution; Indifference Curves.
Supply: Supply, changes in supply, Equilibrium Analysis.
Production: Laws of returns and their application to Agriculture and Industry, Factor of Production, Land, Labour and its mobility, Labour Force and population theories, Capital, its meaning, Accumulation, productivity of Capital, Entrepreneur, Functions of Entrepreneur.
Cost: Fixed, Variable, Total, Average and Marginal: Cost over time period.
Market: Perfect and Imperfect Competition. Demand and Supply Relationship, Market price and Normal price; price determination under perfect and imperfect competition, Monopoly, Oligopoly, Duopoly and Price Control, (Basis Concepts).
Factor Pricing: Rent, Wages, Interest and Profit.
National Income: Measurement of National Income: Concepts of National Income-GNP, National Income: at market price, at factor Cost; Measurement of national Product in current price and in constant prices.
Balance of Payment: Balance of Trade, Balance of payments, Causes of Disequilibrium and Measures.
Public Finance: Meaning, Different between Private and Public Finance, Income and Expenditure of Public Bodies, Kinds to Taxes and Cannons of Taxes.
Economics in Islam: Economic role of State in Islam, Zakat and Usher.
(1) Economics by Muhammad Irshad.
(2) Sh. Manzoor Ali, Economics, Ilmi Kutab Khana, Urdu bazar, Lahore.
(3) Lioyd G. Reynolds Irwin. Micro Economics analysis & Policy. Irwin Homwood Illinols.
(4) Nacy Smith Bareent. The Theory of Macro Economics Policy, Prentics Hall.
(5) Fdword Shariro. Macro Economic Analysis. Harcourt Brace.
(6) Saeed Nasir M.A. Textbook of Economics. Ilmi Kutab Khana, Lahore.
(7) Salman Rizavi. Economics.
(8) Paul A. Sameulson. Economics.
Sohail Akhter: Textbook of Economics.
Note: Latest Edition of the Recommended Books.
(1) Field of accounting, Accounting terminology, Accounting cycle, Accounting equation (Balance Sheet).
(2) Recording the business transactions. Journal, Ledger and Trial Balance.
(3) Subsidiary Ledgers for sales, purchases, cash, banking transactions, Bank Reconciliation and Negotiable Instruments, etc.
(4) Depreciation Methods and Accounting Treatment.
(5) The periodical adjustment and closing processaccruals, discounts, uncollectables and correction of errors. Capital and Revenue, provision and reserve.
(6) The Worksheet.
(7) Final Accounts, Income Statement, Capital Statement, Retained Earning Statement and Balance Sheet.
(8) Partnership Accounts Formation, Admission, Retirement, Death, Dissolution.
(9) Accounting for Non-trading concerns, Receipts and Payments Account, Income and Expenditure Account.
(10) Incomplete records, single entry system.
(1) Accounting by M. Arif & Sohail Afzal, Azeem Academy Lahore.
(2) Ghani, M.A. Principels of Accounting, Salman Publishers, Lahore.
(3) Meigs and Meigs Accounting. The Basis for Business Decisions McGraw Hill Book Company.
(4) Niswonger and Fees Accounting Principles South-Western.
(5) Fundamentals of Accounting by Ch. M. Hanif and Azam Shafiq. Etisam Publishers, Urdu Bazar, Lahore.
(6) Accounting by Dr. Khawaja Amjad Saeed, Institute of Business Management, Lahore.
Note: Latest Edition of the Recommended books.
(1) Vocabulary: Antonyms, Synonyms, Homonyms, One word Substitute.
(2) Practical Grammar Sentence Structure: Types of sentences based on function e.g. Interrogative sentences, based on structure e.g. Compound sentences. Parts of a Sentence subject, predicate complements, direct indirect Objective, Rules for structuring sentences. Phrases types and functions, Clauses types and functions.
(3) Parts of Speech: Major word classes. Nouns with further classifications (regular, countable; uncountable; singular; plural), Pronouns with further classifications, Verbs emphasis on three forms of verbs, Adjectives with further classification three degrees of comparison, Adverbs with further classifications. Minor word classes: Preposition, conjunctions with further classifications, Interjections, Auxiliary verbs, Determiners. Infinitive, Participle, Gerund, Genitives types and functions.
(4) Punctuations: Tenses Types, Structure, Function, Conversion into negative and interrogative.
(5) Active and Passive Voice.
(6) Direct and Indirect Speech.
(7) Articles: Definite, Indefinite.
(8) Composition: (Comprehension) Précis Writing, Essay Writing.
INTRODUCTION TO BUSINESS
Business: Meaning, Nature, Scope and Importance, Problems, Functions and qualities of a Businessman.
Sole Proprietorship: Features, Merits and Demerits.
Partnership: Features, Merits and Demerits, Co-ownership vs. Partnership; Classification of Partners; Rights, Duties, and Liabilities of Partners, Dissolution of Partnership.
Joint Stock Company: Features, Merits and Demerits, Formation, Memorandum of Association; Articles of Association, Prospectus, Capital, Management, Meetings, Winding up.
Cooperative Society: Features, Kinds, Merits and Demerits.
Combination: Meaning, Causes and Purposes, Advantages and Disadvantages, Types of Combination, Forms of Combination.
Trade: Wholesales, retail, Import and Export.
Marketing: Definition, Functions, Scope Advantages and Disadvantage, Marketing Versus Selling.
Channels of Distribution: Meaning, Functions, Kinds Selection of Channels, Advantages.
Sales Promotion: Meaning, Objects and Methods.
Advertising: Meaning, Objects, Types, Merits and Demerits Advertising Media.
Warehousing: Definition, Functions, Kinds.
Business Risk: Definition. Types Methods of Handling Risk.
Insurance: Meaning, Principles, Kinds (Life, Fire, Marine) Importance.
Finance: Definition, Components, Importance Kinds and Sources.
Management: Definition, Base, Functions and Management.
(1) Nisar-ud-Din. Business Organization. Aziz Publishers, Urdu Bazar, Lahore.
(2) Introduction to Business by Muhammad Irshad.
(3) Introduction to Business by Khalid Mehmood Cheema, Syed Mobin Mahmood & Company, Lahore.
(4) Thedore J.Sielaff and John W. Aberle. Introduction to Business, Belmont, California. Warsworth Publishing Company Inc.
(5) Askari Zaidi S.A. Fundamentals of Business. Orient Publishers, Karachi.
(6) Glass & Baker. Introduction to business.
(7) Ali M.H. Introduction to Business.
Note: Latest Editions of the recommended books.
MONEY & BANKING
Introduction: Evolution of Money, Forms, Functions, Importance and role of Money.
Value of Money: Quantity Theory of Money, Cash Balance theory of Money, Measurement of value of Money. Devaluation of Money.
Trade Cycle: Phases, Causes, Remedies, Theory of Trade Cycles.
Inflation: Kinds, Causes, Remedies, Deflation, reflection, Disinflation, Stagflation.
International Monitoring Systems: IMF, IBRD, Asian Development Bank, Islamic Development Bank.
Introduction: Definition, Evolution, Kinds of Banks.
Commercial Bank: Principles, Function, Importance. Role of Banks.
Bank Account: Current, PLS, Term Deposit, Foreign Currency Accounts.
Bank Customer: Different Types of Customers, Bankers Customers Relationships.
Bank Advances: Running Finance, Cash Finance, Demand Finance, Term Finance, Discounting of Bills, Purchase of Bills, Principles of Advances, Securities, Modes of Lending.
Letter of Creditors: Kinds, Operations, Advantages.
Central Bank: Principles, Functions, Role, Monitoring Policies, Methods of Note Issues, State Bank of Pakistan, Functions and Role.
Bank in Pakistan: Brief History, Nationalization, Privatization, ADBP, IDBP, Small Business Finance Corporation.
Islamic Banking: Principles, Functions, Islamic Modes of Finance.
(1) Money & Banking by Muhammad Irshad,
(2) Money & Banking by M. Saeed Nasir, Kitab Markaz Faisalabad.
(3) Practice and Law of Banking in Pakistan, Israr Siddiqui, Royal Book Co., Karachi.
(4) Banking and Finance in Pakistan, S.A., Menai Oxford University Press, Karachi.
(5) An outline of Money by Crowther, Thomas Nelson & Sons Ltd. London.
(6) Hassan, Moheen, Banking Mobeen Publishers, Lahore.
Islamic Studies (Ethical Behaviour in lieu of Islamic Studies for Non-Muslim Student)