- Education and Science»
- Life Sciences
Facts about Animals: It’s Types and Classification
Animals are found everywhere. They exist as human existed. They have own habitat, living, and functions in society. Like human, they also need foods, proper environmental care and protection. In this chapter you will know how and why animals live in a particular habitat, get and eat their food, how the classified according to the food they eat, how they adapt to the environment and how they classified.
Animals and There Habitat
Animals live in a particular place called habitat where they can find the food they eat. There are live animals and found in the pond, forest, seas, and grassland. The food is their source of energy. In order to survive, they need a continuous supply of food. Thus, obtaining food is their life activities.
Animals affect the survival of other organisms living in a particular habitat. If they remove, it will lead to cause harm to the community or organisms. Like for instance, if the algae were removed from the ponds, the smaller fish depends so much on it would die for lack of food. Conjunctively, the larger fish would die also because they depend on the smaller fish as their food.
How Animals Get and Eat Their Food
We observe how animals get and eat their food in different ways. For instance, animals like horses, dogs, cats and monkey use their teeth for eating. In addition, monkeys use their hands for grasping and holding food. Dogs use their forepaws to hold the bones, and the cats use their paws to tear the flesh of the rat.
There are also animals that do not have teeth to get and eat food. Like birds they sue their beaks to pick up and crack the seeds. They have also sharp claws to get food.
Talking about teeth animals that eat plants has flat teeth. These teeth used for grinding and chewing. Meat-eating animals have strong, sharp and pointed teeth that are used for tearing meat into smaller pieces. There are mouth parts that need for sucking looks like a long tube which is called a proboscis. There are also animals that have a long tongue at the front of their mouth. That tongue is usually sticky and pops out to catch food.
Classifying Animals According to the Food They Eat
Animals classified according to the types of food they eat. Animals that eat plants are called herbivores. Like a cow, carabao giraffe and horse eat grass and leaves. Also, bees and butterflies suck nectar from flowers; and rabbits eat grass leaves beans and carrots.
There are also animals that eat only other animals are called carnivores. For instance, hawks, owls lion, tiger eat meat of other animals. Omnivores are animals that eat both plants and animals. Like human, they eat plants like fruits; vegetables rice and corn likewise eat eggs, meat milk and cheese that are coming from animals. Therefore, man and some animals like dogs and cats are examples of omnivores.
Do you think genetic engineering is essential in reviving extinct animals?
Animals stay alive in their environment because of their structures which is called adaptations. They have body structures that depend and protect themselves against the attack of their enemies. For example, dogs use their canine teeth to bite enemies and cats use their claws to cut deep into the flesh of an enemy.
Certain animals adapt themselves to the environment through camouflage and other tricks. Camouflage is an adaptation that allows the animal to hide by blending into its surroundings. For instance, grasshoppers, which are green in color cannot be easily seen in green leaves and grasses. This type of adaptation is cryptic coloration that helps animals to survive.
- Biotic Factors of Ecosystem: Producers, Consumers and Decomposers
Ecosystem is composed of biotic factors of a community of living organism interacting with one another which we can see in food chains/webs.
- Types of Mammals: It’s Characteristics and Their Habitats
These vertebrates belong to Class Mammalia and they are commonly called mammals. A mammal is an animal that gives birth and raises its young on milk.
- Kingdom Animalia; General Characteristics, Classes and Roles
We humans are not alone in this planet. We have diverse creatures who dwell within our land and we must know what's there purpose, classifications and role in the environement.
Classification of Animals
They are animals that have a backbone. Some vertebrate animals like monkeys and birds have bony backbones and other like fish have cartilage as support. Bones are muscles made up of minerals and they are hard, while cartilage does not contain and they are tough and flexible.
Five Classes of Vertebrates
- Mammals- A warm-blooded vertebrate with insulting hair and mammary glands. They do not lay eggs and they give birth to their young. They feed their young with milk. Examples are dogs, cat’s carabao cows, goats and pigs.
- Birds- they are covered with feathers. Unlike mammals, they lay eggs with hard shells. Birds have one pair of legs and wings. Examples are snakes, turtle’s lizards and crocodiles.
- Amphibians- Ectothermic vertebrates intermediate without fish and reptiles that spend part of their life on land and part of the water. When they are young they live in water and when they already mature they live inland. Examples are frogs and salamander.
- Fishes- A cold-blooded vertebrate whose gills fins and scales adapt it to living in the water. They lay eggs and their gills used for breathing.
Animal (Classification) Song
They are animals with backbones.
Groups of Invertebrates
- Porifera(sponges) - Pore-bearing animals
- Coelenterates(hydras) - Hallow-intestine animals
- Platyminthes(flatworms, tapeworms) - Flattened elongated warm-like animals
- Nematodes(roundworms) - Elongated unsegmented warm-like animals
- Mollusks(snails, clams, squids) - Soft-bodied animals usually living in a shell or exoskeleton
- Anthropods(insects, crabs, spider, centipedes) - They are segmented animals with hardened outer skeleton and jointed appendages.
- Echinoderms( starfish, sea urchin) - They are spiny-skinned animals
You might like this:
- Top 10 Most Attention-Seeker Lovers Online
There are a lot of lovers online. They have different characteristics. Some may be just as good, but others seem to be so annoying.
- 14 Social Media Sites to Skyrocket Your Blog Traffic
We cannot deny the fact that in this Informational era people are judged based on their knowledge and understanding. But before the ancient times, people are known to be powerful and influential if they are strong and wealthy.
- Reforestation: A Valiant Effort to Save Our Environment
Today, we are all endangering ourselves. Changes widely occur and extinction comes nearer and the doom awaits the earth faces.
- Zombie Apocalypse In Africa,'Ebola Victim Rises from the Dead Story Is a Hoax?
Ebola is a vicious disease caused by a virus, it has five strains and four of them are fatal that can make people really sick.