Dual Citizenships For Indonesian
Supporting The Effort On The New Changements On The Permitting Dual Citizenship
A country that permit dual citizenship, have relatively flexible nationality laws and provide their citizens with distinct privileges and rights, such as;
- provides a wealth of benefits.
- citizenship for life.
- visa free travel.
- entitles to certain rights, such as Australian or Canadian citizen is as well a Commonwealth citizen that entitles him or her to certain rights in the United Kingdom.
- reuniting families, some countries you may sponsor your parents, spouse and minor children to come and live with you as permanent resident. As well sponsor other relatives to come and visit you.
- obtaining citizenship for children born abroad.
- no time restricted on the time you can spend outside your country.
You should be able to have the dual nationalities by:
- descent, because your parents are citizens of another country
- marriage to citizens of another country
- granting of citizenship
- state succession, which can occour when sovereignty over a state change, for example Timor Leste or East Timor on May 20, 2002 became the first new soverign state.
Indonesia is a country with more than 17.500 islands spread over 5472 KM or 3400 miles along the equator. It has approxumately 246.000.000 people and more than 300 etnic groups.
Indonesia is the only country in Asia who does not recognize dual citizenship.
A lot of people Indonesian native born living abroad and hold that country citizenship, is not allowed to obtain Indonesian citizenship.
Any other countries in the world have policy that if you were born from a parent from that country, you are automatically entitled to your parent citizenship. In Indonesia children of mix marriage allow to have both parents citizenship up to they are 18 year old, then must choose one between the two. Why this children can not have their both citizenship for life?
Dual citizenship in the new law as it would be indeed will bring substantial benefit for the country in terms of better quality human resources as overseas-educated children of mix parents could come to Indonesia without the legal barrier of their citizenship after they finished their fully education, that means when they are above 18 year old.
People of mix parents in Indonesia should be entitled to the right to vote and also be exempted from the requirement to process stay or work permit in Indonesia.
Most of all when there is the dual citizenship allowed in Indonesia, means erasing as much as possible all discriminatory items in the existing law, especially those regarding women and children and whole family member in general.
- Jokowi urged to change dual citizenship laws
Indonesian Australians are calling on President Joko Widodo to liberalise dual citizenship laws.