Gate to your Gate Exam
What is GATE?
GATE is an all India examination, which tests candidate for their complete knowledge of different subjects in Engineering and Technology. Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is held by seven different IITs, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India by IISC Bangalore, Department of Higher Education and National Coordination Board GATE. The number of candidates is increasing year by year and it is one of the toughest examination in our country. GATE score is valid for two years and the candidates who cleared this exam will get a chance to doing there Master’s degree at NUS, (National University of Singapore), Singapore.
The GATE score is very helpful for the candidate for the admission in various post graduate programs like Master of Technology, Master of Engineering and Doctor of Philosophy in India. The financial assistance for the qualified students is provided by MHRD and different government agencies. Nowadays, GATE score is also useful in getting jobs in public as well as private sector. You can switch your branch also by doing Master’s in another branch which you will get on the basis of your GATE score. It depends on the conditions applied by the institute or particular department of that institute, the candidate may get admission by his/her GATE score, by his/her academic record or by interviews.
Eligibility Criteria for GATE Exam
There is an eligibility criteria for applying for this examination. These following things must be satisfied while applying for GATE:
- The candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Architecture or Pharmacy (4 years after 10+2 /Post-Bsc. /Post Diploma) and final year students can also apply for this examination.
- The candidates having a Master’s degree in any branch of Science, Mathematics, Statistics or Computer Application.
- Candidates with degrees similar to Btech or B.E which are accepted by UPSE or AICTE can also apply.
- Candidates who have Dual degree program or 5-year Integrated Masters degree program or 4-year Integrated Master’s Degree Program in Engineering or Technology are also eligible for GATE.
The candidate having a backlog in last semester examination or during the degree and not cleared at the end of last semester cannot apply for GATE. Candidates cleared their final semester examination or degree, but with a backlog, have to submit a copy of any one of the mark sheet of final year and a letter from the principal.
A weightage of about 70% is given to the GATE score while taking admission in postgraduate courses with MHRD scholarship and the scholarship is valid for only two years of the Master’s degree program.
The examination date for this examination falls in the month of February. The forms will be available online since last week of September until the last week of October.
How the questions will be asked?
There will be a total number of 65 questions of aggregate 100 marks in all papers. Out of these 65 questions, there will be 10 questions in General Aptitude (GA) which would carry a total of 15 marks. The General Aptitude (GA) carries 15% of the total marks and the remaining percentage of the total marks will be carried by the subject of the paper. There will be two different types of questions:
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) : These questions will carry 1 or 2 marks each in all sections and papers. In these questions, options will be given out of which you have to choose the correct option. There can be more than one correct option in these types of questions and you will get marks only if you mark all the correct options.
Numerical Answer Questions: These questions will carry 1 or 2 marks each in all sections and papers. In these questions, there will be no options provided. You have to solve the question and type the real number answer using virtual keypad.
How to prepare for GATE Exam?
For preparation, first choose the subject and then collect the syllabus and relevant books for it. There is no need to complete any syllabus or mug up the things to clear this examination. All you need is to clear your basic concepts and the use of common sense. There is no need to explain anything in this examination rather its very important to focus on your concepts. If it is taking more than 7 steps, then recheck the approach as generally GATE problems are not too lengthy. There is a need of 5-6 months preparation for this examination. Joining a coaching would be helpful as you will get an expose to new tricks and patterns. While preparation, don’t forget to see few last year question papers. Revise the topic 2 or 3 times which you consider is your weak point. In order to keep a check on your progress, conduct weekly self tests. For these weekly self tests, prepare your topics and set a time limit for the completion of your paper. It would help in preparing your topics, as well as increase your speed also. A problem or question may solve in different ways by using some tricks and methods. In order to save time, use tricks and simple methods instead of complicated methods as time and speed matters a lot during examination. Solve as many problems you can from different books so that you can use different approaches and tricks. There is no use of applying methods always as some problems can be solved by using own common sense. So, always keep a check on your knowledge and capabilities. The revision must be started before one month of the examination. You should have marked important topics and points before on the week of the examination.
How to deal with the question paper?
First, choose to answer one mark questions as they can be solved easily and will build up the confidence in you. Then proceed towards two mark questions and you have to be careful while attempting this section. Then attempt General Aptitude section. After doing this, you will be completed with 43 questions, which is a great job. After this, there will be 22 questions left from technical section and you can easily afford 55 minutes for them. Make sure, don’t put your brain on the question in which you are confused as it will steal your time. After all this, you can also keep 10-15 minutes extra for your revision. Don’t panic while giving the examination as this can ruin your whole paper.
What will you get from GATE score?
- Candidates with good GATE score and All India Rank will get the chance of doing their post graduation in top colleges of India.
- Nowadays, many PSUs (Public Sector Undertakings) are hiring candidates on the basis of their GATE score.
- If you are planning to be a lecturer in any college and demanding a higher package, then the GATE score card is compulsory.
- You must be GATE qualified for the award of Junior Research Fellowship in CSIR Laboratories and CSIR sponsored projects.
- You can consider your 100% placement if you carry a good GATE score.
- For the various courses offered by reputed institute like BARC, GATE score is compulsory.
- MHRD pay scholarships to the GATE qualified students who are doing their Master’s degree in any college.