- Education and Science»
- Life Sciences
Bioinformatics is a multidisciplinary science, which aims to use the benefits of computer technologies in understanding the biology of life.Discovery of new drugs and vaccines, molecular diagnostic kits are some of the areas in which bioinformatics has become an integral part of research and development.Genomics, Proteomics and Metabolomics are the branches of Bioinformatics.
Biological databases store data related to biology. It may be from literature, sequencing projects, structure determination etc.with biological knowledge, computer based databases have become essential for managing them. There are a number of databases among them Genbank, EMBL, DDBJ are the most popular for storing nucleotide sequences.SWISS PORT, PIR, Tr-EMBL store proteins sequences. PDB stores 3D structure of proteins. SRS, ENTREZ, DBGET are the most commonly used retrieval systems As the biological data is increasing rapidly day by day, it becomes essential to know to access this information.
Nucleotide Sequence Databases
- Gen Bank, the DNA databases from NCBI (National Centre for Biotechnology Information), incorporates sequences from publicly available sources.
- EBI(The European Bioinformatics Institute)
- EMBL(European Molecular Biology Laboratory Nucleotide Sequence Database)
- PIR (Protein Information Resource)
- SwissPort (Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics)
- PDB (Protein Data Bank)
Bioinformatics Notes Quizzes and Multiple Choice
- Basic Bioinformatics Notes
- Bioinformatics Quizzes
Quizzes on Introduction to Bioinformatics, Biological Databases
- Multiple Choice Questions on Bioinformatics- Biological databases
MCQ Biology - Learning Biology through MCQs Bioinformatics MCQs
More about Biological Databases..
GenBank is the NIH genetic sequence database, an annotated collection of all publicly available DNA sequences.GenBank is part of the International Nucleotide Sequence Database.
- The EMBL Nucleotide Sequence Database EBI
- DDBJ | DNA Data Bank of Japan
- Swiss-Prot group
- European Bioinformatics Institute EBI
- PIR [Protein Information Resource]
- RCSB PDB
The PDB archive contains information about experimentally-determined structures of proteins, nucleic acids, and complex assemblies.