CC Cycle 3 Week 6 Lesson for Abecedarian Tutors
This is the plan I used for a Classical Conversations Cycle 3 Week 6 abecedarian class. I have included all the subjects including new grammar, art, presentations, science, and review game. I also added my weekly parent email. This is not an official tutor plan. It's simply what I did. I'm sharing it so other tutors can use it as a springboard from which to plan your own lessons that are tailored to best meet the needs of your own class.
9:30 – 10:00 am
(Class set of trivium maps, dry erase markers, and small pieces of paper towels will already be at each seat.)
• Blob mapping:
-Have the children use their dry erase markers to trace around the border of America and then erase them.
-Have the children put the caps on their markers and lay them down.
• Point out the capitals & states on my map one by one. (I say, “Eyes and pointer fingers up” each time before I introduce the next location.) Each time have the children find the location on their maps using their fingers. They say the location, and I confirm, “Yes, that is…”. Repeat.
• Show me/Tell me the locations using a dry erase marker.
-Show me where Madison, WI is. Put a dot on it.
-Show me where Springfield, IL is. Put a dot on it.
-Show me where Des Moines, IA is. Put a dot on it.
-Tell me which state & capital this is. It’s Jeff… (Yes, it’s Jefferson City, MO.) Put a dot on it.
-Tell me which state & capital this is. It’s Litt… (Yes, it’s Little Rock, AR.) Put a dot on it.
-Put the caps back on the markers, but don’t erase anything yet!
• Go through the locations with me while erasing locations one by one. (Do them out of order.)
***Parent Helper: Collect markers and maps and return to tutor bag. Throw away paper towel pieces.
(*At home we’ll be learning the locations using the song & hand motions by CCHappyMom.)
• Flash the cards, while singing card titles 1-3, then 1-4 card titles, then 1-5 card titles, and 1-6 card titles.
• While singing and flipping through the final time (doing all 7 cards), pass one out to each child.
• Have them bring up their timeline card one by one and put it on the board as we sing the song together.
- Hear me sing and point to the 11s.
- Let each child erase a number line. Whisper the song and shout the missing number(s).
- Sing 12s while pointing to them on the board.
- Popcorn: We all sit on the floor in front of the board. Each child gets a turn circling one number on the board. After each turn, we sing the song and jump up and sit back down whenever we get to a circled number.
- I chant while children listen.
- Have children chant it with me 2 times.
- Basketball: Give each child a half sheet of paper & have them crumple up the paper as you chant. After we finish, have them try to throw the paper ball into the trash can. Repeat 3 more times.
(*At home we’ll be learning the science using the song & motions by Seth, posted below.)
- I chant while the children listen.
- Have the children chat with me.
- Speed up: Chant soooo sloooowly. Do it slowly. Do it fast. Do it super duper silly fast. Do it at a regular speed.
- Chant using a clap/slap rhythm while children listen. (Clap when saying the Latin word and then gently slap the table when saying the English word.)
- Chant together very slowly two times using the clap/slap rhythm. Have the girls do it. Have the boys do it. Have everyone do it again together two more times.
- (At home we’ll be adding the memory tricks from CCC user Jodiehagan.)
- I sing while children listen.
- Children sing it with me. We whisper-sing it together. Girls whisper-sing it. Boys whisper-sing it. We sing it loudly together. We sing it regularly together.
- Quickly review what we have learned in Fine Arts for the past 5 weeks. (I flipped through the pictures my son had drawn. If you've been keeping an art portfolio for each of the children rather than sending them home each week, you could have them go through them now.)
- Ask each child, "Which project was your favorite? Why?"
- Lead the students in completing the White House by following the directions from Inside the Lines, the video posted below.
• Have children collect presentation items from the basket/table.
• Remind that when someone else is talking, children should: Stop, Look, Listen.
• Remind about presentations: Today’s focus will be: Smile and make eye contact at least one time at the beginning of your presentation. What is today’s focus? [Remember to raise your hand to answer.]
• Each child gets 1 question token (a foam rectangle with their name written on it).
• Have children go in alphabetical order. (We rotate each week.)
• Next week’s skill to work on: Expression. Make your voice interesting by varying your tone and volume and using pauses to enhance your presentation.
• Return presentation items to backpacks.
Bathroom Break & Snack Time
Pray. Bathroom break. Get snacks from snack basket and have snack while listening to memory work CD.
- *Ahead of time watch a video of the science activity by CCLivermore Tutor (posted below) to prepare for Spinning (#79) and Change of Pattern (#80). How Do You Feel? (#78) isn't included in the video.
- Follow the script from CCC user nicoleliem for additional ideas.
Spinning #79 & Change of Pattern (#80)
11:30 am – 12 pm
- Geography Fast Review: Hand out maps to each child. Divide up children among you & the helping moms so that you are able to each check specific child and what they are pointing at. Call out the geography locations from weeks 1-6. Have children tell me or show me locations using their fingers.
- Snowball fight: Let one child pick a subject. Go through weeks 1-6 in that subject. (Each child gets to answer a different week.) Hand out crumpled up paper to the children & let them throw it at each other for 10 seconds. Set back down. Move on to the next subject. Repeat the snowball fight afterward. Continue until all the subjects have been covered. Afterward, have everyone race to get all the "snowballs" in the trash can.
- Note: I always give children the option of reciting by themselves, reciting with a prompt from me, reciting with help from the entire class, or reciting with just me.
Abecedarian Applause Week 6
(my weekly parent email)
Wow! I am so proud of all that we have accomplished during our first six weeks! Your children are impressive! I truly feel blessed to be a part of your lives and a part of this amazing community.
Hopefully you will get a chance to rest during our one week break. When we return, it will be time to break out those tin whistles! Be sure to pack them in your bags now so you don't forget.
Would you like a little bit extra? Each week my family enjoys reading books, doing activities, and watching YouTube video clips related to our new grammar. Memorizing the CC grammar is completely sufficient, but if you’d like to add a bit more, here is what my family has enjoyed reading, doing, & watching. We’ll be focusing on the geography, but I’m also including a link on the history (Louisiana Purchase) and science (digestive system) if you’d prefer to study that instead.
Geography Morning Basket Ideas:
Wisconsin Books and Videos: https://hubpages.com/education/wisconsin-lesson
Illinois Books and Videos: https://hubpages.com/education/learning-about-illinois
Iowa Books and Videos: https://hubpages.com/education/learning-about-iowa
Missouri Books and Videos: https://hubpages.com/education/missouri-lesson
Arkansas Books and Videos: https://hubpages.com/education/arkansas-lesson
Additional fun activities related to the states: https://hubpages.com/education/great-lakes-states
History Morning Basket Ideas:
Science Morning Basket Ideas:
Digestive System: https://hubpages.com/education/learning-about-the-digestive-system
This week I will be praying for each of your children. My prayer is that through our time at CC, they will develop a willingness and ability to work hard at all that they do “as working for the Lord, not for men.” (Colossians 3:23)
Looking for all my Cycle 3 Lessons?
- CC Cycle 3 Week 1
- CC Cycle 3 Week 2
- CC Cycle 3 Week 3
- CC Cycle 3 Week 4
- CC Cycle 3 Week 5
- CC Cycle 3 Week 6
- CC Cycle 3 Week 7
- CC Cycle 3 Week 8
- CC Cycle 3 Week 9
- CC Cycle 3 Week 10
- CC Cycle 3 Week 11
- CC Cycle 3 Week 12
- CC Cycle 3 Week 13
- CC Cycle 3 Week 14
- CC Cycle 3 Week 15
- CC Cycle 3 Week 16
- CC Cycle 3 Week 17
- CC Cycle 3 Week 18
- CC Cycle 3 Week 19
- CC Cycle 3 Week 20
- CC Cycle 3 Week 21
- CC Cycle 3 Week 22
- CC Cycle 3 Week 23
- CC Cycle 3 Week 24
© 2020 Shannon