- Education and Science»
- Law & Legal Issues
Crazy Alaska Laws
Every state has their own crazy laws. This is a small list of the ones I found for Alaska. I hope you have as much fun reading about them as I had writing about them.
There are hundreds of people every year moving to Alaska. It is a cold, beautiful, actually breathtaking state. The freedom that is given to you to live your life as you choose, be that off the grid or in the middle of the city is very alluring.
The laws that are mentioned may or may not be still on the books and enforced. They are quite entertaining.
Crazy Alaska Laws
- Drunk people are not allowed to come in a bar.
- It is illegal to throw a grenade on the street.
- No one may tie their pet to the roof of a car.
Actually this law was written to protect animals riding in the bed of a truck. Accoring to the law the pet needs to be in a secured cage in the manner that the animal will not be thrown from tne vehicle, fall out of it, or be able to jump from the vehicle.
- A moose may not be viewed from an airplane.
- It is illegal to whisper in someone's ear while they are moose hunting.
- Dog grooming is illegal.
- I believe this was made to keep owners from shaving their dogs fur off in the winter.
- A person may only carry a concealed slingshot if that person has received the appropriate license.
This law is related to the concealed weapon law. It is unlawful to carry anything hidden away on your person that you can and will use to maim or kill another person.
- It is considered offensive to push a live moose out of a moving airplane.
- While it is legal to shoot a bear, waking a sleeping bear for the purpose of taking a photograph is prohibited.
- In Juneau, Alaska owners of flamingoes may not let their pet into barber shops.
- Owners may not let any pet into barbershop, hairdressin shops, or any place that may contain food for human comsumption.
Alaska Fun Facts
- Alaska officially became the property of the United States on October 18, 1867. Many Americans considered this purchase foolish and it became known as "Seward's Folly."
- The state sport of Alaska is Dog Mushing.
- There is no sales tax in Anchorage.
- Alaska has areas that get 24 hours of daylight or nighttime for a period of time.
- Over one half the world's active glaciers are found in Alaska.
- The name 'Alaska' is came for the Russian colonial ( Aleut) language and means 'the mainland towards which the action of the sea is directed'.
- Alaska is responsible for an average of 25% of all oil produced in the U.S.
- Alaska carries the world record for the highest concentration of bears. It is home to over 100,000 Grizzly, Black, and Polar bears.
- Alaska is the only state to have coastlines on three different seas... Arctic Ocean, Pacific Ocean and the Bering Sea
- Alaska is as big as England, France, Italy and Spain combined. Now that's big.
- Alaska is the largest state in the union. It encompases 1/5 of the land in the U.S. That makes it twice as big as the state of Texas.
- The territorial waters of Alaska merge with that of Russia at the Bering Strait. The three mile distance separating the two territories makes them close neighbors.
- The Official Home of Santa Claus is North Pole, Alaska.
- The Best Places for Northern Lights Holidays in Euro...
All of The Best Places for Northern Lights Holidays in Detail. Europe, Alaska, Canada, Greenland, Iceland. Where & When to Go
- Best Road Trip: Alaska On The Alaska Highway
In 2007 I had the chance to take a road trip, and on a whim I decided it would be fun to drive to Alaska along the Alaska Highway! It wasn't part of the original plan, and it ended up costing a fortune. I had no idea that traveling through Canada wou
- 10 Great Things About Alaska Living
Some of my favorite hubs have come from Ryan's questions or requests - and here's another one that feels like home. Having once lived in Alaska for three years, in addition to going back for a month or more at a time whenever possible, this is a...
- Alaska for Travelers & Teachers
Are you looking for fun worksheets, books, video clips, and activity ideas for teaching and/or learning about Alaska? Included are links to wonderful worksheets, book suggestions for children, YouTube videos, DVD and CD recommendations, and more -- a
- Top 10 Best Hot Jobs in Alaska to 2022 - Jobs Quadru...
The Aurora Borealis is beautiful over Alaska. Healthcare, IT, and Hospitality careers lead the way in our far-northern state.