Bio Plastic -A Solution to Plastic Waste Disposal?
Bioplastic For Environmental Safety
We cover our nose from the uncomfortable & toxic smelling smoke that arises from the plastic burning in the waste dump. ‘Oh…if this plastic never existed’ people who do not have such a thought will not be there today. The invention of plastic was a revolution in the business scenario. Today plastic is something which we cannot avoid in our day to day lives. Along with that the way it affects our environment adversely increases day by day. We cannot think about a day in our lives without plastic. This is where bio plastic has its importance.
Bio materials are those which can be decomposed /broken down by bacteria & that which becomes food for the decomposers. Bio plastics are those which are natural, which can decompose & mix with the soil & which can be made from recyclable materials.
Bio plastics are made mainly from recyclable materials like strands from Cereals, potatoes, rice, tapioca, palm; cellulose from wood; strands from sugarcane & wheat. These are used in manufacturing items from cups, bottles, and utensils to bags, beds, furniture, carpets, films, textiles, and packaging. Bio plastics are capable enough to carry out all the functions that plastics do today. Normal plastics are made from petroleum products.
Comparatively bio plastics decompose and combine with the soil quite fast. It is said that bio plastics are 30-80% free from carbon compared to normal plastics made from petroleum. Studies say that when we use bio plastics the shelf life of food items increases. There is a 20-30% increase in the usage of bioplastics every year. Statistics show that last year 0.2 million ton bioplastics was manufactured.
BioPlastic Application Areas
Advantages of Bioplastics
Bio plastics deserve utmost importance when compared to plastics which remain undestroyed for thousands of years in soil & water. Since these decompose & combine with the soil, the problems that occur due to plastic wastes will reduce up to a limit.
- Compared to normal plastics, the side effects bio plastics will have on the environment will much lesser.
- They can be manufactured from recyclable sources. As long as there is fuel shortage & rise in crude oil prices traditional energy sources are safe.
- These wastes can be disposed of naturally which will reduce the cost of disposal.
- Since bio plastic is manufactured out of agricultural products, this will strengthen the agricultural economy.
Effects Normal Plastic Wastes in Sea Life
Plastics from petroleum products are a huge threat for the life in seas. The plastics that do not decompose in the seas destroy the marine life. These plastics become a reason for the destruction of oysters & other species. Fishes & other animals in the sea make plastic their food. This leads to the death of those animals.
Most Demanded Bio-plastic products:
Biodegradable Bags, Biodegradable Bowls, Biodegradable Cups, Biodegradable Containers, Biodegradable Plates, Biodegradable Trays,Biodegradable Cutlery, Biodegradable Knives, Biodegradable Forks, Biodegradable Spoons, Biodegradable Sporks, ,Oxo-Biodegradable masterbatches,Bio-plastics additives
Biodegradable plastic bowl,Biodegradable Catering Serving Fork,Biodegradable Compostable Bagasse Plates,Biodegradable Forks, Biodegradable Heavy Duty Picnic Pack,Biodegradable Knives, Biodegradable Catering Salad Tongs,Biodegradable Catering Serving Fork,Biodegradable Catering Serving Spoon,Biodegradable Catering Small Tongs,Biodegradable Spoons
Biodegradable Cutlery,Biobased substitutes to traditional plastics, 100% Biodegradable,100% Compostable,100% Biodegradable Cardboard,Biodegradable shopping bag, Bio-degradable plastics,Biodegradable bags,Pulp environmental tableware,Molded Pulp,Molded Pulp Cup,Medical bio-plastic products,E-Bio Plastic Products,Plastic Food Biotechnology,Bio-plastic cell phone case,Bio-plastic cartridges,Bio-plastic toothpaste box,Bio-plastic comb,Bio-plastic toothbrush,Bio-plastic toothpick,Bioplastics Cup,Bio-plastic products and other products.
Disadvantages of Bioplastics
Like all good things, bioplastics also has its share of disadvantages.
- When there is high scale inflation in the food prices all over the world & if we make plastics out of these food products it will lead to an increase in the problem of shortage of food.
- When we use agricultural lands for manufacture of these plastics, the production of food items reduces.
- When we dispose the plastic & if decomposition takes place without oxygen, then it will result in the release of methane gas. Methane gas is a greenhouse gas which is 23 times stronger than carbon dioxide. This will result in the increase of global warming.
- There is also an existing conflict that bio plastics do not decompose completely in the natural way.
- Bio plastics made from cellulose require more trees. This will lead to the depletion & destruction of forests. Forest destruction will lead to soil erosion & reduction of water sources.
Statistics show that in 2007, 0.2 million ton bioplastics was manufactured. For this purpose it has been calculated that around 2, 50,000 to 3, 50,000 ton food products have been used.
Make Your Own Bioplastic
Read More on Bio Plastics
- Are We Saving Earth by Banning Plastic Bag?
Despite all the shoutout from many environmentalists to reduce plastic bags consumptions, are you seeing any different in common daily plastic use? how do this effect you? No? is it important? is it not...
- Green Technology
Green Technology News and Highlights.