Strange But True Health Facts
- Believe it or not, every one has their own individual tongue print. Just like everyone has their own fingerprint, so do they have their own tongue print. Who knows, someday they may be using tongue prints as well as fingerprints as a way of identifying people.
- People are more likely to lose weight when paying for groceries with cash. It turns out that they are less likely to buy unhealthy foods when using cash than credit.
- Your fingernails grow almost 4 times faster than your toenails.
- You cannot catch a cold or flu at the North Pole in the winter. It is so cold, the temperature is so low that the none of the standard disease causing micro-organisms can survive.
- Your eyeballs are an extension of your brain. They are attached to a lobe at the back of your head that is responsible for sight information.
- Nuts can cure a toothache. It turns out that the gram-positive bacteria which causess tooth decay are killed by the chemicals in cashews.
- As an adult we have fewer bones than a baby. We are born with 350 bones but because bones fuse together during growth, we have only 206 as an adult.
Each tongue has it's own set of prints | Source
- An allergy to beef can cause Gulf War Syndrome symptoms. The classic symptoms of Gulf War syndrome are: fatigue, rashes, muscle and joint pain, headache, loss of memory, shortness of breath, stomach problems and breathing problems.
- Hair is virtually indistructable. It cannot be destroyed with cold, water, change in climate, and is resistant to many acids and corrosive acids. It also decomposes at an extremely slow rate.
- The average person sheds more than 50 million dead skin cells per day.
- Every three to four days you get a whole new stomach lining. It is believed that if you didn't the acid in your stomach would destroy your stomach lining.
- The largest cell in the human body is the female egg. The smallest cell is the male sperm.
- The brain knows everything but can feel nothing. The brain has no receptors for pain.
- You can stop bleeding with black pepper. Black pepper has analgesic, antibacterial, and antiseptic properties. Simply sprinkle you cut with black pepper and the bleeding will come to a halt.
Black pepper scan stop bleeding. | Source
- Females blink twice as many times as compared to men.
- Your brain is an oxygen hog. Even though your brain is only two percent of your body mass it uses 20 percent of the oxygen.
- The human body has about 100 trillion cells, about 20,000 times more than the number of people in the world.
- You cannot tickle yourself. Because it is you trying to tickle yourself your cerebellum warns your brain and the sensory part of your brain knows to ignore the sensation.
- You can disinfect a wound with honey. Honey has powerful antibacterial properties that are capable of destroying most strain of wound-infecting bacteria.
- The small intestine is about four times as long as an average adults height.
- The human body has as many hairs on it as a gorilla. The gorilla's hair is easier to see because it is longer and thicker than human hair.
- Drinking too much water can be harmful. Your kidney is unable to process more than 3/4 to 1 liter of water per hour. The excess water begins to enter your cells causing brain swelling leading to seizures, coma, respiratory arrest or even death.
Drinking too much water can be harmful. | Source
- Metamucil, a fiber supplement, can help lower your cholesterol. Not only can it help lower cholesterol by 7 percent when taken before each meal, it is said that it also helps to lower blood pressure, blood sugar, and the risk of heart disease.
- The jawbone is the hardest bone in the human body.
- A hearty laugh a day can expand the inner lining of your blood vessels by 22 percent. This helps improve your cardiovascular health and feeling of well being.
- A woman's arthritic pain will almost always disappear as soon as she becomes pregnant. No one knows why.
- There are as many neurons in our brain as their are stars in the galaxy, approximately 100 billion.
- The human body generates enough heat in half an hour to bring water to a boil. Our bodies expend enough calories to keep us at a steady temperature of 98.6 degrees which is a high enough temperature to boil water.
- Over 125,312 people per year are injured while in or around a bed. These injuries includ; tripping over the bed, hurting oneself on the headboard, or simply falling out of bed.
- Health Effects of Benzoic Acid, Sodium Benzoate and ...
Benzoic acid and sodium benzoate are food preservatives and are generally safe. However, under some conditions sodium benzoate can change into benzene, a dangerous substance.
- Health Benefits of Drinking Coffee - Good News for C...
Good News for Caffeine addicts - Studies have shown that there are many health benefits to drinking coffee! Enjoy your coffee without guilt after you read about the many benefits of drinking coffee.
- Puzzling Health Facts Learned By Reading the Obituar...
I learned a puzzling health fact by reading the obituaries -- Some of the folks who have the best health care and generally low-stress jobs are dying shortly after or even before the age of 65! This doesn't make sense to me, if we accept as true the.
- Little Known Facts About Hair Removal
I have many times wanted to shave my head, having tired of hair care and hair styles altogether. During these times I think back to the Parisian trend of the 1970s in which ladies shaved their heads completely and wore hats that comprised a band of..
- What Your Hands Can Tell You About Your Health
We use our hands all the time, and yet hardly given them a second thought, except to make sure they are clean. Our hands can tell us so much about our health, if only we knew what to look for. From the shape, texture and color of our palms, fingers a