- Education and Science»
Dreamers vs Realists
Why do some people see themselves as more of a realist person, or why do some people see themselves more as a dreamer? Are dreamers better than realists? Or are realists better than dreamers? From my personal life experience, there were times in my life where I started to see myself more as a realist and then more as a dreamer. I think there is no right or wrong in how people choose to be or perceive things as a realist or a dreamer but there are also significant differences in both. However, either being a dreamer or a realist can play a big role in how you perceive the world and how you choose to pursue things in your life.
- They tend to see world as it is, basing things on facts, figures, realistic expectations and reasons
- Have their own views and opinions on matters and are not easily influenced by misconceptions, trickery, beliefs or even religion.
- Can be impulsive and stubborn to the opinion or criticism of others.
- Tend to have a laid-out plan in life to achieve the 'next step' in what they perceive as life. (eg: graduate, get a job, save money for a car and house, have a family, grow old, die).
- They may not consider different possibilities where life can lead them to new or exciting experiences, which is mainly due to the conviction they have to their laid-out plan of what they perceive as 'real life'.
- They tend to be the 'big-thinkers' and creative minded people.
- Have a vision or dream of what they want to achieve in life which can bring a sense of fulfillment and joy to them.
- They are more open to opinions or criticism of others but are strongly committed to their vision.
- They never give up on what they want to achieve by being persistent and will never let fear or doubt consume them.
- Finds inspiration, passion and life purpose from within.
- They tend to be seen by some as just living in their own 'fantasies' and may have others who don't understand what or why they are doing what they do.
- Tend to dislike settling for a normal life as other normal people tend to do.
- Have a different plan or path in life from others in order to follow their vision or dreams.
So as we can see, there are significant differences in both. However, I strongly believe that dreamers tend to live and strive towards a more fulfilling life than what most people think. Some people may say "Quit dreaming, and just get a normal real job and work hard for your money". Its not that we don't have to work hard, pursuing your dreams is without a doubt hard work. However, if all the famous leaders or entrepreneurs we have come to known today had listened to what most people would tell them about how they perceive what life is to them, they wouldn't be where they were today. Some examples of these people are Nelson Mandela, Gandhi, Richard Branson, Steve Jobs, all great leaders and innovators we have come to known. All of them were so committed to their dream or vision in making a change or helping others in the world, despite all the naysayers and criticisms from others. It's not that being a realist is a bad thing, having realism is good in understand the fundamentals and how things will work out. On the other hand, being a dreamer can help get you through situations by making the right choices and decisions in life as your vision/dream will pull you there.
There is quote from the Modern Family TV show which goes, "There are dreamers and there are realists in this world, you think the dreamers would find the dreamers and the realists would find the realists, but more often than not the opposite is true. See the dreamers need the realists to keep the dreamers from soaring too close to the sun. And the realists? Well without the dreamers, they might not ever get off the ground”