Education - Teachers response to Homework and Child Labour
Dear little Joshua
Thank you for your note; On behalf of all Teachers I want to assure you that we care for kids and there are at least 7 reasons we give homework:
1) It is to make kids learn how to be responsible. If you start now, it will be a habit which will stick with you in Secondary School and University.
2) Helping you with time management. This is why we always give dates, for when you have to hand in homework.
3) It helps you grow in confidence, as you always want to do better each time.
4) Your parents/guardian have an idea of what you get up to in school and how much progress you are making.
5) It helps the lessons sink in – sometimes there is not enough time in class for the teacher to complete evaluaton. E;g many kids don’t finish a task and we ask them to finish it off at home as homework.
6) It helps you retain what you have learnt, otherwise you will start to forget things. It also provokes your mind to think more and even be creative.
7) You will learn/discover new things on your own. E.g last week, in a science class. I asked kids to go home or find a garden and pick a flower. Take out a petal, take out a leaf and write down the differences.
I hope you realise now, that when we give homework, it is not Child Labour but in your own interest. ٩(•̮̮̃•̃)۶ We love you.
Ps. Homework for now: Use your dictionary to check the meaning of all the difficult words in this letter or ask mum and dad.