- Education and Science
Explain and justify the reasons behind your choice of teaching, learning approaches and use of resources-PTLLS
Explain and justify the reasons behind your choice of teaching and learning approaches and use of resources for one of your delivered sessions.
This hub gives a brief description of how the micro-teaching session was delivered, what resources were used and why they were used.
What activities and why?
I have included activities in my teaching session which include
- Visual teaching method - where I used PowerPoint slides / presentations, diagrams, models, animations, etc. and these were to help students who understand things and facts by seeing
- Demonstration - where the actual phenomenon or experiment was demonstrated by applying practically what was learnt. This is to help students get a better understanding of what actually happens. They get to see it, rather than imagining or just visualising things.
- Video clips - where the students can see how different processes take place, what actually happens. Some experiments that can not be demonstrated in a classroom environment or some phenomenon that can not be demonstrated physically can be explained with ease and understood easily through video clips.
- Classroom activities - where students get to sit together in groups to discuss certain topics, where they share knowledge. They can also sit down together to solve problems, finish off certain assignments or look into creative thinking
- Group discussions - where students feel free to share their thoughts and ideas, which can be later on summarised to create a short note or study which will help with better understanding and more creative ideas to learn and apply.
The reason for using all these methods is to bring in an inclusive method of teaching, so that learners with different learning approaches and learning difficulties can benefit and understand the subject with ease.
What resources were used?
I used different types of resources like:
- Visual methods - which included PowerPoint slides and I used them for displaying my objectives for the session, demonstration of formulae, diagrams, pictures, photos and for displaying conclusions
- Diagrams - which were relevant to the session for clear cut understanding of the structures and arrangements and all the other particles and subjects that needed demonstration visually.
- Video clips - which helped the students see for real what the actual phenomenon was and what a ctually happens in real
- Handouts - which are a reflective tool, that will help them remember important information delivered during the teaching session so that a positive attitude is developed towards the use of resources and all pupils appreciate and benefit from it.
Why have I used?
I have used these resources, because they support the learning objective and are very appropriate and supportive for this learning and thereby completes the inclusive learning process. Every student's need is met, every student leaves the session with a complete understanding of the subject in whichever learning method that suited them. Activity sheets distributed in the class help learners improve their literacy and numeracy skills because the sheets contain questions which are objective type, logical, short answers and small mathematical problems. Group discussions and activities help learners to improve their communication and interpersonal skills, thereby giving students confidence to talk or communicate and also to get to know each other in the process.
What assessments were used and why?
There are various assessment methods that can be used in a classroom depending on the students, subject taught and it might differ with each learning session. Assessment of learning will be done by
- Group activities - where students sit in groups to discuss about the same topic in different groups, or different topics in different groups and at the end of the discussion share the ideas between groups. As they always say, team work is fruitful, as we get to collect ideas from a wide range and diverse set of people.
- Class tests - which is through different types of tests, which can be objective type, short answers, problems, puzzles, etc. The answer sheets can be exchanged between students for marking,. as long as all the students are happy to go ahead with that.
- Questions and answers - which can be done in groups or individually where the teacher asks questions and asks voluntters for answers or ask individuals if they have the answer, and if they do not, the teacher can facilitate or help the learner arrive at an answer.
This will help students to openly discuss the understanding they have gained during the teaching session. It will also invoke participation of all students. At the end of each session or unit feedback will be given to help learners gain confidence, interest and motivation in learning.
P.S: On a kind note, please do not copy anything submitted here and display them in your file. This has been published here, purely to help you gain an idea / understanding of what they expect you to write and how you have to write. You will have to relate to your own subject area, experience in your classroom and lectures while preparing the files. Thank you for your co-operation.