- Education and Science»
- Psychology & Psychiatry
Effects and Influences of Emotions to Our Actions and Decisions
Our life is full of colorful experiences and connections that give happiness and strengths. From our experiences, this is where we develop the varieties of emotions and feelings. The philosophy of Scheter (Dy, 2007) emotion is the most important aspect that must cultivate by an individual. This kind of aspect like our sensory feelings, wants, love and anger must not be based in any other thing and our feelings. All of it has a connection to the concept of what we called valuing. It gives value as how we act, for love and hate and otherwise it needs something between them. You feel the value before you judge it.
It’s really hard to control or manage our emotions; we indirectly control or manage our emotion, through causes or effects of our action. With the ideas of Pascual, Scheler describes the proper and different levels of emotions of people.
Four kinds of emotions:
1. Sensory feelings- it refers to our five senses that give a temporary enjoyment or bitterness to us. For examples, hunger, thirsty, fragrance, taste, happiness and pain.
2. Feeling state- it refers to the present state of feelings of a person. For examples, not feeling well, not in the mood, or underpowered to do a thing.
3. Psychical feelings- the status of people to things around them are influenced by their present feelings. Because it is very natural to us to value the goodness, it is easy for us to change our feelings and mind into positive socialization. Some examples are overjoyed, happiness, sadness, enjoyment, sympathized, love and hatred.
4. Spiritual feelings- according to Dr. Jr., spiritual feelings refer to cultivation of how we value the goodness or secrecy like hope and faith.
Here are some basic or main emotions from the book of Education in values: what, why and for whom (1990, ph.51)
These emotions are said to be positive emotions but there’s a need a proper management. Even feel enjoyment or something good, you have a consideration that those things that can affect by your action.
Do you suffers mood swing?
These emotions are said to be negative emotions because these are obnoxious. For example, there are students that do not want to study in college because they cannot afford the expenses and have financial problems. Instead, they choose to work after they have graduated on high school. Somewhat, afraid of not finishing their studies; At this moment, they must develop their fortitude or they must strengthen their faith for they surpass their difficulties and fear they feel.
This kind of virtue gives an ability for the people overcome their suffering, and for them to surpass hindrances and to have a brighter future. It is really important to think deeply those things that you want to do especially in times when you are hopeless;trying to escape from the realities of life causes big problems especially if you don’t know what to do and you are suffering from a crisis and confusions. For example, you are angry with your friend because they are saying something against you. And you are thinking to make revenge against them.
Remember, it is important to reflect first and examine the situations and think the best possible solution for you not to blame yourself at the end of the day. According to Saint Thomas de Aquino the educated guess or intelligent judgments refer not only of how you handle the crisis, also, your ability to decide intelligently.
Through our emotion we show our consciousness and value of the things around themselves- like those things we see, hear, taste, smell, feel, and experience. Therefore, it must be managed well so that it will give a positive result to us and relationships with others.
According to Feldman (2005, ph.346) through our emotion:
a. It develops your awareness around us – if your classmate threatens you, obviously you feel; at fear. Because you feel that you are afraid, probably you will leave for your classmate will not hurt you.
b. You determine the best action if you feel again the same feeling- You avoid those people that possibly bring you to critical situation due to the situation you experience to yourself and others.
c. You use or develop your communication and socialization skills- expressing your emotion may be exposed or obvious through the expression of your face, punching the wall, crying or laughing. Through of emotion, we transfer or express pour feelings and we delivered our needs and hope from others.
Emotions that are not managed well may lead to uncertain actions and decisions to the situation that involves crisis, problems, or confusion. Yet, those are not enough to handle your emotions. For example, have you already heard the news that your classmate got sick because of jealousy? Or maybe a father that stays in a corner because he loses his job? Those are some emotions that were not handled or managed properly that led to self deprivation. It’s the reason why people need emotional literacy. According to Seeburger, F. (1997, phaccording to Seeburger, F. (1997, pH. 30) emotional literacy refers to two things, the ability to know and determine his emotion and the ability to know and apply the proper emotion to the specific situation.
Some scientific founded by Solovey, Guadner, and Golemana the importance of handling our emotion in improving ourselves and our relationship to others. If you manage well your emotion, it simply means you have a high EQ or Emotional Quotient that commonly called Emotional Intelligence.
How to improve your EQ? Here are some five elements of EQ (Goleman, D., 1998)
1. Knowing your own emotion-its important to have awareness to your own feelings. It will help you to understand yourself. You made a decision to yourself and you do not want always following the wants of others.
2. Managing your own emotion- the ability to manage your own emotion is really important because it has an effect to yourself especially to your actions. A person who have ability like this it is easy for him to overcome the challenges in his life and reach their goals in life.
3. Motivation- it is the ability to control yourself to do the thing for you to reach your aims that are more important than others. People who have this have a discipline to him and did not decide immediately. He spends his time to unwind and reflect.
4. Determining and understanding the emotions of others- this is the ability to feel the feelings and needs of others. People who have this know how to read and know how to give meaning the action of others. He may also search to get help from their family and friends.
5. Managing the relationships- this simply means that you handle your emotion properly in keeping your relationship to others through having kept in mind the importance of relationship. It is very important in keeping the relationships the trust to yourself and open-mindedness, respect, accepting the situation and honesty.