- Education and Science»
- History & Archaeology»
- History of the Modern Era»
- Twentieth Century History
Edinburgh Top Attractions and it's Creepy side
Discover the creepy side of Edinburgh, Scotland. This city is full of ghost stories and spooky legends.
Edinburgh is said to be one of the most haunted places in Europe.
The historic heart of Edinburgh and home to many of the city’s most popular tourist attractions, the atmospheric Old Town became a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1995. Watched over by the striking Edinburgh Castle, the Old Town is most famous for the central boulevard which runs between the hilltop castle and the Royal Palace of Holyrood, four sequential streets known as the Royal Mile.
One day in Edinburgh will never do the city justice, but it's time enough to get a good feel for its attractive city centre. This divides into the Old Town – which lies densely packed on a hill around Edinburgh's landmark castle – and the Georgian-era New Town below. A long park separates the two.
Mary King's Close
Mary King's Close is an old Edinburgh close under buildings in the Old Town area of Edinburgh. It took its name from one Mary King, daughter of Alexander King, who in the 17th century had owned several properties within the close. The close was partially buried, and the complex became shrouded in myths of plague victims being walled up and left to die. Archaeological evidence shows that it was originally narrow streets with tenement houses on either side, stretching up to seven stories high.
The best known ghost in the close is Annie, a spectral pre-teen. Most researchers believe that Annie had been left to die by her family when she caught the plague and they abandoned the building. The room is now known as “Annie’s room”, and gifts for the little girl are left there by many tourists.
Beneath the City Chambers on the Royal Mile lies Edinburgh's deepest secret - a warren of hidden streets where real people lived, worked and died between the 17th and the 19th centuries.
Gilmerton Cove is a series of chambers and passageways lying hidden beneath the streets on the South side of Edinburgh, Scotland.
Did the Covenanters hide here? Is it the secret hiding place of the Holy Grail?
The caves have been inhabited for at least 300 years & various theories exist about what they were used for, among them that they may have been a meeting place for the Covenanters, who were persecuted in the 17th century for opposing religious reforms of King Charles I. Records show they were inhabited by George Paterson, a blacksmith, in the 18th century, but archaeologists say the network could not have been dug by one man & believe they may date back centuries.
Gilmerton Cove: chambers & passageways hewn from the bedrock sandstone that lie hidden beneath the streets of Gilmerton on the South-side of Edinburgh. An archaeological mystery. 7 different rooms with rock hewn furniture tables and chairs, after extensive historical and archaeological research investigators still don't know the exact origins of this site. The Cove has features such as a well, a fireplace, a blacksmiths forge and two back filled tunnels just waiting to be explored. An archaeological mystery that has baffled investigators for over 300 years.
Holyrood Palace and Edinburgh Palace
Ruins of Holyrood Abbey in Edinburgh, Scotland; built in 1128 by King David I of Scotland and home for mediaeval monks with HDR and grunge fancies. It has been a ruin since the eighteenth century.
Holyrood Palace stands at the bottom of the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, at the opposite end of Edinburgh Castle. Reportedly, Robert the Bruce held parliament here. Multiple invading armies damaged the Abbey, which was finally plundered during the Scottish Reformation in 1559.
The Queen's Gallery, Royal Mile, Edinburgh, Scotland. This is in front of Holyrood Palace- across from the very contemporary Scottish Parliament. The exhibits change every year & are well worth seeing.
Edinburgh Castle is a historic fortress dominating the skyline of the city of Edinburgh. There has been a royal castle on the rock since at least the reign of David I in the 12th century.
Edinburgh Castle is allegedly haunted by several ghosts, a headless drummer as been heard and seen in the 1960's, his apparition is said to be a warning to all that the castle is about to be besieged. A piper went missing down a tunnel towards Holyrood house and was never seen again, but people still hear the pipes. There is a dog cemetery at the castle, a spectral dog has been seen here. Ghostly prisoners are said to haunt the cellars.
9 Kings of Scots were enthroned on the Stone of Scone. Stolen by the English in 1296, it was returned to Edinburgh Castle in 1996.
Sir Walter Scott Monument Edinburgh
Sir Walter Scott Monument Edinburgh - a Victorian Gothic monument to Scottish author Sir Walter Scott. It is the largest monument to a writer in the world. There are 287 steps to the top of the Scott Monument, from where you can enjoy breathtaking views of Edinburgh and the surrounding countryside.
The Scott Monument, the biggest monument in the world, dedicated to a writer.
John Knox's House, Edinburgh, Scotland
John Knox House dates back to 1470, making it the only original medieval building surviving in Edinburgh. It is reputed to have been owned and lived in by Protestant reformer John Knox during the 16th century.
The Witchery is a restaurant on the Royal Mile near Edinburgh Castle which also provides bed and breakfast accommodation. The building is said to be haunted by one of the thousand people who were burned for witchcraft on Castlehill in 15th and 16th centuries. The eight bedroom suites are furnished in a gothic style with oak panelling, tapestries and antique features.
The Witchery is such a glamorous and romantic venue serving great food with excellent service. Go for lunch to enjoy the ambiance at a value for money price, or if money is no object enjoy a romantic evening dinner at Scotland's most famous restaurant.
Linlithgow Palace, Scotland
Linlithgow Palace, Scotland- a royal manor existed on the site in the 12th century. This was replaced by a fortification known as 'the Peel', built in the 14th century by English forces under Edward I. The site of the manor made it an ideal military base for securing the supply routes between Edinburgh Castle and Stirling Castle. The English fort was begun in March 1302 under the supervision of two priests, Richard de Wynepol and Henry de Graundeston.
The chapel of Templars, Rosslyn (Edinburgh) - Scotland
The chapel of Templars, Rosslyn (Edinburgh) - Scotland- Roslyn Chapel was one of my favorite places. Founded in the mid-15th century by William Sinclair who was descended from a noble family of Norman knights. It is said to have many Knights Templar symbols, and the chapel was featured in Dan Brown's novel 'The Da Vinci Code'.
Doune Castle, Perthshire
This stunning medieval stronghold near Stirling was built in the late 14th century by Robert Stewart, Duke of Albany. It stands in for the fictional Castle Leoch in Outlander, home to Jamie’s uncle Colum Mackenzie and his clan.
The Elephant House
The Elephant House, a tea and coffee house in Edinburgh, Scotland is said to be the “birthplace of Harry Potter”: J.K. Rowling having sat writing much of her early novels in the back room overlooking Edinburgh Castle. Today, Harry Potter fans from all over the world visit here and leave notes, write quotes on the walls, and share their love for Potter in one of the fandom’s landmarks.
Stirling Castle - It was known as the key to Scotland. With it's bloody history, and with the number of times it changed hands, Stirling Castle was well named.
Stirling Castle is one of the largest and most important castles, both historically and architecturally, in Scotland. Several Scottish Kings and Queens have been crowned at Stirling Castle, including Mary, Queen of Scots, in 1543. There have been at least eight sieges of Stirling Castle, including several during the Wars of Scottish Independence, with the last being in 1746, when Bonnie Prince Charlie unsuccessfully tried to take the castle.
Boldt Castle- at the turn-of-the-century, millionaire George C. Boldt, set out to build a full size Rhineland castle in Alexandria Bay, on picturesque Heart Island. The grandiose structure was to be a display of his love for his wife, Louise. After she died suddenly, the castle and various stone structures were left to the mercy of the wind, rain, ice, snow and vandals, for 73 years. This is one of the outlying buildings, now restored, as is the castle itself.
Culzean Castle, Scotland
Culzean Castle, Scotland-in a country filled with castles, Culzean is a true masterpiece. In 1777 the Kennedy family began revamping the castle, and the work continued for 20 years. It is sumptuous, it is magnificent, and its grounds became Scotland’s first country park. Culzean is everything a castle should be. The oval staircase, with its Ionic and Corinthian pillars, swirl through several stories with perfect grace. Culzean is truly a premier Scottish Highlight.
Scotland Dirleton Castle
Scotland Dirleton Castle-the ruins comprise a 13th-century keep, and a 16th-century house which the Ruthvens built adjacent. Only the basement levels survive of the 14th- and 15th-century additions built by the Haliburtons. Other buildings within the courtyard have also been demolished. Surrounding the castle are gardens, which may have been first laid out in the 16th century.The garden walls enclose a 16th-century doocot, or pigeon house.
For 400 years Dirleton Castle stood as a magnificent fortified residence for three successive noble families: the de Vauxs, the Haliburtons and the Ruthvens. Today, it is mainly famous for its beautiful gardens.
Dirleton was repaired by the Haliburton family. One can see the foundations of another large round tower, but this one has had a later 15th century square tower built on top of it by the Haliburton family. Dirleton was acquired by the Ruthvens in 1505. The Ruthvens forfeited the castle in 1600.
Blackness Castle is a 15th-century fortress, near the village of Blackness, Scotland, on the south shore of the Firth of Forth. It was built, probably on the site of an earlier fort, by Sir George Crichton in the 1440's.