- Education and Science»
- Medicine & Health Science
Chiropractic Services- Why You Shouldn't Be So Skeptical
Chiropractic Techniques are Based on Scientifically Confirmed Facts
Do you suffer from back pain?
Chiropractic isn't Something You Believe In or Don't Believe In
Whether or not you agree with the work of chiropractors doesn't change the fact that modern day chiropractic services are in fact based off science.
They aren't some witch doctor technique you either believe in, or don't believe in; chiropractic results are produced by adhering to scientifically confirmed facts.
Chiropractic care is a form of alternative medicine used to treat a number of illnesses and conditions. Doctors of chiropractic help their patients heal from illnesses and injury by using spinal manipulation techniques.
Chiropractors take a natural, yet nontraditional approach to medicine - relying on physical therapy, nutrition, exercise and spinal manipulation to treat and heal various physical conditions.
Chiropractic medicine revolves around the spine, and how the spine is connected to the entire body. Your nervous system runs from your brain down your spine.
Through regular chiropractic care, you can heal your body, relieve your pain, lower your stress levels and improve your health overall.
No matter what disease or condition you have, you can benefit from a healthy spine.
Massage is Often Used in Conjunction with Chiropractic Care to Help with Pain in the Body
The Real Truth Behind Chiropractic Services
- At least 10 percent of the population of the United States rely on chiropractic care as part of their healthy regimen
- Chiropractic medicine is not only the largest, complementary and alternative (CAM) professions, it is also the most regulated, and best recognized as well
- Doctors of Chiropractic must go through a minimum of four years of graduate studies to practice
- Doctors of Chiropractic provide care in hospitals and other multidisciplinary health care facilities
- The typical Chiropractor has gone through four years of pre-med undergraduate education, including courses in biology, inorganic and organic chemistry, physics, psychiatry and more; to become Doctor of Chiropractic one must then go through an even more rigorous curriculum in chiropractic school where he studies anatomy, physiology and physical rehabilitation
Your Spine's Health Effects the Health of Your Total Body
How Chiropractors Heal
It was Thomas Edison who said that "the doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease."
That sums up current chiropractic medicine to a tee.
Few other medical fields concentrate on treating the person and the core of the problem the way that chiropractors treat patients. How often have you gone to the doctor, felt like you weren't heard, and had a prescription thrown in your face just to get you out the door?
The chiropractic spinal adjustment relieves the vertebral sublixation complex that interferes with your nervous system.
This can corrected distorted posture, sublexed joints, and reduce pain in those suffering from chronic neck and pack pain.
Your spine health plays a role in the function of all your important internal organs. Ensuring that your spine is healthy well prevent you from sublexation which can cause a litany of medical problems.
Issues in Your Spine Can Cause Sinus Problems, Migraines, Digestion, Ulcers and Even Attention Deficit Disorder
Quick Facts About Chiropractic and Back Pain
- Low back pain is the fifth most common cause of all physician visits throughout the United States
- Chiropractors most commonly deal with sublexation of the vertebrae; a condition that can affect your back, your joints, your glands, your muscles and even your organs
- Repetitive motion, stress, improper lifting and poor posture can all cause sublexation in the spine
- Back pain is the most common cause of physical limitation in people under 45 years of age in the United States
- American's spend over $50 billion annually on back pain treatments; that figure doesn't include chiropractic care
- There is substantial evidence supporting the safety and effectiveness of chiropractic services
The Effect of Stress on the Body
We all feel stress from time to time. Not everyone realizes how much stress impacts our body. If you suffer from headaches, blood pressure issues, chest pain, arthritis, or back pain - it could be caused from stress. The wear and tear of daily stress can cause:
- Fatigue and/or poor sleep
- Weight gain
- Achy joints
- Blood pressure issues
- Alzheimer's disease
- Premature death
Stress isn't just a feeling, it is a condition. Stress causes you to breathe faster, it accelerates your heart rate, and it increases your cortisol levels. These all impact your health in a negative way and can cause a number of illnesses.
Doctors of chiropractic deal with many issues caused by stress. When you feel stressed, your entire body tenses up - your muscles become stiff and the soft tissue in your back weakens. Chiropractors can reverse the negative side effects of stress by using spinal manipulation to decompress your vertebrae - reducing pain and improving blood flow.
Chiropractic Care is the Third Largest Doctoral-Level Health Care Profession
The Chiropractic Importance of Your SEMG Exam
Any chiropractor worth seeing will perform an SEMG (surface electrography) exam during your first visit. This non-invasive exam is not painful at all and takes only a few minutes. The SEMG machine is a small scale with small probes that measure the tenseness of muscles. It can detect any abnormalities in the nerves or muscles.
By using SEMG exams, chiropractors can identify nerve interference caused by sublaxation which can create an imbalance in the blood flow between the left and right sides of the spine.
SEMG scanning provides qualitative and quantitative data to assist in diagnosing which area of the nervous system are being adversely affected.
There are over 100 adjustment techniques used by doctors chiropractic, however some more widely practiced than others.
The diversified technique is the most common chiropractic technique because it deals with sublexation, themost common issue chiropractors find in their patients.
A sublexation is a condition in which a vertebrae in your spine has become misaligned. This can cause nerve interference and complications in the body.
Neuromuscular therapy is a chiropractic technique that deals with the soft tissue. This therapy utilizes manual pressure to help the soft tissue in the spine and neck loosen.
This chiropractic technique can help people with back and neck pain, as well as joint issues.
Applied kinesiology is practiced by some doctors of chiropractic. This method relies on testing the weakness in certain muscles in order to diagnosis illness.
Applied kinesiology is not only used to diagnose, but also used to treat by observing the movement of the muscles.
The cox/flexion distraction techniqueis used to deal with issues rooted in the spine's soft tissue through the application of soft pressure to the injured or aching area.
This treatment works to decompress, or elongate the spine. Using these techniques chiropractors reduce stress on the soft tissue between the vertebrae and help return motion to the spinal joints.
The Facts Speak for Themselves- Chiropractic Works
Scientific studies that have been done by medical physicians comparing chiropractic care with medical care and physical therapy non-surgical care of the back and neck show that doctors of chiropractic services relieve chronic and severe pain.
There are now in excess of 60 scientific studies which demonstrate the value of manipulation; spinal manipulation is the most effective and cost-efficient forms of treatment for dysfunctional problems of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spines.
Only a Doctor of Chiropractic can diagnose and treat subluxations. These licensed chiropractors are specialists with a higher level of education and training than a typical medical doctor.
To become a Doctor of Chiropractic, four years of graduate studies in pre-med must be completed after successfully completing undergraduate work. This is the minimum amount of education required for a doctor to practice chiropractic services legally.
Many chiropractors opt to go through even more schooling to learn new and evolving techniques pertaining to spinal manipulation.
Your spine consists of 33 bones which are called vertebra. These vertebra stack on top of one another to create a protective mobile housing for the spinal cord.
Holes exist within the spinal canal for nerves to exit allowing for information to be supplied to surrounding muscle tissue, tendons and organs.
The Key to Your Ability to Heal
The Chiropractic Approach
Chiropractors have helped millions with low back problems, often saving them from pain, disability, drugs, and surgery. The purpose of a chiropractor is to make sure your spine and its nerves, discs and muscles healthier, stronger and more stable by correcting your vertebral subluxations.
In 1994, the federal government sent shockwaves throughout the medical community when they made a definitive public pronouncement that chiropractic medicine was one of the most preferred and most effective methods of caring for acute lower back pain.
Chiropractic doesn't add anything, nor does chiropractic take anything away. It honors the wisdom of your body and your inborn potential to be healthy.
It is the difference that has helped millions and produced high levels of patient satisfaction. Ask questions, discover the truth about today's chiropractic care.
Have you ever been to a chiropractor? Leave your opinions on chiropractors in the comment section!
Advice for Finding the Right Chiropractor
- Always check references
- Only choose a chiropractic center that is certified and licensed
- Choose a chiropractor who makes you comfortable
- Do your research; the internet is a valuable place to look for information on any chiropractor you are considering
- Always trust your gut; if something feels wrong, it probably is wrong
- Chiropractic exams, which should happen on your first visit, should be painless; if your exam is painful, this is a red flag
- If your symptoms are worsening after several treatments, you should change chiropractors or at the least go get a second opinion
© 2014 Kathleen Odenthal