- Education and Science»
- Law & Legal Issues
Open Letter to Jose Baez - Defense Attorney for Casey Anthony
This letter was written during the Casey Anthony trial...
Dear Mr Baez,
I understand you have a job to do. You've been hired by Casey Anthony as her defense attorney. You will receive compensation by the Orange County taxpayers to perform your duties as a public defender. We are now into the second week of the trial.
My question to you is, when will you actually start doing your job. The majority of the accusations you have made against the state's witnesses are blatant lies and fabrications. Your repetition of questions aimed at the witnesses are out of control.
I am not a legal advisor. I did not go to law school, but I am a John Grisham fan. Most importantly is that I am a person with common sense. My common sense is telling me that something is very wrong with your tactics.
I am a firm believer that when anyone hires a professional to perform a job for them, they deserve the best. Granted you are defending a person who is guilty as sin which makes your task more difficult, but even Casey Anthony deserves a better defense than what you are offering.
I'd like to offer some tips. I hope you take my tips into consideration, if not for this trial, but just in case you EVER get hired again by another criminal.
Future reference guide for Jose Baez
1. Do not shuffle your papers while standing at the podium. We were all taught by the age of ten to always be prepared. As a "professional" you should enter the courtroom with all files needed for the day. I advise you to stop wasting the courts time with your trivial requests for a break to hunt a file down.
2. Do not ask a grieving grandmother if she THINKS her obviously deceased granddaughter might still be alive. I highly doubt that even a seasoned professional could ask something so mean and callous. Did you leave your heart at home? Surely you must feel something for the distraught family. Again I understand you are doing your job, but there is a line to be drawn.
3. Never, ever interrupt the judge while he's speaking to you. That's disrespectful and personally I think you should be in contempt of court and should be been fined. Judge Perry is obviously a man of patience.
4. Do not accuse the grieving grandfather of sexual abuse just because your client has no chance in hell of winning this case. That's just ludicrous. I'd like to know the brainchild behind that accusation just so I could slap them upside the head.
5. Do NOT use the theory that Caylee drowned due to statistics of Florida drownings among children. Yes, unfortunately the state of Florida has a high statistic rate for drowning, but to attempt to get away with that theory will not work. Evidence proves against it. Nice try though.
6. Speak into the microphone, do not mumble, that's annoying. Again we were taught at an early age to speak clearly and to have your voice heard. Mumbling and stumbling are not allowed, keep in mind millions of people are watching this trial. Speak coherently and try your best to finish a sentence without talking in circles. Haven't we been tortured enough these past few years listening to Sarah Palin.
7. Enough of the cocky smirks. You might be thinking you are all that, but in actuality after this case is over chances are you are cooked. You might be the most talked about public defender at the moment, but if you REALLY think about it....are those conversations a positive thing? I think not.
8. Fact: Casey Anthony hired you via a reference while she was in lock-up....need I say more? Your prior clients weren't exactly part of an elite crowd, but this case isn't about them.
9. Do not repeatedly ask the same question from a witness, hoping for the answer you want. They answered correctly the first time, it's highly doubtful their answer will change. There is no need to be hostile and rude to the witnesses. Think Karma!
10. Please stop telling your client to sob on cue. It's obvious to all viewers what's going on. You two are actually a perfect match. You think this is all about you. Your client thinks this is all about her. You are both sadly mistaken. This is all about Caylee.
11. An insanity plea is not going to work, your client is a liar not insane. A mistrial is not going to happen due to remorse. Move on....do your job.
12. You've been litigating this trial for the past three years....seriously?? This is the best you came up with after three years. It might be time to consider a new line of work. Just sayin'.
13. Rumor is Casey paid her legal fees with sexual favors. Well, those favors won't pay your bills, but to each his own.
This trial is a circus and you just keep throwing peanuts at the jury. The jurors are doing their civic duties and deserve a medal for that. They have families, friends, they have a life they'd like to get back to. STOP the procrastinating and let's get Justice For Caylee done. I have a feeling deep down in your heart you want the same as we all do.
Let's get 'er done!
Casey Anthony trial updates
Update: Here we are on Day 24 of the trial and what have you accomplished so far? By now even you know that George and Lee didn't sexual abuse Casey. You also know Caylee didn't drown.
FYI: Duct tape placed over the nose and mouth DOES NOT qualify as accidental death. You basically took your opening defense statement and flushed it down the toilet, right? You need to think before you speak....omitting the vital word "thoughts" before suicide was extremely important when you were interviewing Yuri.
You should now realize that Judge Perry is a man with an abundance amount of patience. You are both doing your job....one better than the other but I'm thinking you might want to wear a shirt saying "overruled" to court each day. There is a rumor on some blogs stating you are playing the jury and playing dumb in order for Casey to get a faster appeal....we're onto you and I'm sure the jury is also. We can't give you that much credit....maybe Casey, not you.
You are a very popular man at the moment....make yourself shine by doing the right thing not by saying the wrong thing. Good luck!
Update 6.15 ... Acquittal has been denied. Bring it on JB!
Update 6.21 ... Besides being held in contempt, annoying Judge Perry and arguing with Jeff Ashton your defense case is going nowhere. Absolutely nowhere. We've learned nothing new. I think you can do better. By the way what type of medication is your client on? She's on something.......it's obvious to all.
Update 6.24 ... Impressing me....NO! Boring me...YES! Cindy perjuring herself to save her daughter? That was WRONG of her and even the jurors could not possibly believe that performance. No reasonable doubt for me.
Update 6.29 ... Regarding questioning of George Anthony: In my opinion Mr Baez YOU are throwing in the towel and allowing George to tell the jury all the naughty little tidbits about Casey. You are not impressing anyone not even the jurors. George blatantly stated that Casey was guilty and YOU didn't object or sustain or strike. Way to go JB! I knew you would come around and join the rest of us.
Update 6.30 ... The Defense rests its case. Good luck JB!
Update 7.3 Hey Jose, your closing statements are "NOT WORKING!" A smell chart? Seriously? I expected a bit better from you. Kinda.
Update 7.5 "NO WAY JOSE....You didn't WIN!" The jurors found your client Not Guilty, but she's not innocent either! Think KARMA. How you can possibly say that you will go home tonight and tell your daughter that you saved a life? What about Caylee? Do you even care about Justice For Caylee? NO!
FYI: Your nickname BOZO stands, you were a clown in the Circus Of The Decade!
I would like to question the dog, but I can't. A dog should not be testifying in a trial.
It's your 15 minutes so play nice!
This comment tells us how many of us are affected by this trial....
Well I am sitting in downtown Port Au Prince, Haiti tonight and after a hellish day of assessing Monday's storm damage (that killed 20) and I decided to catch up on poor KC's little ol' murder trial. I cannot get the live stream here -- although I do get the audio sometimes.
I must say that your open letter to Jose was the one thing that gave me some light, some hope that common sense really does still exist. I only began following the case when it was clear it was going to trial .... I've been in Haiti since the earthquake so I was a little busy.
I think your advice/suggestions to Jose are quite eloquent.. not to mention the funniest I've ever read!! I too am not a lawyer and my dog Sam isn't a lawyer either but I bet we could have come up with a better routine than this one. I almost could feel sorry for KC and the UNSUNSHINE band (Jose as lead legal singer)... and then I remember the lies, the duct tape on Caylee's skull.... I don't feel sorry and even so, she is innocent until proven guilty and absolutely deserves a competent defense, which she is not getting from Jose.
So, with that I will sign off tonight.. feeling happy that the last thing my eyes saw was your advice to Jose and not the other things they had to see today!
Thank you Stefanie for your personal message to me and your permission to share it within my article. Bless you and be safe!
Various comments from the Orlando Sentinel...
As a former schoolteacher for one year, I drew charts like Jose Baez - and the students didn't understand them either.
Based on the number of his objections that have been overruled, Casey Anthony's attorney is earning the nickname "No Way, Jose."
I have never seen a judge allow a defense team to comfort a client to the extent that Judge Perry is allowing in the Casey Anthony trial. A court of law is supposed to be about the evidence and testimony. I don't think it has a place in a fair trial and in a court of law.
Props to Casey Anthony for staying out of the public eye after being acquitted, unlike fellow Orlandian, George Zimmerman. Shaking my head at the dude. He must like getting sucker punched.
For more on the Casey Anthony trial...
© 2011 Linda Bilyeu