Conversation Topics for ESL Students
These speaking activities are suitable for intermediate and advanced levels.
Time - 30 minutes
You could print out this ESL conversation topic's sheet, put the students into pairs and have them ask each other questions. Alternatively, you could do it as a whole class activity.
ESL Conversation Topics
- Have you ever been in a fight? What happened?
- Are you afraid of anything? What?
- Name one thing you could not live without and explain why?
- Do you think beggars have genuine problems or are they just lazy?
- Have you ever got a fine from the police?
- If you found €50 on the ground, what would you do?
- If you could be more beautiful, more intelligent, funnier or more musical, what would you choose? Why?
- Do you think some dolls or clowns are creepy looking?
- Can you cook? What can you cook?
- What calms you down when you are feeling anxious?
- Do you trust politicians?
- If your country was invaded tomorrow, would you join the army to protect it?
- What housework do you hate doing the most? Why?
- Do you think that robots could one day start thinking for themselves?
- Do you believe in aliens? Why / why not?
- Do you have a good/bad memory?
- What do you think is the most exciting job in the world?
- What do you think is the worst job in the world?
- What is your earliest memory?
- Do you have any regrets?
- Have you ever borrowed money or something from a friend and not returned it?
- What do you hate doing? Why?
- What’s your favourite way to relax?
- What are your worst characteristics?
- What are your best characteristics?
- If you didn’t like something about your body and money wasn’t an issue, would you get surgery done?
- What would be the worst sense to lose – sight, speech or hearing?
- Have you ever cried during a movie? What movie was it?
- Where would you like to go for your next holiday? Why?
- Are you an introvert or an extrovert at a party?
- Do you like meeting new people?
- Would you go on a blind date?
- Have you ever been to hospital? What happened?
- Which are better – dogs or cats?
- What animal do you like the most/ the least?
- If you were stuck on a deserted island with only animals or an island with only fruits/vegetables, which would you choose?
- How well do you think you would survive living in the wild?
- Do you think zoos are cruel?
- What is your favourite T.V. show right now?
- Have you ever lied to a close friend or family member?
- Have you ever been jealous of somebody? Why?
- What do you think about online dating?
- Have you ever been scammed online?
- If you went for a job interview you really wanted but your friend got it instead, how would you feel?
- Where would you like to go this weekend?
- What areas in your life would you like to improve?
- Where were you when the Twin Towers came down?
- If the world was going to end in 5 days time, what would you do?
- Name a country you would not like to move to and explain why?
- If you could ban something (customs, religious practices, laws, things...etc.) from your country what would it be?
- What do you think is better - your parents choosing your future husband/wife or you choosing? Explain your choice.
- If you could go out and buy anything you wanted tomorrow, what would it be?
- Do you have children? Do you want children?
- What is the perfect family size in your opinion?
- What movie did you see recently that made a big impression on you? Explain why.
- What kind of books do you like to read?
- Which would you prefer – reading a book or watching a movie?
- Do you think most people make judgements on appearance? Have you ever been judged wrongly by the way you look?
- Do you like reality T.V. shows?
- Do you think torture is justified in extreme situations?
- Which do you prefer - the city or the countryside? Why?
- Do you like your boss/teacher?
- If you don’t agree with somebody, do you just ignore their opinion or do you say something?
- Do you know any overbearing, pushy people? If so how do you react to them?
- Are you bossy?
- What is the best day of the week for you?
- Are you a morning person or a night person?
- Are you a tea person or a coffee person?
- Do you think you are adventurous?
- Would you try some extreme sports such as parachuting or bungee jumping?
- Do you play computer games? If so, which ones?
- Do you think children these days spend too much time playing computer games?
- Are you worried about what your children get up to online?
- How can the internet be improved?
- Do you think your English classroom should focus more on technology?
- Have you ever built something? What was it?
- What is your greatest achievement?
- What are you going to do after class?
ESL Speaking Activities
Other Teaching Resources
© 2013 Muttface