Gelusil - Side Effects
Gelusil is antacid, an anti-gas tablet that relieves heartburn, stomach upset and bloating. Gelusil contains antacids that neutralize the acid in the stomach and maintains a neutral concentration thereby relieving the irritation or pain in the stomach. It acts only on existing acid in the stomach and does not prevent the production of acid. it also helps in dissolving of some foods and aids in digestion.
How to use Gelusil tablet
· Take the medicine orally before or after meal.
· Chew the tablet thoroughly before swallowing.
· Drink a full glass of water.
· Don't take 2 doses of the tablet at once. (If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember).
How to use Gelusil liquid
· Shake the bottle well before use.
· 1 to 2 teaspoonfuls to be taken before or after meals.
Who shouldn't take Gelusil
- If you are taking calcium supplements.
- If you are allergic aluminum hydroxide, magnesium, simethicone.
- If you are allergic to any ingredient in Gelusil.
- If you frequently use alcohol.
- If you suffer from kidney problems.
- If you are pregnant.
- If you are breast feeding.
Consult your doctor if you have any of the above conditions, And use only if prescribed by the doctor.
Possible Side Effects
- Allergic reactions like rashes
Consult your doctor only if these side effects persist.
Medicines that may interact with Gelusil
- Citrate salts (may increase side effects that arises from gelusil).
- Phosphate supplements.
- Sodium polystyrene sulfonate.
Do not take Gelusil with following medications unless prescribed by your doctor
- Never take more than 12 Gelusil tablets in a day.
- Do not continue medication for more than 2 weeks unless prescribed by the doctor.
During pregnancy gelusil should be used only when clearly needed. Be sure to contact you doctor before you take it. There is a possibility of the medication being transferred to breast milk.
1. Take smaller meals. Smaller meals are easily digested and keeps the acidity level lower.
2. Avoid foods like chocolate,alcohol, caffeine if you have a problem of Acidity as they increase acidity and irritate the stomach wall.
3. Avoid foods that are rich in oils and fats. Such foods makes the stomach to release more acids.