- Education and Science
Free Homeschool Education Ideas
In today’s tight economic times, finding good deals is very important. For those who have taken on the adventure of homeschooling their children, educational materials can seem extremely expensive. In this post, I’m going to cover some of the ways that you can enjoy education material for absolutely free!
1. The Library. Okay, I know it’s an old-fashioned idea; however, the library is still a great place to find free educational material. While it’s quite unlikely that the library will be able to provide you with all the resources you will need for a subject, they are still a great help. With an abundance of books, educational videos, and media, it’s a guarantee that you can find something.
2. Free Field Trips. Yes, free field trips do exist! There are quite a few educational field trips your family can take that will spark your child’s interest in subjects like history, science, and wildlife. If you can’t get in for free, many places have homeschool discount days or will give you a nice school rate when you go with a group.
3. Get Rewarded to Read! The Pizza Hut Book It Program is a reading incentive program that rewards children with free pizzas when they read books. The program is completely free an, since you get a pizza, it’s more like you’re being paid to participate. This helps to promote literacy in children and can be a way to get kids to read when they would rather be playing.
4. Online Resources. The internet offers a vast array of learning opportunities and it’s time for homeschool parents to start taking advantage of these free resources! Rather than allowing children to look to the computer as a form of entertainment, you can start instilling the idea that the internet is a learning portal. Promote internet searches on historical characters, and work with your student to learn which websites are reputable and trustworthy.
5. Use Second-Hand Textbooks. Look for textbooks ahead of time at sales or discount book stores. There are multitudes of homeschool book sales each year and, with the internet, you can also purchase books online. Although the books have been previously used, they are often in great shape and come at a fraction of the original price.
With these and other money saving methods, it’s certain that you will be able to continue teaching your children at home without breaking the budget.