I Am Honored to Call Myself an American
God, Guns and Guts
These words, on a banner, hanging in a quaint little Mom & Pop restaurant, on the banks of the St. John's River, caught my eye. I was fixated on the words for all of about...five seconds before my phone was out and I was capturing a picture. All while history lessons from long ago resurfaced and all while sentences began forming and coming together, in my head.
Additionally, thanks to modern technology, Amazon and instant gratification.....our very own God, Guns and Guts flag is currently making its way to our home. Upon arrival, it will share a place of prominence, on our eclectic back porch, right alongside, our American flag plaque which boasts four words, "These Colors Don't Run".
Love it, so excited...it really is, the small things!
I am so tired of the knocking of America.....by Americans!
I am so tired of the disrespecting of our President and of this great Nation.
I am appalled by the behavior of too many elected Government officials...elected by the People...to represent the People and abide by the laws of this Nation...but instead, they are off on their own little destructive crusades!
Some with their newly acquired power, others who have been in much too long and have lost their way, thinking they are targeting a man that doesn't belong in D.C., thinking they are only hurting this President.....as if that’s okay!
But...Trump, isn't hurt by them, we the people are, this Nation is!
Every single citizen of this Nation, whether they voted for Donald Trump or not....should be appalled by the non-ending, radical resistance against our President and against this Nation.
While these screwed-up crusaders do what they feel is their part, I will do mine to help to drown them out and I will leave it there for now, I did not intend to go off on a tangent (but, I’m not taking it back either)
Contrary to that which is being pushed down the throats of young Americans these days.
Contrary to the constant criticism the U.S.A. receives from Democrats and Rinos...especially, or so it seems, when they are running for office and contrary to all of the negativity that we are all constantly exposed to....the United States Of America is a very, very special place!
I feel blessed beyond measure and I am honored to call myself an American!
The fact that we are here; how we got here, how we've managed to stay here, is truly miraculous.
God had a hand in it, from the get-go.
"We were up against one of the most powerful nations in the world, certainly the superpower of Europe. We had no munitions plants, we had no uniforms, we had no supplies, we had no navy, we had no real army. And to think of taking this nation on, and ever thinking that we had a chance of winning was nothing short of a miracle.....it was a miracle."
- Professor David Goss, Gordon College
Involved in the fight for independence, were the Minutemen. Nearly every single one of them, identified as Christian. They believed that all authority was subject to the authority of God and they believed that God’s will was that man live free!
Colonists were enslaved by the Brits, they were living under oppression and the Minutemen saw it as their duty, their mission, their purpose... to fight the powerful and mighty oppressors and with the blessing of the most powerful, most mighty, most high, they fought! Oh boy, how they fought!
- In our Supreme Court building, there is a statue of Moses, holding the Ten Commandments
- Our Founding Fathers wrote, “we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights.....”
- Benjamin Franklin fought for our Great Seal to be of Moses, his staff lifted toward heaven, parting the Red Sea (he obviously lost that fight, but he gave it a good shot nevertheless)
Because God was invited into the formation of this Nation, we have been immensely Blessed!
"There is a time for all things, there is a time to preach and a time to fight."
- Pastor John Peter Muhlenberg
With these words, the Preacher removed his robe, took up his musket and entered into fighter mode. He and three hundred members of his congregation, joined up with George Washington and the 8th Virginia regiment, in the fight.
I am certain, the Preacher and the members of his congregation, which took up arms, also had axes and pitchforks back home, but how far would axes and pitchforks have taken them, in the fight for our independence?
- "An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But, we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone, is life so dear and peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death." - Patrick Henry
- " What Country can preserve its liberties, if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." -Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison
- "The Constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their arms." - Samuel Adams
Did you know....
The 21-Gun Salute, witnessed at military ceremonies, represents a significant sum, representing a very significant year -
1 + 7 + 7 + 6 = 21
At the break of dawn, April 19, 1775, while 700 British Redcoats were marching toward them, 77 Minutemen, watched and waited; their trusty muskets at the ready, used up until this moment in time, for hunting and in defense of their families.
Their mission now...much loftier!
I can’t imagine the thoughts and scenarios that must have been playing out in their minds, knowing they would be outmanned, but ready and willing to take up the fight ...for liberty, whatever the cost!
Their leader, Captain John Parker, spoke these words, "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
A shot rang out in the early morning of that day, I remember it described in History studies as, the shot heard around the world...
….and so, it was on, the fight for our Independence!
A monument at this location is inscribed with these words:
- "On April 19, 1775, the die was cast, the blood of martyrs, in the cause of God and their Country, was the cement of the union of these States, then Colonies. They nobly dared to be free and the peace, liberty and independence of the United States of America was their glorious reward!"
I wonder....is this where the phrase, no guts, no glory, came from?
It is probably from an earlier time, whatever the case, the phrase sums it up, quite sufficiently for me!
Another group of gutsy men, which must never be overlooked, are the
Signers of the Declaration of Independence.
If we had not come out victorious, they would have hung for their actions.
Fortunately for them (and for all of us)…..we were victorious, but even so, many of them went through a lot, as a result:
- One-third of them, wealthy at the start, ended up in the poor house
- A handful were imprisoned for treason
- Others lost their homes and sons to the war
but, I'm certain, none of them had any regrets!
Today, we have people offended with every mention of God, offended by our history, our values, our traditions...our existence!
Today, we have people, actively working to take away our guns, or at the very least, restrict our use of them.
They can't possibly know or understand anything about our History, can they?
Today, some people have described themselves as shaken and trembling, at the mere mention of an announcement, 'the Vice-President of The United States is coming to their College'.
He has been invited, to make a speech!
How do people like this even manage to get out of the bed in the morning?
What has happened to us and what would those that came before, think of us?
The words, “These Colors Don’t Run” are on the plaque which hangs on our back porch, that’s a brave and bold statement, wouldn’t you agree?
How many of us would be willing to back up those words?
How many of us are willing to take a stand for the preservation of this Nation?
Journal of the American Revolution
World Book Encyclopedia
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 A B Williams