ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel
  • »
  • Education and Science»
  • Medicine & Health Science

Can You Trust Your Doctor?

Updated on August 21, 2014

Doctors and all medical staff are suppose to be bounded by HIPAA regulations for privacy concerns, but there is always periodic lapses when loose lips break those regulations. What the doctor tells their patient has always been similar to God speaking, after all, your life may be in their hands. One expects the doctor to be a "know it all" and "never wrong",

However, a recent study of available data has scary results. Hospital staff frequently divulging patient data among themselves in casual settings inside and outside of the office. But worse, doctors in the USA has misdiagnosed a patient's illness 12 million times each year. While they are 95% correct most of the time, there is the other 5% when, for whatever reason, they go off course and get it wrong.

This happened to a 12-yr. old boy names Rory Stauton in 2012. His doctor misdiagnosed his condition in the ER. Plenty of blame could be shared because several other of the attending doctors also misdiagnosed by not paying close to attention to the symptoms. Over time, streptococcal bacteria infected the body that quickly led to septic shock. If you are a doctor, you are trying to diagnose 10,000 diseases presented in patients with a large array of symptoms. The study reveals that doctors do not listen to the patient very well, which is the best source of information. During the short visit, the doctor rushes through history and the exam, which lead to poor decisions. Another reason is doctors spend less time with patients than with the paperwork insurance requires to get reimbursed. Many times, the extra time required to correctly diagnose is not done because the insurance will not pay for it beyond the initial visit.

When a patient transfers from one doctor to another and requires diagnosis, obtaining the history is often very untimely. Many doctors will only transfer a patient if paid. When the patient has gone to several different doctors, the new doctor seldom has access to much of what the other doctor's diagnosed and electronic records are still woefully behind many offices because of cost and training.

The report suggests that a patient keep the details of their visits, what the doctor diagnosed, and any new symptoms to convey. Doctors cannot read your mind and if you are intimidated by the doctor, you need not to because it may be information they need.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • perrya profile image

      perrya 3 years ago

      Yes, at kaiser, doctors may actually respond or at least the RN does

    • tirelesstraveler profile image

      Judy Specht 3 years ago from California

      Email is the best thing that ever happened to patient doctor relationships. Most doctors can read even if they can't listen.

    • profile image

      Kyle 3 years ago

      I thought I could trust my doctor until my last prostate exam. I realized after about 10 minutes he had both hands on my shoulders.