Crazy Facts About Human Body
1. An average human brain has about 100 billion nerve cells.
2. If the cerebrum of the brain of a person is spread on the ground, it will cover an area of 2200 square cm.
3. The only joint less bone in our body is the hyoid bone present in the throat.
4. It’s impossible to sneeze without closing eyes.
5. It requires the interaction of 72 different muscles to produce human speech.
6. The average life span of taste bud is 10 days.
7. Cough from our mouth comes out with a speed of 60 miles (96.5 km) per hour.
8. When you sneeze, all the bodily functions stop even the heart.
9. The strongest muscle of the body is the tongue.
10. The thigh muscles are stronger than concrete.
11. Babies are born without knee caps. They develop at the age of 2-6 years.
12. The human brain is about 1400-1500 gm (1.5 kg) by weight but only 0.18 kg of the brain is felt because of the presence of cerebrospinal fluid which provides the buoyancy.
13. Our eyes remain of the same size from birth to death but our nose and ears never stops growing.
14. The length of finger dictates how fast the nail grows. Therefore, middle finger grows faster than other finger’s nails.
15. Hair and nails are made up of same substance (i.e. keratin)
16. The surface area of an average human intestine is about 200 sq m.
17. About 15 millions blood cells are destroyed in the human body every second.
18. The digestive acids are strong enough to dissolve zinc. Therefore, the stomach linings are renewed very quickly (in about 3-4 days).
19. The largest organ is the skin (1.9 sq m).
20. When you sleep you grow by 8 mm. The next day you shrink back to the normal height because the cartilages are squeezed like a sponge by the force of gravity when you stand or sit.
21. In half an hour an average human body gives off enough heat to boil about half gallon of water.
22. The process of formation of egg (process called oogenesis) in human females starts during the foetal development, that is, in mother’s womb (the process stops when the female baby is born till puberty) and produces a couple of million eggs. However, only 60,000-80,000 eggs are left when the female reaches puberty, rest degenerates.
23. It is possible for you to survive even after the removal of the spleen, the stomach, one kidney, one lung, 75% of the liver, 80% of the intestines, and almost every organ from the pelvic and groin area.
24. A strong contraction of your heart can produce enough pressure to squirt blood up to 30 feet.
25. The newly born babies have 300 bones which later on fuse and form 206 bones.
26. Our hairs are almost indestructible. That is the reason that we can find hair on the mummy’s head.
27. We can survive without food but cannot without sleeping. The maximum days a person can survive without sleep is 11 days.
28. According to researches, heart attack occurs mostly on Monday.
29. The average person eats 50 tonnes of food and drinks 50,000 liters (11,000 gallons) of liquid during his life.
30. Just like fingerprints, every person has a unique tongue print.
31. Humans shed about 600,000 particles of skin every hour. That works out to about 1.5 pounds each year, so the average person will lose around 105 pounds of skin by age 70.
32. Your nose is not as sensitive as a dog's, but it can remember 50,000 different scents.
33. Every square inch of skin on the human body has about 32 million bacteria on it, but fortunately, the vast majority of them are harmless.
34. The source of smelly feet, like smelly armpits, is sweat. And people sweat buckets from their feet. A pair of feet have 500,000 sweat glands and can produce more than a pint of sweat a day.
35. Sweat glands are called sudorific glands. Mammary gland that produces milk to nourish young ones in females are the modification of the sweat gland.
36. Laid end to end, there are about 60,000 miles of blood vessels in the human body. And the hard-working heart pumps about 2,000 gallons of blood through those vessels every day.
37. In a lifetime, the average person produces about 25,000 quarts of saliva -- enough to fill two swimming pools!
38. By 60 years of age, 60-percent of men and 40-percent of women will snore. But the sound of a snore can seem deafening. While snores average around 60 decibels, the noise level of normal speech, they can reach more than 80 decibels. Eighty decibels is as loud as the sound of a pneumatic drill breaking up concrete. Noise levels over 85 decibels are considered hazardous to the human ear.
39. Hair color helps determine how dense the hair on your head is, and blondes (only natural ones, of course), top the list. The average human head has 100,000 hair follicles, each of which is capable of producing 20 individual hairs during a person's lifetime. Blondes average 146,000 follicles. People with black hair tend to have about 110,000 follicles, while those with brown hair are right on target with 100,000 follicles. Redheads have the least dense hair, averaging about 86,000 follicles.
40. The entire length of all the eyelashes shed by a human in their life is over 98 feet (30 m).
41. Teeth are the modification of hair.